Sponsored by:

New (to me) 9932S

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 09:17 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts
Default New (to me) 9932S

So, I just picked up my new car in Chicago and drove back very quickly to Ann Arbor-
She performed like a champ! Loved to cruise around 90 and Michigan roads and the lack of the po-po
allowed it!

A few questions:
1. The amount of pressure required to activate the clutch is significant
compared to modern cars- Is this correct?
2. Ditto for the brake pedal pressure...???
3. Is there balance control for the CDR unit? If so, how is it activated?
4. This is a sunroof coupe and the sunroof was closed the whole way, but it seems like
there is a turbulence based sound that either is coming from the sunroof gasket (which is perfect) or
does the car just produce a modest amount of noise even on a non-sunroof car?
5. Car is riding on its 36k mile original suspension and has a tendency to "wiggle" when one hits freeway
irregularities... I imagine that the shocks could use a refresh... have to more carefully check my
driveway situation to see if I can go to ROW springs. How much does that lower the car? What other
parts should be replaced to prevent this wiggle from occurring?

thanks!!

Last edited by stevensivak; 08-16-2020 at 09:34 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by stevensivak:
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020), M. Schneider (08-16-2020), masti99 (08-16-2020), mike.cars (08-16-2020), The Eagle (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 09:51 AM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensivak
So, I just picked up my new car in Chicago and drove back very quickly to Ann Arbor-
She performed like a champ! Loved to cruise around 90 and Michigan roads and the lack of the po-po
allowed it!

A few questions:
4. This is a sunroof coupe and the sunroof was closed the whole way, but it seems like
there is a turbulence based sound that either is coming from the sunroof gasket (which is perfect) or
5. Car is riding on its 36k mile original suspension and has a tendency to "wiggle" when one hits freeway
irregularities... I imagine that the shocks could use a refresh... have to more carefully check my
driveway situation to see if I can go to ROW springs. How much does that lower the car? What other

thanks!!
Welcome to the madness and excellent choice (of course, I’m a tad bias!)

1. I’m running an RS Clutch and LWFW which is very stiff. However, others with the regular clutch / dual mass flywheel I have driven are, IMHO, comparable to any modern set-up. What is certainly different is the floor mounted swing of the pedal, perhaps this is adding to the perception a little? I assume, of course, that your car has no mods.
2. Yes, brake pedal is always firm with short travel. Best brake feel of pretty much any street car I have ever driven.
3. CDR unit? Do you mean the factory radio?
4. When fully buttoned up, I have never noticed any type of turbulence. When the SR is open with windows up, I have noticed buffeting. Perhaps the SR or window was slightly open w/o noticing?
5. Wiggle can be expected with original suspension bushings of our vintage - time plays as equal of a negative as mileage. A full bushing refresh along with a proper alignment (from a shop that knows 993s) will be very beneficial. As for shocks, there are several options out there. I’m currently running Koni FSDs w M033s as I don’t track the car and preferred the compliant ride with Euro ride height. However, I do easily reach their limits when pushing it on some SW PA roads!

Looking forward to seeing your progress as it occurs ... welcome back to the 993 family!
The following 2 users liked this post by 993pbug:
M. Schneider (08-16-2020), stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:04 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

thanks for the reply
Clutch: original.... go drive a 992 if you want to experience a minimal effort pedal.... perhaps this needs a look by an expert???
CDR- yes, factory radio/cd player- how is balance set?
Sunroof- all buttoned up and all windows up as well- just some turbulence, however I was driving most of the time between 80-90mph- so with the exception of the engine noise, you have a quiet cabin?
Bushings- ok that sounds like the culprit... definitely looking to shocks on the comfort side of the equation and purely for visual purposes, if the ROW height
works with my drive, I will do so. Can you describe the ride you get from a Koni FSD?
Old 08-16-2020, 10:06 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 264 Posts

#5 - Suspension refresh will make a huge difference. The front control arm bushings are a known contributor to "wiggle". But while your at it, replace all of the rubber. A few of us also have put a pin in the tie rods which also helps. Check your engine mounts too (or just replace them).

The bushing are inexpensive - installing them is labor intensive. The engine mounts are relatively easier to do.

Yes, the car will benefit greatly from new suspension and lowering. Plenty of options to choose from.

Good looking car, good luck with it.

/
The following 2 users liked this post by fatmike:
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020), stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:28 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

allowed it!

A few questions:

thanks!!

Nice! I've seen your posts on the 992 side. The 993/992 is a great combo. I've enjoyed having the two.

1) Clutch effort should not be high. I have an RS clutch installed in my which is stiffer than stock, but it's still not too bad.

2) Brake pedal pressure is going to be higher than a 992

3) Not aware of balance control, but of course I pulled my radio and speakers and CDR out for weight saving.

4) Can't help with the noise - my exhaust is loud as sh*t

5) Mileage in this case is not the issues as much as age. I can almost guarantee that the Monroes are shot if they are original. Front control arm bushings are probably shot. Rear links could need inspection for bushing replacement. ROW ride height is a nice conservative drop from stock. Personally, having gone the route of Koni FSD with springs, I was happier with adjustable coilovers. I didn't feel the Koni completely synced up with the spring rate on the M030 springs. Being able to adjust compression dampening also helped dial in the performance. Given the relative expense, in my experience, it's better to just go with the coilovers at the start. Whatever the case might be getting a decent alignment is key.
The following users liked this post:
stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 11:29 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

New Struts or complete coil-over units and an alignment will be a transformative upgrade even if the original suspension is running as it should. I installed the economical H&R sport (basic street) coil-over kits @ about $1800 for all 4 wheel ends and never looked back. I have never replaced any bushings but replacing the mounting bushings for the stabilizer bars is easy and inexpensive so why not.

I would hold off on replacing the other bushing such as the ones on the lower control arms until the struts are updated and see if your perception of wiggle persists.

See below:
[url]https://993servicerepair.blogspot.com/2020/01/ride-suspension.html[/url}

Andy
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020), stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 11:31 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

stevensivak -
Congratulations!
#3 .. CDR210 factory radio - look for the two round buttons, top right & left, with musical notes icon on the button. Once invoked the screen will show treble, bass, balance, fade etc.
#4 .. Sunroof should be silent.
#5 .. The C2S coupes delivered for the rest-of-the-world (ROW) were production fitted with a progressive spring-type model M033. .. The M033 spring is (1) progressive and (2) approximately 1.25" lower in height when compared to the standard coil spring as used in an N. American USA delivered MY97 or MY98 C2S

Hope this helps with the slippery slope come'in your way ..........Here's a resource link. The fella Gert can assist with almost anything 993. Factory 993 or otherwise. www.carnewal.com

Cheers, all the best
The following 2 users liked this post by M. Schneider:
hoggel (08-18-2020), stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 03:38 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you describe the ride you get from a Koni FSD?
Exceptionally compliant and comfortable without any harshness at all when out for an easy drive. When pushed, the Koni’s struggle to keep up and tend to “crash” over irregularities in the road and don’t quickly recover their composure which can be a bit of damper on the fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by 993pbug:
Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 06:05 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I noticed as my stock clutch/flywheel got on in years, it became pretty stiff. I replaced a couple of years ago with a RS clutch, lightweight flywheel, along with a MPL clutch slave cylinder (http://www.mpl-tuning-parts.de/english/porsche.html), and it's about the same stiffness as a Honda Civic.

And yeah, your car would probably benefit from new suspension.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:33 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome to the 993 world, and a grand entrance too with a C2S!

Most of your questions have been answered, so I won't take up bandwidth with the same answers, except for plenty of suspension choices enabling you to pretty much tailor it to your specific needs.
The original Monroes were not known for longevity.
HelpMeHelpU (08-21-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 07:11 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

If the sunroof gaskets are original, they're probably shot. It should be quiet. It's easily adjustable ( check the forums here) but you may need to replace the seals- these are wear-parts regardless of mileage and the rubber inside the felt breaks down over time making for a n incomplete seal.
I've had mine up to 160 on the track and the sunroof is silent.
The following 2 users liked this post by PRSWILL:
Old 08-16-2020, 08:54 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 659 Posts

Beautiful! Congrats and enjoy for many miles in the best of health!
stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 09:43 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Stevenivak -
#5 Suspension - Have a look at the Elephant Racing website, www.elephantracing.com .. There shop assisted with refurbishing the '98 993 C2S lower control arms (LCAs) to factory original; Rubber bushings. The E.R. website is somewhat interactive, yet without a doubt, Porsche suspension focused. ..
stevensivak (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 09:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Stevenivak -
#5 Suspension - Have a look at the Elephant Racing website, www.elephantracing.com .. There shop assisted with refurbishing the '98 993 C2S lower control arms (LCAs) factory original; Rubber bushings. The E.R. website is somewhat interactive, yet without a doubt, Porsche suspension focused. ..
The slippery slope begins...
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
M. Schneider (08-18-2020), stevensivak (08-17-2020)

Quick Reply: New (to me) 9932S