993 Forum 1995-1998

Used Tires???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 01:34 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Used Tires???!!!

I ran across an unusual businss yesterday. I guy here in town has a whole warehouse full of moderately used performance tires. He says he imports them from Europe where he buys them from Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, and AUDI factories. Presumeably after being used for testing or when they want to put brand new tires on prior to selling.

Anyway, he has S02's for the rear that appear to have another 5-7K miles on them for $40 each! They've been evenly worn..looked good.

Any thoughts on this? I don't generally go in for used stuff like this but the cost savings are pretty dramatic.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:42 PM
GB 95 CAB
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought S02s from AK Tires in Tampa (before I moved recently) and would do it again. They represent themselves honestly and they were even reasonably careful with my rims (I tipped the guy). I have the s02s on backup rims which I use for track events, since having a slightly worn tire is preferable and also this keeps my street tires looking fresh and performing well in the rain. I am not a big fan of the S02s, but that's an answer to a question you didn't ask.

BTW, the story I got was that these tires are off street cars. Claims TUV standards require replacement at 50-60% wear. Beware, some of the S02s I looked at did not have the rubber rim that protects the tire from curb encounters.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: GB 95 C2 CAB ]
Old 06-09-2001, 01:45 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Those are the guys. I might give 'em a try next time....
Old 06-10-2001, 10:42 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use used Hoosiers at the track - the best deal going if you ask me. $70 each Hoosier. I would definately use used tires for the street - especially at that price.

If you don't mind telling us, maybe you could increase your friends business by giving us the contact information. I would like to talk to him.

Thanx,
Old 06-11-2001, 12:25 AM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Last year I went to Radial to get a new set of front tires since the old ones developed bubbles and they wouldn't pass the tech inspection ...they happnened to have a pair of good used ones same Pirelli's and they are still good after several DE's. Same situation somebody upgraded the full set and I happened to be there at the right time of course the price was right.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:48 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know anything about them, but here's the website for AK Tires.

And who'll be the first on the Board to sport those classy "glow-in-the-dark" wheels

AK Tires USA
Old 06-11-2001, 10:05 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

I haven't purchased any tires from these guys yet but they balanced my old tires and did a fine job. They know how to handle the rims, took their time, torqued them properly, and did an excellant job. Shop was clean and organized...lots of guys with German accents.

I've got another thousand miles on my rear tires and will give them a shot...

Think I'll pass on the glow-in-the-dark rims, though...

Quick Reply: Used Tires???!!!