993 Forum 1995-1998

Total Transformation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 11:48 PM
John Copeland
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Total Transformation.

After purchasing my '98C2S I was happy but somewhat underwhelmed by the stock suspension set up. After much research, I visited Kevin Buckler at The Racer's Group @Sears Point. The result-Total transformation! Words alone cannot express my total satisfaction. After a conversion to Big Red Turbo brakes and the RSR suspension kit the car is totally dialed in for aggressive street/track driving. The improvement is at least an order of magnitude. My highest recommendation to The Racers group for anyone who wants the ultimate 993 suspension and handeling setup. Simply amazing and well worth the money! Total Transformation
Old 06-09-2001, 06:25 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

When I was in the market for a normally aspirated 993, almost all available cars were regular NON-sport suspension. I found them quite soft and almost could not imagine it being much better even with the sport option.

I asked about it on rennlist and everyone suggested that the sport was better but I could not find any available. It seemed like many do not order them though this forum has lots of people who do order them.

I eventually bought a TT with an upgraded suspension so it was just right for me in that it took care of my biggest real disappointment with the Porsche search. I think it made it so much easier to say YES to the car right away.

So I know exactly what you mean as regards complete TRANSFORMATION though I do not have what you have.

Here is what my car has..

Front:- Eibach springs; Bilstein adjustable gas struts; Adjustable Porsche swaybar; strut brace

Rear:- Porsche struts (bilstein) adjustable; rear sway bar adjustable; adjustable sway links, teflon greasable bushings.

Of all the cars I test drove this one was the best suspension wise. And the turbo power certainly helps

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: Ran ]
Old 06-09-2001, 12:48 PM
John Copeland
3rd Gear

It sounds like pretty much the same set up.
Bilstein RSR front struts,upper& lower perches using Eibach 800x225x300 coilovers,and 900x225x500 coilovers.The sway bars are adjustable 25mm front and 22mm rear.
With the car lowered about 1.5 to 1.75 inches. No more soft wollowing coming out of hard corners, it rides like it is on rails.
Old 06-09-2001, 07:44 PM
David T.
Advanced

John, I'm glad to hear that you had better experience with TRG then I had.

Can you, please, confirm:

1. That you have single springs with non-variable rates 300lb front and 500lb rear, correct?
2. Are sway bars factory RSR or TRGs own bars? If later are you getting full adjustments (all three positions) on the back sway bar?

Just to clarify I have TRG installed JRZ suspension setup with double springs and TRG sway bars. Problems I have are: spring perches in between of two springs are hitting the shock bodies; TRG bars have bolt on retainers (vs. welded in washer kind of rings on the factory bars) which are too big and are hitting sway bar mounding points; rear TRG bar does not have enough clearance for the last (stiffest) position on the bar.
Old 06-10-2001, 01:08 AM
John Copeland
3rd Gear

David,
I do have the single rate Eibach springs, and the TRG sway bars. I have not noticed ant clearence problems. After a strong session on Hwy 128 between Cloverdale and Booneville, (many esses, 270degree turns, and strong switchbacks with elevation changes)I returned home and downmounted all four wheels (18" technology) to clean up brake dust and check everything out. Everything looked fine, although I do intend to return to TRG for a slight tweak adjustment of about 1/2degree neg camber and full firm (from mid hole} on the rear bar. I suppose that will be the real test.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:28 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by David T.:
<STRONG>John, I'm glad to hear that you had better experience with TRG then I had.

Can you, please, confirm:

1. That you have single springs with non-variable rates 300lb front and 500lb rear, correct?
2. Are sway bars factory RSR or TRGs own bars? If later are you getting full adjustments (all three positions) on the back sway bar?

Just to clarify I have TRG installed JRZ suspension setup with double springs and TRG sway bars. Problems I have are: spring perches in between of two springs are hitting the shock bodies; TRG bars have bolt on retainers (vs. welded in washer kind of rings on the factory bars) which are too big and are hitting sway bar mounding points; rear TRG bar does not have enough clearance for the last (stiffest) position on the bar.</STRONG>
I have the TRG package on my 993. I currently have set the stiffest position on the rear sway bar without any problems. It's sounding to me like your drop links are prohibiting from making the necessary adjustment. The only change I had to make to use the stiffest position was the removal of the "useful" dust guard on the lower a-arm (Thx Steve!

I also at one point experienced knocking or shifting of the front sway bar, but that was remedied by moving the sway bar collar mounts securely against the assembly. TRG aided in that fix, so you might want to follow up with them on that.

Hope this helps.

-Matt
Old 06-11-2001, 01:55 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your rear anti-sway bar is knocking against the rear control arm you may need to adjust the height of the droplink mount point on the strut body. At least on the H&R struts this part is threaded and you can move it up and down. Depending on your ride height it might have to be adjusted. I had to play with mine until I was able to get a nice angle on the droplinks to clear the control arm. Remember when the adjustment is made the car must be fully lowered to inspect it, and the suspension travel checked to observe clearances. It's pretty tight but you should be able to get it setup very nicely with no chance of rubbing.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:50 PM
David T.
Advanced

Matt - thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Matt in Austin - 95 993:
<STRONG>

I have the TRG package on my 993. I currently have set the stiffest position on the rear sway bar without any problems. It's sounding to me like your drop links are prohibiting from making the necessary adjustment. The only change I had to make to use the stiffest position was the removal of the "useful" dust guard on the lower a-arm (Thx Steve!

</STRONG>
This is not doable in my case I and (TRG mechanics on two separate occasions) have tried different variations of drip link length and position of the mounting point on the shock without success. They finally say that they will CNC machine new drip link, but I did not bothered.

Originally posted by Matt in Austin - 95 993:
<STRONG>

I also at one point experienced knocking or shifting of the front sway bar, but that was remedied by moving the sway bar collar mounts securely against the assembly. TRG aided in that fix, so you might want to follow up with them on that.

</STRONG>
Yes this helps however it was a temporary fix in my case, after about 6K miles (probably 1K at the track) it got loose again.

In any case I have already ordered factory bars from Gert and I'll see if it fixes my problem.

Quick Reply: Total Transformation.