Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATE super blue not compatible w/ ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 12:41 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
Post ATE super blue not compatible w/ ABS?

I had my car aligned before christmas, and the mechanic had a can of ATE type 200 on his bench. I asked him why he used that over the super blue, since they run a good sized ride and drive race program, and he said they used super blue in non ABS cars. I knew that the type 200 fluid had similar properties like boiling point, etc, but I didn't know that the 200 is the only one approved for use with ABS. I've been using the blue for 2 years now. Has anyone else heard this?

Happy Holidays!
David
Old 12-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
David

I have blue in my coupe.

No problems with the ABS. It was put in by a race shop and most of the trackheads I know use it alternating with Gold.

M in C
Old 12-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Never heard that before. The reason for the color difference is to be able to tell when you have bleed the old stuff off.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:57 PM
cmoss

I too, had heard that the only diff 'twixt the blue and gold was color.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,126 Likes on 2,887 Posts
Blue works fine with my ABS...
Old 12-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by David Edwards:
<strong>I had my car aligned before christmas, and the mechanic had a can of ATE type 200 on his bench. I asked him why he used that over the super blue, since they run a good sized ride and drive race program, and he said they used super blue in non ABS cars. I knew that the type 200 fluid had similar properties like boiling point, etc, but I didn't know that the 200 is the only one approved for use with ABS. I've been using the blue for 2 years now. Has anyone else heard this?

Happy Holidays!
David</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi David:

LOL,.....Its a mystery why your mechanic would tell you that Super Blue (no longer available) is not ABS-compatible.

Super Blue & Type #200 are chemical clones of each other and only differ by color.

You may use either product with complete peace of mind aside from the availability of the blue version,....... Evidently the Federal DOT will not permit any dyed brake fluid to be sold in the USA and this forced ATE to stop importing that product earlier this year.

Although it was nice to be able to alternate fluid changes between Super Blue and Type #200 to ensure that one product was flushed completely through, the amber color of Type #200 makes it much easier to visually determine moisture absorption by observing the color change from light amber to various shades of tan & brown.

Quick Reply: ATE super blue not compatible w/ ABS?