Sponsored by:

Lidatek - LE 20 install

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Skytop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Has anyone found a comprehensive review of the Lidatek unit??
It appears like a panacea for laser attack but I would also like to read an objective review of the unit by a reputable source before purchasing.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Skytop
Racer

Angry

Found 'some' data so far but no reviews as yet....

Laser Jammers

Found this helpful page of laser echo info: <a href="http://www.radar.co.nz/usa/usechofaqs.html" target="_blank">http://www.radar.co.nz/usa/usechofaqs.html</a>
----------------------------------
November 1996 "Car & Driver"
This was a test of a laser jammer (the Lidatek Laser Echo) and a plate cover (T3 Technologies ). Having a front license plate makes a huge difference to the abilities of LIDAR to pick up the vehicle - around 2600 feet. The laser Echo ws quite effective in reducing the range of the LIDAR gun, although it depended on the vehicle. Chrome trim is a problem, as it reflects the laser very well.
---------------------

Laser is a highly precise technology. That makes it easier to jam. Passive devices like license plate covers only reduce the range of the gun, aren't really worth it. The K40 license frame with infrared diodes works on the same idea, does not fully jam the gun. The Lidatek Laser Echo completely shuts down the police laser gun. This unit is excellent and highly recommended if you live in a high laser state like Ohio. There is a small laser transmitter that mounts on the plate or the front of a car, and a computer that goes inside the car. The unit is fully automatic - it detects the police beam and fires back. An alarm goes off in the car. It shuts down automatically after 5 seconds. Again, you want this to happen. If you do the math you see the jammer offers about 600 feet of protection at 80mph. This is fine because the police fire from a distance of about 700-900 feet.

Note that the unit offers less protection at slower speeds. If you're going 40mph you have only 400 feet of protection. If the officer was smart he could get a 2nd hit off you while you were still far enough away. He must do this manually. At higher speeds when jamming stops you are too close for a 2nd hit off your car. Lidatek advertises in Car & Driver and other auto mags. The computer can accept up to 3 transmitters. You can put one on the rear, or two on the front for large vehicles (SUV's etc.). The unit with one trasmitter costs $380. For more info see the January 97 Roundel magazine, pg. 44. I have no association with Lidatek.

Stealth?
Radar absorbing paint and bras never caught on because the radiator is the biggest reflector of radar energy in most cars. After that comes the headlight reflectors then the license plate. Driving with your high beams on emits enough infrared energy to reduce a laser gun's range by 50% or better.

All detectors except the Valentine 1 transmit (leak) some energy.

Even with the power turned off, some detectors and all jammers keep the local oscillator* energized because its the best way to ensure the output frequency does not drift due to heat. Detector-detectors look for the output of this device. They work REAL well according to my experiences in Canada. The Valentine 1 is the only detector that is properly shielded and will not set off a detector-detector (the dreaded VG-2) at close range.
------------------------------
<a href="http://www.radardetectorauthority.org/radar/r/m/radar_jammer_nav.htm" target="_blank">http://www.radardetectorauthority.org/radar/r/m/radar_jammer_nav.htm</a>
Old 12-27-2002, 08:17 AM
MarkC
Instructor

Skytop,

Try <a href="http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" target="_blank">www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk</a> for a review.

Enter the site, then on the panel on the left hand side go down to the "Laser Jammer Tests" area and the link "Target LRC 100".
Lidatek units are marketed under the Target name in the UK.

I have the earlier LE850 which I can confirm works brilliantly.

Mark
Old 12-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Competed the install yesterday. I used some epoxy putty to fasten the transducers to the bubble level in the headlight. I'll get some photos out today if I get a minute.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:03 AM
Skytop
Racer

MarcC:
Thanks for the heads up!
Skytop

Quick Reply: Lidatek - LE 20 install