993 for tall guys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 04:18 PM
danoberer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 for tall guys...

Dear Listers,

I am looking to buy a 993 in the near future. Preferably a c2s. The last of the best - like looking at a fine hand-made swiss watch. I was hoping folks could give me advice on modifications to make it comfortable for a 6'7" driver. What are the best aftermarket seats with tall headrests, to obtain extra headroom? Can a steering wheel hub extender be installed on the stock wheel? If not, what wheel-extender combos fit the 993? Has anyone taken out the sunroof and installed a fiberglass plate with new headliner (for racing, etc.)? The sunroof coupes are way too small for me. Ideally, I would like a sunroof delete - any of those out there? Thanks for your help!

Dan
Old 03-20-2004, 04:23 PM
kary993
Drifting

Very few sunroof deletes out there! I am only 6' 3" but have extremely long body which is more like someone who is 7' tall. I was forced to have a custom seat mount made to get enough head room for wearing a helmet and to make it comfortable to drive normally. If you have very long legs (I do not) and you move the seat back the slope of the car roof comes down more only making the problem worse. So be careful about distance from the front as the highest point is really near the steering wheel.

Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

I have this problem too. I'm 6'0 with a 31" inseam. I'll be buying the Recaro Pole Positions which should give me 3-4" more headroom than my sport seats, I hope, and have heard. From what I understand the Pole Positions are the biggest seat that Recaro makes. I can't wait. No more sliding my butt forward to prevent my hair from rubbing the headliner. Doing that gives me a backache too...
Old 03-20-2004, 07:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by kary993
I am only 6' 3" but have extremely long body which is more like someone who is 7' tall. Good Luck!

Only?

As Kary said, few sunroof deletes out there, especially in the US.

I am almost 6'2" and with factory sport seats, my hair-do would brush the headliner. I am long (and wide) bodied as well. This set-up was no good, especially with a helmet on..

I ended up bolting in Cobra Imola2 seats in the car with the drivers side bolted directly to the floor with some plates that I whipped up...problem solved

Not sure what to do if you wish to keep stock seats in the car?

BTW, there is two positions to bolt in stock seats fore and aft. Most cars that I looked at were in the forward most position. I too need to space my wheel closer to me..
Old 03-20-2004, 08:06 PM
kary993
Drifting

Dan is 6' 7" so I felt kinda short, thus the "only" comment ;-)
Old 03-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 993 is a sunroof-delete car, though I'm merely 5'11". I've seen only one other 993 without a sunroof in the 10 years they've been on the road.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts

Dan, I think you need the M6'7 option code, "Front seat delete".
Old 03-20-2004, 11:32 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just installed the Pole Positions with the sliders and you will gain less than an inch if that and without the sliders an additional 3/4". I take out the seat bottom cushions for the track and probably gain an additional 1" which works fine for me at 6'3" and 220lbs.

Others have mentioned bolting seats directly to the platforms that support the seats, but you will only gain a little bit of space. I have heard of others having the platforms cut down in height to gain more space, but luckily didn't need to do that myself.

As for extensions for the stock steering wheels - I haven't heard of any that will fit with that steering wheel, but also haven't done a lot of asking around. IF you find one, please send me a PM or post it in a separate thread as I would find that quite useful.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Skip
Old 03-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The sunroof-delete 993's are fairly rare but mostly it's just hard to find them because there's no easy way to search for words or phrases that would occur in the ad.
The Pole Position can work -- it works for me. I'm "only" a little over six feet, but I like an upright driving position and, with a helmet and a sunroof, there's no way.
I installed a Pole Position (with brackets and sliders) but slotted the brackets to drop the seat another inch or so. I also removed the cushion from the bottom of the Pole, which is still comfortable and gives a more snug feel and positions my shoulders appropriately in the backrest.
Being 6'7" you might also leave the sliders out (meaning you'll have to position the seat fore/aft and then drill the brackets to go directly into the floor. If you get really, really funky, you can relocate the ECU from under the driver seat (to beside the seat) and get the seat bottom right down onto the body.
As mentioned, the sunroof delete gets you more headroom but pulling out the sunroof doesn't help because your helmet (or head) will be contacting the frame of the sunroof in the roof shell. $2K-$4K to a good body shop and you could get a real delete done and fresh paint blended in up there.
My next 993 project includes cutting out the sunroof and creating ample head-room.
Another thing, when planning your head room, if you're tracking the car, realise that even with a six-point harness, your body can move six inches (and much more if you don't have the harness properly installed and tightly cinched down) in any direction (perhaps excepting down through the seat, but not excluding backwards through the seat) so if you are unlucky, your neck will be trying to stop your body from pushing your helmet through the roof ... that thought encouraged me to go to some lengths to ensure I had ample room above my head.
By the way, steering wheel yokes/adapters/hubs/quick-release splines etc. are all illegal for DOT street vehicle applications. The "reason" being that repositioning an air-bag could effect its effectiveness or make it dangerous if too close to the driver. Second, any of these devices could fail or jam or whatever (sure, they work for endurance racing with manual steering racks and massive slicks, but noooo, they're not safe to tootle around the shops with power steering and a Latte in your other hand ...
That said, I think you can find yokes at any race shop, but I've never found one that works perfectly on a 993 -- please let me know when you solve that one.

Cheers,

Last edited by Carrera GT; 03-22-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:12 PM
nman413
Drifting

Adam with his usual brand of humor

Quick Reply: 993 for tall guys...