New (to me) 9932S

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 08:04 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
If the sunroof gaskets are original, they're probably shot. It should be quiet. It's easily adjustable ( check the forums here) but you may need to replace the seals- these are wear-parts regardless of mileage and the rubber inside the felt breaks down over time making for a n incomplete seal.
I've had mine up to 160 on the track and the sunroof is silent.

Replacing the forward outer felt strip/trim/seal is easy and will likely resolve your problem.
Andy
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
M. Schneider (08-17-2020), stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:29 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

Love it! The forum that is.... actual people who know the ins and outs!!!!!

So a few comments:
1. Clutch pressure seems high- when it is appropriate to do so I will look into
RS clutch, lightweight flywheel, along with a MPL clutch slave cylinder- Hit me with a
number (rough of course) to do those items- I assume this is an engine out operation?

2. Brakes seem to be in spec in terms of pressure but will have the independent guy take a look

3. Thanks for the CDR user info!

4. I will buy and install those gaskets for the sunroof and hopefully that will eliminate the turbulence

5. Suspension: I have to admit, this is not my first 993- have dealt with Gert in the past for a "S" front bumper cover for my NB 1995.
That said, I think, but am not sure that I can go ROW height- street to my house drive needs to be check carefully before lowering it by
what was listed above as 1.25". That is a lot!. Regardless, Gert has suggested the replacement for FSD which is called the "Special Active"
So FSD is gone and replaced with SA. We have bad roads here in MI and that crashing sound/experience really troubles me- as if the
car is going to self-destruct. I know it is not but I want to avoid that as much as possible and simultaneously keep the car as flat as possible in corners.
This is one place where the 992 was amazing...
I guess, I am an owner more interested in comfort than ultimate performance... the more comfortable it is, the more I am apt to use it. So does
anyone think that there is a better solution to my goals than the Koni shock with wither M033 springs or if not possible to lower, just keep the existing
springs- I don't think springs need to be replaced in a 36k mile car?
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:02 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensivak

So a few comments:
1. Clutch pressure seems high- when it is appropriate to do so I will look into
RS clutch, lightweight flywheel, along with a MPL clutch slave cylinder- Hit me with a
number (rough of course) to do those items- I assume this is an engine out operation?

2. Brakes seem to be in spec in terms of pressure but will have the independent guy take a look

3. Thanks for the CDR user info!

4. I will buy and install those gaskets for the sunroof and hopefully that will eliminate the turbulence

5. Suspension: I have to admit, this is not my first 993- have dealt with Gert in the past for a "S" front bumper cover for my NB 1995.
That said, I think, but am not sure that I can go ROW height- street to my house drive needs to be check carefully before lowering it by
what was listed above as 1.25". That is a lot!. Regardless, Gert has suggested the replacement for FSD which is called the "Special Active"
So FSD is gone and replaced with SA. We have bad roads here in MI and that crashing sound/experience really troubles me- as if the
car is going to self-destruct. I know it is not but I want to avoid that as much as possible and simultaneously keep the car as flat as possible in corners.
This is one place where the 992 was amazing...
I guess, I am an owner more interested in comfort than ultimate performance... the more comfortable it is, the more I am apt to use it. So does
anyone think that there is a better solution to my goals than the Koni shock with wither M033 springs or if not possible to lower, just keep the existing
springs- I don't think springs need to be replaced in a 36k mile car?
My KWv3 are more comfortable than the KONI FSD I previously had - mostly in handling square edge bumps and staying settled on bumpy curves. Most 3 way shocks will allow fine tuning of dampening characteristics and you can make the ride very cushy if you want. I'm fairly certain the PSS10 allows the same adjustability not to mention the more expensive stuff. You are easily able to set your ride height as well with coilovers.

That said, FSDs are still definitely better than worn out Monroes - I noticed a big difference - but you are limited in adjustability. Also - when using shorter springs, you have to wire the coil to the hat to keep it from floating off the perch whenever the car is lifted. Not the end of the world, but it's a hack solution.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome back to the 993 world! You have a great looking car there. Have fun with the upgrades.

Btw, if you are considering an RS Clutch & LWF, look into the things that go a long with it. I have this set up and don't mind the chattering sound at low RPMs because I'll take the performance upgrade over sound any day, but for some this can become an annoyance.

Last edited by 911; 08-17-2020 at 12:07 PM.
M. Schneider (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 12:11 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

I guess, I am an owner more interested in comfort than ultimate performance... the more comfortable it is, the more I am apt to use it.
Now that I just read this part, I might suggest staying with the OEM clutch & Dual Mass Flywheel when it comes time to replace your clutch. At only 36K miles, you have a way to go before you do this.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911:
M. Schneider (08-17-2020), stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:14 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 146 Posts

So, I just picked up my new car in Chicago and drove back very quickly to Ann Arbor-
She performed like a champ! Loved to cruise around 90 and Michigan roads and the lack of the po-po
allowed it!

A few questions:
1. The amount of pressure required to activate the clutch is significant
compared to modern cars- Is this correct?
2. Ditto for the brake pedal pressure...???
3. Is there balance control for the CDR unit? If so, how is it activated?
4. This is a sunroof coupe and the sunroof was closed the whole way, but it seems like
there is a turbulence based sound that either is coming from the sunroof gasket (which is perfect) or
does the car just produce a modest amount of noise even on a non-sunroof car?
5. Car is riding on its 36k mile original suspension and has a tendency to "wiggle" when one hits freeway
irregularities... I imagine that the shocks could use a refresh... have to more carefully check my
driveway situation to see if I can go to ROW springs. How much does that lower the car? What other
parts should be replaced to prevent this wiggle from occurring?

thanks!!
First off, congrats on the acquisition! Second, please post more pics! Haha... here are my thoughts on your questions:

compared to modern cars- Is this correct? - I picked up a 98 c2s with 50k miles. I've also driven three other 993s and all of them have a "harder" clutch pedal than what I'm used to. I have a 997.1 turbo and the clutch is a lot lighter than the 993. I think it's pretty normal based on the ones I've seen.
2. Ditto for the brake pedal pressure...??? - Yes same for brake pedal.
5. Car is riding on its 36k mile original suspension and has a tendency to "wiggle" when one hits freeway
irregularities... I imagine that the shocks could use a refresh... have to more carefully check my
driveway situation to see if I can go to ROW springs. How much does that lower the car? What other
parts should be replaced to prevent this wiggle from occurring? - Mine was wiggling horribly as well. First thing I did was replace the 15 year old tires. That helped alot but there was still some. Then I installed PSS10s and that really helped eliminate most of it. Btw, all 4 of my shocks/struts were totally blown when I took them off. They would not rebound at all so I think you should definitely get yours checked out

Edwin
stevensivak (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:18 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m32
First off, congrats on the acquisition! Second, please post more pics! Haha... here are my thoughts on your questions:

compared to modern cars- Is this correct? - I picked up a 98 c2s with 50k miles. I've also driven three other 993s and all of them have a "harder" clutch pedal than what I'm used to. I have a 997.1 turbo and the clutch is a lot lighter than the 993. I think it's pretty normal based on the ones I've seen.
2. Ditto for the brake pedal pressure...??? - Yes same for brake pedal.
parts should be replaced to prevent this wiggle from occurring? - Mine was wiggling horribly as well. First thing I did was replace the 15 year old tires. That helped alot but there was still some. Then I installed PSS10s and that really helped eliminate most of it. Btw, all 4 of my shocks/struts were totally blown when I took them off. They would not rebound at all so I think you should definitely get yours checked out

Edwin

Were you able to get the PSS10's to provide a fully compliant ride or is this for the smooth road/go fast crowd only?
Old 08-17-2020, 06:49 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the mad house.

Beautiful car btw, almost a mirror image of mine.

One thing you may want to look at doing firaly quickly is putting some protective film on the hips. Maybe it's on there but I don't see it on the pictures. It'll save quite a bit of roadrash from stones kicking up from the front wheels.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

It's there... I believe original and I did not see a mark on them..... car has been very well taken care of.... and it has a modest 35k on the odd....

Seems like this MPL clutch slave is worth a go in terms of clutch pressure... the LWFW: not for me....
Old 08-18-2020, 09:33 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

In terms of gaskets for the sunroof, which ones should I buy?
The diagram is tricky....
Old 08-18-2020, 10:12 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Were you able to get the PSS10's to provide a fully compliant ride or is this for the smooth road/go fast crowd only?
More or less... I recently installed them ( a week ago) but so far so good

Edwin
Old 08-18-2020, 10:21 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

have you driven over any nasty road surfaces?
Old 08-18-2020, 10:44 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

I also need to buy the piece of interior trim that covers the column where the set belt is mounted- see pic
this piece goes from the floor to just above the engine release handle on the interior

This part is available in both leather and vinyl and I know they are hard to tell apart.

The car came with the following interior options related to "leather"
437- Comfort seat left
438- Comfort seat right
939- Soft leather rear
982- Supple leather seats/trim

Based on those options and the photo, is this a leather part or vinyl?

Last edited by stevensivak; 08-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:02 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

have you driven over any nasty road surfaces?
Yes... some. The suspension was firm but rebounded nicely. Btw, I also considered other options but chose the Pss10 b/c of it's adjustability and various settings. However, if you're looking to pick up a set, I think they are back-ordered internationally.

FYI, I have my suspension set at ROW +5.

Edwin
The following 2 users liked this post by m32:
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020), stevensivak (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:17 AM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The trim piece is vinyl.

PSS10 allow a wide range of adjustments. They also allow you to set the ride height between ROW and standard US height.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ivan J:
M. Schneider (08-18-2020), stevensivak (08-18-2020)

Quick Reply: New (to me) 9932S