Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel hard turn (sound of something small loose inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 04:34 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post steering wheel hard turn (sound of something small loose inside)

When I make a hard turn, it feels like there is some small loose metal object inside the steering wheel that falls down to the bottom of the steering wheel (sound of something small like some kind of bearing). I hear the sound only in low gears at low speeds but I make most street turns at low speeds (recent work done included airbag service about a month back).

Car drives, feels just fine otherwise including steering feel. No change at all. I even kept wondering if it was my mechanical self winding watch which makes a sound when shaken hard but it is NOT it. So it is a not easy for passenger seat occupant to distinguish but after trying a bit my passenger heard it too.

Worth a visit to the dealer? Or for other issues to come up or just a harmless loose object ? Any theories out there.
Thanks for any input.
Old 06-10-2001, 05:38 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Ran,
I guess that they must have left something loose inside,eg. a washer or nut. Take it back.
This kind of thing bothers me. I think that these cars were built with a lot of care and attention to detail - hence the relabilty and rock solid reputation. But I feel that this is let down but poor service techicans all around the world that don't match the original attention to detail. The number of times I have had to take my car back after an OPC service is rediculous.
Sorry about the rant (and I have no hard evidence that this is the case here), but I feel that this problem is endemic.
Tito
Old 06-20-2001, 12:30 PM
chin
5th Gear

Hi Ran,

Yesterday while making a turn, I heard something that sounded like a small piece breaking off inside the steering wheel. Now when I turn, I hear the piece rolling around somewhere in the steering wheel. It seems very similar to what you've described.

Did you get it fixed? Do you have any idea what it is?

Appreciate any info. Thanks.

- Chin
Old 06-20-2001, 12:55 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Well, I figured that I would get it taken care of on my next visit to the dealership in about 6 months for oil change. But it just went away in a couple of days actually... maybe the loose washer or nut, as suggested by Tito, just lodged itself somewhere. If my airbag activates itself, maybe the washer will also come out like a bullet leaving a nice washer mark on my face More likely it could be somewhere deeper in the column and hopefully, will not be a problem anymore.

Anyway, everything always felt okay even with the sound which stayed with the car for only about 2 to 4 days (steering still felt normal). I try to avoid dealerships doing too much to my car. Dealerships, in my experience, rarely get you back to factory fit and finish and this was probably the result of my airbag service when they were possibly updating or checking something.

I hope it just disappears for you too. If mine comes back I will still probably mention it only when I go for my planned biannual oil service (in six months or so).

Let me know how you make out even if you choose to go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: steering wheel hard turn (sound of something small loose inside)