2 questions on 96 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 04:37 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2 questions on 96 993

Hi everyone,

Loving the car! 2 questions for all of you?

1- I have a noise behind the dashboard from somewhere just above and behind the radio. It is like something is loose and I onlu hear it when I go over a bump, sort of like if something was bolted but was half loose. Any ideas?
2- What should the oil readings be while driving on all 3 gauges? while standing still with the car warm everything is at about half level but when driving the oil pressure is all the way up (good?) but the oil level indicator drops all the way to just outside the red ( bad?) . Any help is appreciated.

Fred in Florida
Old 06-07-2001, 04:50 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 169 Posts
Fred,

1) This could be the infamous windshield rattle...I'd have to hear it myself...

2) These readings are perfect. The oil level indicator reads from the oil sump, which will be almost empty while the engine is reving. The level guage only reads accurately when the engine temp is above 250F (about 9 o'clock position) and the car is on a level surface. A good rule of thumb for the pressure is 1bar for every 1K RPM. A good rule of thumb for the temp is that it should never go above the top tick except on a hot day at the track (and even then the oil cooling fan should quickly bring it back down)

Hopw that helps!

sean
Old 06-07-2001, 04:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Question 1: No idea, sorry.
Question 2: You have three gauges the temp gauge should be in the middle or less depending on the outside temps, what type of traffic you are driving in, etc.
The oil level gauge is only accurate (and that is debatable) at idle on a flat surface, with a warm engine, the difference between the lowest mark and the highest mark is a quart, so if you are in the middle you are fine. Once you are under way this gauge doesn't tell you anything ingnore it.
The oil pressure will increase as you give more throttle, you should be worried if it wasn't in the 4-5 bar region under throttle.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:03 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Talking

Great!,
Sounds like everything is A-OK then. I was really worried about the oil level gauge while I was moving. The rest of the readings I felt were fine. Thanks, for the extremely fast responses.

Fred
Old 06-07-2001, 05:12 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Fred

(1) You are right, something is half loose sorry couldn't resist. More usefully, if it is a creak - it's the windshield, but if it's a clunk, I would look under the hood close to base of windshield - you should be able to pull the black plastic cover off and check for loose objects, small animals etc. If you can't figure out how to take this off, check Robin's DIY section for the pollen filters at Robin's Web Siteand this shows it.

(2)Completely agree with the other posts
Old 06-07-2001, 06:12 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Thanks, I'll check for something loose under the hood. It definetelly isn't a winshield creek. It is a clunk from something that sounds pretty solid but doesn't sound like it is completely loose, that's why I said like it is half way unbolted or something? I'll check it out after fishing this weekend. .

Fred
in Sunny Florida
Old 06-07-2001, 06:28 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One more point about the oil level gauge. It may or may not be accurate, in your car. I suggest checking the oil with the dipstick, and compare that to the gauge. I have done that a few times and concluded my gauge is accurate. You may or may not be so lucky.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:02 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim from Pasedena, mentioned tightening a bolt beding the ashtray for a similar noise. Tito.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:04 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

that should have been 'behind'
Old 06-07-2001, 08:21 PM
Jim Williamson
Cruisin'

Anyone know the ideal quantity of oil (per the dip stick readings) you should retain in the sump. My dip stick level indicates middle (between high mark & low mark) but level indicator gauge shows almost zero. On the older 911s the level was supposed to remain in the middle. How about 993s? Thanks.
Jim
Old 06-07-2001, 10:03 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Jim see my post higher up on board about oil gauge.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:25 AM
Tim 95 993 Pasadena
Track Day

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fred 993C4S:
[QB]Hi everyone,

Loving the car! 2 questions for all of you?

1- I have a noise behind the dashboard from somewhere just above and behind the radio. It is like something is loose and I onlu hear it when I go over a bump, sort of like if something was bolted but was half loose. Any ideas?

Fred... I posted this reply previously, but it may help you also. It solved all my "squeaking" problems...

I own a '95 C2 and had a squeak coming from the left
side of the car when driving over potholes, bumps and
choppy roads etc. It drove me crazy and was getting worse. It sounded like it was coming from the windshield. When I had the 30K service done on
the car, I mentioned it to my mechanic. He removed the
ashtray and loosened the bolt that is directly behind it.
This bolt holds the dash and it must of had some sort of
"preload" on it. When it was loosened the bottom of
the dash "sprung down" very slightly. When the bolt
was re-tightened the dash and the car was absolutely quiet! I don't know if you have the same problem...but it's
worth a look.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:57 AM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Thumbs up

Thanks for the good tips, I'll check it out this weekend, this deal with the dashboard souns like it could be it. The sounds seems like something pretty big clunking behind and just above the radio.

Fred
Old 06-08-2001, 12:56 PM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

Originally posted by Jim Williamson:
<STRONG>Anyone know the ideal quantity of oil (per the dip stick readings) you should retain in the sump. My dip stick level indicates middle (between high mark & low mark) but level indicator gauge shows almost zero. On the older 911s the level was supposed to remain in the middle. How about 993s? Thanks.
Jim</STRONG>
Jim, your dipstick level is right on-halfway between the marks when warm. Remember that yor oil level gauge will only start to rise when your car is fully warmed up, then only at idle. It is notoriously inaccurate, and has led to numerous overfills in the past. Bruce Anderson, 911 guru has so little respect for this gauge he calls it the "entertainment gauge".
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2 questions on 96 993