Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you keep the oil level on the dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 09:19 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where do you keep the oil level on the dipstick?

The oil level on my dipstick is between the low and high marks, but the oil level indicator stays in the red. I dont know if there is a problem with the indicator or whether I am not keeping the oil level full enough. I just bought the car and the inspection didnt show there to be a problem with the gauge and they seemed to do a very thorough job.

Where do you guys keep your level? Is the oil level gauge very sensitive to minor changes in level (can the oil being 1/2 quart low put it in the red)? Do you think I have a problem with the guage?

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:30 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

If your dipstick shows you in safe territory I think you are safe. Also, after running the car for about half an hour or so, stop at level ground leaving the engine on. Check your gauge at idle. It should be at 3 o clock position. While driving it will be at or around the red mark and this is explained in the manual too I think as normal.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:54 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by john-'96 993 cab:
<STRONG>The oil level on my dipstick is between the low and high marks, but the oil level indicator stays in the red.</STRONG>
Hi John, welcome to the world of 993s.

I had exactly the same problem as you when I first bought my car, about 9 months ago - my first Pcar. I thought that there was something wrong with my oil level gauge until a Porsche service tech showed me how to properly read the dipstick at which point it turned out I was about a quart low.

First as others have mentioned, make sure you are on a level spot with the engine oil temp gauge reading at least the first white line. This ensures that the oil is up to temp and that the thermostat is open and oil is flowing to the front oil cooler.

Second, make sure you thourghouly clean off the dipstick before you check the oil. I go so far as to twist the stick in my rag to get all the nooks around the bends.

Third, when you pull the stick out to read the level there will probably be residual oil from the dipstick tube that got on the twisted, reading section of the stick. It is kind of hard to explain without showing you, but you will see a difference on the stick where this residual oil is and the actual oil level on the stick. It is a thick band at the actual level, while the other is thin and spotty. Once you see it you will understand, but I have a feeling that you are not actually reading the oil level.

I should know because mine was low enough not to register on the stick.

If you do find yourself to be low, add it slowly and watch the gauge, once again on a level spot with the engine hot. You will be surprised when the gauge all of a sudden 'pops' up out of the red as you add oil.

Hope this helps. By the way, check out P-car.com it is the best 993 resource you will find. Robin, its creator, is a popular Rennlist member.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:53 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Thanks for the info, guys. I was low on oil like you suspected. The gauge moves out of the red briefly then returns. Where is you level gauge during normal driving? Maybe I am still a little low on oil.

Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2001, 04:34 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

During driving the level stays at the bottom. The only time the level gauge works is when the car is warm and you are stopped on a level spot. That is it.

Quick Reply: Where do you keep the oil level on the dipstick?