Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Losing my sanity on suspension upgrade options!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:36 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the answer is partially dependent on whether you are a DIY wrench. If you can install sway bars yourself you can wait; if on the other hand you are going to pay $75-80 and hour to a mechanic...
Old 02-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts
Hi DKP 97
While I appreciate your viewpoint, it is important to point out that the H&R kit is precisely engineered to be a "matched component set", and uses the "gold standard" Bilstein shocks.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:09 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe:
<strong> To me Bilstein is the "gold-standard" of shocks and springs and having the fully factory engineered pieces in a matched component set is worth the slightly higher price garnered from the PSS-9's</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I will add to what Chris said above about the H&R Coilover. Actually if you look at the spring rates from the factory the H&R coilover is the system that keeps the "Factory" setup and NOT the PSS-9!!!
From Gert's site here are the spring rates:
US FACTORY SET UP: 150-200 FRONT, 225-275 REAR
H&R COILOVERS: 295 FRONT, 360 REAR
PSS-9: 225-250 FRONT, 400-685 REAR

As you can see the H&R keeps with the factory difference F to R of 75lbs while the PSS-9 has a huge difference between F/R which certainly alters the factory setup and behavior in general of the car, while the H&R coilover system stays exactly to where the factory wants the car at.Furthermore the H&R is very similar to the factory RS specification in construction, progression and rates. As a matter of fact this difference plus the fitment issues made me choose the H&R system. Now I'm not saying that the PSS-9 is a bad system or anything but I do not think it should be considered as the only alternative or really the ultimate system for the 993.

Quick Reply: Losing my sanity on suspension upgrade options!