Sponsored by:

P-Car Re-Seller

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-Car Re-Seller

In my search for the right car I have come across the following places that deal specifically (not entirely) with Porsches.

Buxton
Holt
RPM
Premier Sportscars
PAR

Can you guys give me some feedback on these and recommend some other sources for good clean 993's ? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With respect to RPM

I've dealt with Ray Joseph but did not buy a car from him since I found exactly what I wanted from a private collector.

I lot of people think he charges to much, I'm not one of them. He has extremely clean low mileage cars. Just my opinion but some of the people who buy from him want essentially a new car and for whatever reason didn't buy the model they now want when it was introduced.

If you're interested in one of his cars price should not be a major or primary concern. If he has what you want and you're willing to pay you'll most likely be very happy.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 728 Likes on 337 Posts

From what I have read here Premier is the worst of them, followed by PAR. There was a thread a while back about Schmitt and their ethics. I remember reading a thread about Premier where someone had bought a car from them with prior damage and they were trying to return the car. Had to take them to court? I have no dealings with them or any of the others though. RPM has a decent rep for most. Sometimes you have to jump through a few hoops in order to find a car. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:17 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't touch Premier.

Try this fellow - Dave Maynard - I used him and he is great. He found my car for me in Virginia (owned by PCA President Tom Bobbit).

http://www.europeanlocators.com/
Old 03-16-2004, 02:20 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dealt with Premier in my search as well.....the salesman Chris....returned calls...emails...and was very professional. However, I felt is unwillingness to negotiate a real problem. He didn't want to have a PPI done unless I flew out there and looked at the car in person....I can appreciate this but I wasn't going to drop 4bills to fly out there for it and not end up buying the car.

As he says...."Someone is going to buy this car at my price...whether it is you or someone else....this is the number we will accept".

Ok...I said....I pass.

Good Luck Luke......
Old 03-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Agro1
Banned

Nice. Thank you all. The search continues...

What do you guys think about just sitting tight and waiting for one to pop up at a Porsche dealer that is Porsche approved ? There's some good peace of mind down that road...
Old 03-16-2004, 02:24 PM
mhaney
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a 98 C2S from RPM 2 weeks ago. I have been very pleased with the entire process. I was impressed by Michael Willhoit (willhoitenterprises.com) but RPM had the exact car I wanted. I paid top dollar, but I essentially have a new 993. I was unable to find anything similar through classifieds.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 728 Likes on 337 Posts

Just keep looking. When it comes down to it, it really won't matter where you get it if it is what you want.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like Dave Maynard. I found him to be a straight shooter, and there is absolutely no pressure or any other sales crap. Always responded/responds to emails, whether or not they are about a car for sale or just general info about some Porsche-related thing.

BTW - if you tell folks what you are looking for, you may find it... be specific, and enjoy the search.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:44 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Someone a while back bought a 993 from RPM which the buyer claimed that it later turned out to be previously wrecked.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:50 PM
evdean
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i purchased a car from Holt a few months back. although i felt the price was a bit high, you get what you pay for. Tim is a straight shooter and took care of a few minor things on the car before delivery.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Maynard is a good guy. I didn't buy from him but he was responsive and no BS.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:42 PM
solsrch
Pro

I have to give Dave Maynard a thumbs up as well. Good guy, tells it like it is, plus he takes some pros with him to the auctions so he can really cover a car well. Another excellent option is Kathy Elliot. Dave is more regional. Kathy is more nation wide. Dave probably has more Porsche specific expertise but she does A LOT of work (checks paint thickness to find resprays, runs down maintenance records informally, etc.). I'd feel comfortable with either representing me.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't say enough good things about Dave Maynard, and I was so frustrated and over-informed by the time I got to him I'm sure I wasn't the easiest customer.

He is extremely well-connected in Porsche circles nationally, and as a result he tends to know about cars and resources that others simply don't.

One small example: with something like three quick phone calls, he arranged for a high-level Porsche mechanic, complete with Bosch Hammer, compression tester, jacks and specialized tools, to travel several hours into *rural Georgia* to do the PPI on my car--the next day and in the seller's driveway.

Very satisfied customer, no affiliation.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:25 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a C2 on RPM's web site this summer and purchased the car. Dealing with Ray Joseph was a good experience and my car has turned out to be just as advertised. I paid top dollar but I have no regrets.

Good luck,

chuck

Quick Reply: P-Car Re-Seller