Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

PCARMARKET and how it went...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 04:25 PM
Theanswrismiata
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if that’s a “really?!” because those seats are awesome looking or because this thread is talking about bad experiences and that guy tags an auction they have
The following 2 users liked this post by Theanswrismiata:
911F1 (09-16-2020), I am the Walrus (09-17-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:28 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Not going to answer this! Other questions included.
If several people ask for clarification on information you think you've already provided, it's usually a clue that either:
  1. The information given was confusing or contradictory.
  2. Everyone else is stupid.
Hmmm.... As a hint, Rennlisters in general are decidedly not stupid.

Last edited by pfbz; 09-16-2020 at 04:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
I am the Walrus (09-17-2020), mdude (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:31 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
I don't think try is the operative word
He didn't get ripped off, they tried to. He still has the car I believe.

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
Old 09-16-2020, 04:38 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_540
He didn't get ripped off, they tried to. He still has the car I believe.
This is my understanding and the reason for my wording.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Folks,

Whether or not the car was sold is not the point of Holytin's post, IMO. This thread is serving as an admonition for any sellers who are thinking of entering into an agreement with Pcarmarket to sell their car, and that detail seems to be quite clear to me. If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd be feeling similarly frustrated (outraged?) at the tactics used to move the car and pressure me.

I think we should be appreciative that the OP took the time to describe his experiences. In the interest of absolute fairness, if Pcarmarket wishes to tell their side of the story, please free to PM me. I may re-open the thread so that another side can be heard.

Closing this thread for now and may re-open it later regardless if Pcarmarket chooses to convey additional information. Making this a sticky and will modify the title to alert other consumers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark in Baltimore:
koister2001 (09-16-2020), paulkromz (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Pcarmarket just PM'd me and said they would like an opportunity to respond.

The thread is now open. Please keep it on topic.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:31 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 101 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by 177mph:
abarthguy (05-03-2021), CorrdoBrit (09-16-2020), notabot (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 PM
PCARMARKET
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Response from PCARMARKET

Pcarmarket cares greatly and listens closely to any feedback or criticism that comes our way. We are however quite surprised at the judge and jury method of execution portrayed in this thread. Our staff is filled with Porsche enthusiasts that love the brand and share the passion of those who make up this extraordinary community. We know the standard of which you, the community holds us to, and strive not to disappoint.

About this specific transaction: From our perspective, the claim that @Holytin did not agree to lower the reserve is incorrect, however, based on the phone call we received from the seller following the auction, there was obviously a misunderstanding. Once the seller explained his position, he was given the option to cancel the transaction. Pcarmarket subsequently notified the buyer that the seller would not complete the transaction.

Pcarmarket is not in possession of the car or title. In addition to being unethical, lowering the reserve without the seller’s authorization does not benefit Pcarmarket in any way.

Additionally; It should also be noted that, according to the seller, Bring a Trailer gave him a $43K reserve for his vehicle, clearly indicating that this was in the range of where the car would most likely sell.

As many of you know, BaT dictates the reserve price. Period. If you agree with their reserve, your car gets listed. If not, it does not get listed. Pcarmarket has taken a position to be more flexible with reserve pricing and allow sellers to place the reserve where they feel more comfortable. Upon consignment, a team member informs the seller that a representative would call on the final day to discuss the option of lowering the reserve and sell the car. Of course, this can sometimes cause some anxiety on the seller to make a decision at the spur of the moment. This is clearly what happened in this case. There was no malicious intent and the reserve was not lowered without authorization. As you would imagine, a great majority of the Pcarmarket community have no issue and as a result, many cars have been sold to very satisfied buyers. Even with all good intentions, we understand that some sellers can have a challenging experience in making an on-the-spot decision to lower the reserve and sell the car. As a result, we have asked our management team to look into this method and make the necessary adjustments to assure a quality selling experience.

Sincerely,

PCarMarket Management
The following 2 users liked this post by PCARMARKET:
notabot (09-16-2020), TexasPorschelover (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,359 Likes on 585 Posts

PCarMarket has contacted me to solicit based on my personal for-sale ad, even after I specifically stated I did not want to auction my car.

I help a friend with his online ads and he has had multiple calls from PcarMarket even after stating he does not want to auction his vehicles.
And he also received phone solicitations DESPITE a statement in his ad that solicitation for auction is unwelcome.

I’m offended that PcarMarket would take my personal contact info from my ad and call me to push their service.

I find that tactic unscrupulous and obnoxious. Especially after being told the calls are not welcome.
I contacted PCA National and lodged a complaint.

The following users liked this post:
raclaims (09-18-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:31 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Pcarmarket just PM'd me and said they would like an opportunity to respond.

The thread is now open. Please keep it on topic.
Excellent. It would be good to hear from them and like all young companies should have an opportunity to improve and self correct. Having more than one online auction option is a good thing if they are competitively delivering value and doing so with ethical practices etc.

Last edited by TexasPorschelover; 09-16-2020 at 10:35 PM.
PCARMARKET (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:29 PM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I listed my 2016 Spyder with PCARMARKET earlier this year. Yes they contacted me based on seeing my ad on RL, but as noted in this thread by others I didn’t begrudge them for doing so. It’s called sales and cold calling is necessary to be successful. I found Adam to be a fellow enthusiast and we chatted about Porsches. He and his team were great to deal with. Yes, I got the call to lower the reserve 10 mins before auction end, which I did, but the car didn’t reach that price and thus didn’t sell.

FWIW, the reserve price they suggested was in line with what a couple prospective buyers had felt the car was worth prior to me listing with PCM. Ultimately the local dealership bought it for a couple grand above.

I‘ve found this thread troubling because car buying and selling is an emotional process and stuff can get blown out of proportion. Not saying that people
haven’t had negative experiences with them but the bad tends to be exacerbated when taken public like this.

Last edited by wesr; 09-17-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Addt’l context
neun und drei (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:49 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
PCarMarket has contacted me to solicit based on my personal for-sale ad, even after I specifically stated I did not want to auction my car.

I help a friend with his online ads and he has had multiple calls from PcarMarket even after stating he does not want to auction his vehicles.
And he also received phone solicitations DESPITE a statement in his ad that solicitation for auction is unwelcome.

I’m offended that PcarMarket would take my personal contact info from my ad and call me to push their service.

I find that tactic unscrupulous and obnoxious. Especially after being told the calls are not welcome.
I contacted PCA National and lodged a complaint.
pcar market solicits everyone even if you list your car on Facebook they solicit you, get your email somehow even call you when you ask for them not to call. I’ll never list my car with them.
Spyerx (09-20-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:57 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Long thread. I’ll add my 2 cents. Just sold my 991.1 C4S privately a month ago to a great buyer in Cali. It was listed on Autotrader and cars.com. Yes; PCAR called me multiple times. Honestly I can’t say I was annoyed. They were polite and friendly on the phone. Clearly enthusiasts. I’ve watched some of their YouTube channel and it is definitely entertaining to me. Were their calls unsolicited? Yes. I guess it just takes a bit more to upset me. They are hustling to grow a platform and business. I can’t blame them....I really hope this thread doesn’t derail their growth because...if no harm was done to OP...we may lose out on a good resource.
The following 3 users liked this post by andrewjn:
pettelli (05-06-2021), TexasPorschelover (09-17-2020), Todynot (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 08:47 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewjn
Long thread. I’ll add my 2 cents. Just sold my 991.1 C4S privately a month ago to a great buyer in Cali. It was listed on Autotrader and cars.com. Yes; PCAR called me multiple times. Honestly I can’t say I was annoyed. They were polite and friendly on the phone. Clearly enthusiasts. I’ve watched some of their YouTube channel and it is definitely entertaining to me. Were their calls unsolicited? Yes. I guess it just takes a bit more to upset me. They are hustling to grow a platform and business. I can’t blame them....I really hope this thread doesn’t derail their growth because...if no harm was done to OP...we may lose out on a good resource.
agree. Have no problem at all reaching out asking for the business. Wish youngsters in my firm would do much more of that. Normally it doesn’t fall in your lap without effort. The issue that started the thread was selling below the reserve. They admit a a miscue. Car isn’t sold. They acknowledge some issues to improve on. All good. Move on. Thread was useful.
neun und drei (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:32 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope this still qualifies as an appropriate/on-message question .... but I’m curious why the OP chose PCM over BaT in the first place. What were the specific advantages the OP identified that motivated him/her to auction the subject car through PCM?

I enjoy reading through the BaT presentations ... have probably picked up a lot of “marketplace info” in the process, especially about “non Porsche” cars ... but know next to nothing about PCM.

Last edited by dave morris; 09-17-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: PCARMARKET and how it went...