Sponsored by:

Long time lurker, first time poster

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 12:41 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allen, this only applies to widebody cars that came stock with 17 inchers. The turbo offset (40mm) would not work on a narrow body car. It would push the wheel out beyond the well.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:42 AM
Burnham
Instructor

Thanks for all the input, I forgot to mention the car is Versuvious and the 17" cups are kind of colour coded (dark greyish), they have really grown on me and the ride from them is great. I changed from 16" to 18" on my last car and the difference was huge. They looked great but the ride was worsened.

I think the suspension is lowered on my car, so they do fill the arches nicely.

For the time being, Bins, is right! I think I'll enjoy what I have got (at least untill I have some of the repayments behind me!).

Thanks,

Ross
Old 05-13-2002, 07:16 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Burnham:
<strong>
I think the suspension is lowered on my car, so they do fill the arches nicely.

Ross</strong><hr></blockquote>
Hi Ross

Unless modified otherwise, you will have lower suspension than narrow body 993s, but like mine, probably don't have M030 sports suspension, which is no lower on Euro S cars, just a tad firmer. Mine came with the 18" option and Assymetricos, which I think is a really excellent combination. Add a strut brace and handling is fantastic on road and track. Just choose the tyre pressures to suit your driving style!

If you look for 18s be wary of the wheel weights, 3 piece and RS wheels are significantly heavier than hollow spoke, and I think the new 996 18s are light too - refer archives for Viken's treatise on the topic.

HTH, Cheers, Maurice
Old 05-13-2002, 07:31 AM
Burnham
Instructor

Thanks Maurice,

I have found a set Turbo 1's for £695 (made by Mille Miglia) that are the same weight as OEM solid spokes...and also some RS (Tramont) for £1,150...both 8.5x18 front and 10x18 rear. I think I will give it a few months to see how I get on with the 17"s though.

I think you are correct with the suspension....it did look lower than a C4 at the same garage, but its by no means a harsh ride. I still cant get over the fact that at 70-80Mph it feels like your doing 40!

These cars are unreal.....my face ache's from smiling so much.

Cheers,
Old 05-13-2002, 07:37 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Burnham:
<strong>These cars are unreal.....my face ache's from smiling so much.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Enjoy...
...Then if the smiling wears off slightly, Maybe Time to Modify...
Old 05-14-2002, 01:33 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Burnham,
Congrats! IMHO, the 17s look great, especially color-coded to that beautiful color. The narrower fronts should give better steering feel than the wider 18s, and they are lighter than 18s (except perhaps the hollow-spoked Turbo 18s) -- less unsprung weight is a good thing.

Quick Reply: Long time lurker, first time poster