993 Forum 1995-1998

PCARMARKET and how it went...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 12:17 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,028 Posts

If any Rennlist members need practice negotiating in an extreme high-pressure everyone you speak to is upselling automotive environment just go to a BMW dealership service center with a blown-out tail light bulb on your out-of-warranty vehicle. Have a little arm wrestle with a "Service Advisor". For some car owners it's a kind'a Purgatory one must go through to get one's car back, for others, it's a fun sport, a blood sport at that!

Andy
The following users liked this post:
mdude (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 01:11 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Is Adam one of the “top guys” at PCM?

No, Adam is not one of the people to whom I was referring.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:14 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
My understanding of the BAT process is that if it is very close to reserve BAT will chip in some of their 5% to get the sale. This way BAT gets at least some portion of their commission. If the car does not meet reserve and the high bidder and seller work out a deal afterwards BAT receives zero commission.
This way the seller gets the minimum amount that they agreed upon, BAT gets some part of their commission and everybody is supposed to walk away happy.
I wonder how this works in practice however. Maybe if the auction is close to meeting reserve but hasn't, some websites try to get the seller to drop the reserve so they don't have to chip in their share of the 5%? Seems like a crappy way to make an extra 50 bucks though.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:40 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
I wonder how this works in practice however. Maybe if the auction is close to meeting reserve but hasn't, some websites try to get the seller to drop the reserve so they don't have to chip in their share of the 5%? Seems like a crappy way to make an extra 50 bucks though.
I doubt they’d give up their share. They just see that the bid is close to the reserve and try to pressure the seller into lowering their reserve so the car will sell and they’ll make their cut.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:44 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Or, as seems to be the case here, they cut out the inconvenience of getting formal seller approval and lower it themselves.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:56 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Or, as seems to be the case here, they cut out the inconvenience of getting formal seller approval and lower it themselves.
If true, that is highly unethical.

Their Seller Agreement does mention, “In some rare cases at the sole discretion of PCARMARKET, a portion of the proceeds may be paid to the buyer by PCARMARKET should a bid fall short of the Reserve Price. The Reserve Price shall be established between the Seller and PCARMARKET prior to the commencement of the auction.”
Old 09-15-2020, 02:01 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

My experience last winter was very slimy also- was bidding on a car- went to 100k then decided to retract my bid to 95- sent them an email- seller hit my bid and email was ignored.
Decided to go ahead with deal even though it left bad taste with me.
Thought the process was BS
Old 09-15-2020, 02:04 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 493 Posts

This whole thing stinks something fierce.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:06 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

PCA needs to divorce themselves from these scumbags
Old 09-15-2020, 02:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by m32
While it doesn't seem like BAT uses the high-pressure sales tactic like PCM does, I believe BAT also uses a similar "sell lower than reserve" price tactic. I was in communication with a seller on a BAT auction regarding his vehicle. When the auction closed/sold, I congratulated him and he was surprised that the car sold as the price was slightly less than his reserve price. I replied maybe BAT nets the difference off their fees to make him whole but he never replied back so one can only assume what truly happened.

OP, sorry you had to go through this. At least one positive takeaway is that you convinced me not to use PCM if and when I sell my Pcars

Edwin
BaT site clearly says something like......" we reserve the right to make up the difference $$$$ to close a sale in the event an auction would otherwise be RNM.
That way they still get a commission on a closed deal.
m32 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 02:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmauro
My experience last winter was very slimy also- was bidding on a car- went to 100k then decided to retract my bid to 95- sent them an email- seller hit my bid and email was ignored.
Decided to go ahead with deal even though it left bad taste with me.
Thought the process was BS
what does this mean, "seller hit my bid .......l"?

Sounds like you made a good faith bid and then had second thoughts.
Do auction sites allow bid retraction??
Tarek307 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 02:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobbyp
My understanding of the BAT process is that if it is very close to reserve BAT will chip in some of their 5% to get the sale. This way BAT gets at least some portion of their commission. If the car does not meet reserve and the high bidder and seller work out a deal afterwards BAT receives zero commission.
This way the seller gets the minimum amount that they agreed upon, BAT gets some part of their commission and everybody is supposed to walk away happy.
Well said.
That's what I read when I agreed to sell a car on the site.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,468 Posts

While I follow BaT and the newer carsandbids, Pcarmarket has always struck me as a less-than operation and doesn't get a second look...

That said, the OP's first post is more than a little confusing.

Their reserve price - not mine - was established at $42k.
The fun really began when $42k was reached

Sold for $42K!!!
Wasn't there an agreed-to reserve price between both Pcarmarket and the seller *before* the auction started? What was it?? I've never seen any reserve auction where that wasn't well defined,. In general, if you put your car up for auction on one of these online auctions, you are agreeing to THEIR reserve. You can try and negotiate a higher reserve with them prior to the auction, but there is only one reserve price.

I recently auctioned a car through carsandbids, and this process was crystal clear. They initially suggested a reserve well below my estimated market value, I provided them some comps (from other recent online consumer auctions), we agreed on a price, and off it went. Sold for just over reserve. The process was crystal clear...

And while not needed in my auction, carsandbids also has the policy that they can, at their sole discretion, sell the car and make the seller whole by reducing their commission if the final bid is just under reserve.

Last edited by pfbz; 09-16-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:32 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
While I follow BaT and the newer carsandbids, Pcarmarket has always struck me as a less-than-legit operation and doesn't get a second look...

That said, the OP's first post is more than a little confusing.

Wasn't there an agreed-to reserve price between both Pcarmarket and the seller *before* the auction started? What was it?? I've never seen any reserve auction where that wasn't well defined,. In general, if you put your car up for auction on one of these online auctions, you are agreeing to THEIR reserve. You can try and negotiate a higher reserve with them prior to the auction, but there is only one reserve price,

I recently auctioned a car through carsandbids, and this process was crystal clear. They initially suggested a reserve well below my estimated market value, I provided them some comps (from other recent online consumer auctions), we agreed on a price, and off it went. Sold for just over reserve. The process was crystal clear...

Sorry for the confusion - I know it's a bit complicated but I'll do my best and try again: Initially, they tried to establish a reserve price of $42K which I refused. We agreed on a $45K reserve and, of course, I was hoping the car would fetch more during the auction. So, we both mutually agreed to a reserve price of $45K and PCARMARKET sold at $42K. Without my consent, without me knowing - they just did it anyway!

Hope this explains more better and "crystal clear"...

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by Holytin:
CorrdoBrit (09-15-2020), N2B8TOR (12-06-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 03:35 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
. We agreed on a $45K reserve
wonder if similar lack of clear communication was also a factor in this debacle...

Last edited by pfbz; 09-16-2020 at 08:00 PM.
paddlefoot64 (09-15-2020)

Quick Reply: PCARMARKET and how it went...