Switched Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 01:46 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Switched Power

Couldn't find an answer with search.

My question is, where can I find switched power by the Ash Tray or in the vicinity so I can extend it to the Ash Tray.

Thank you
Old 07-14-2020, 03:27 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

If by switched power you mean it only has power when the ignition is on you'll find one of the wires in the radio harness makes a good candidate. Yellow I think, but you can confirm with a multimeter.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
where can I find switched power
Hi Artie,
The heated seat circuit under one of the seats is switched:
See This Page
Andy
Old 07-14-2020, 08:34 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Bell
If by switched power you mean it only has power when the ignition is on you'll find one of the wires in the radio harness makes a good candidate. Yellow I think, but you can confirm with a multimeter.
FYI,
The radio switched circuit is not intended for much of a load. I am assuming the original poster wants to add an accessory outlet or a device that may draw some current. If this is the case he will want to use the radio's switched circuit to power a relay that controls a circuit with higher amperage capacity.
Andy
Old 07-14-2020, 10:35 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Sunroof switch on the center console. By far the easiest switched circuit and easy access and high current. See the p-car diy.
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 02:03 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

What I plan on powering is a Homelink remote garage door opener, so not much of a load.

This is a cabrio, so I don't know if the cabrio switch has the same power connections as the sunroof switch.

And yes, when I say switched power, I mean only when the engine is running, that way the Homelink will not function unless you have a key.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:28 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

What I plan on powering is a Homelink remote garage door opener, so not much of a load.

This is a cabrio, so I don't know if the cabrio switch has the same power connections as the sunroof switch.

And yes, when I say switched power, I mean only when the engine is running, that way the Homelink will not function unless you have a key.
Artie, you can tap the hot side of your roof switch - should be easy to find the hot wire that is switched. I assume the cab roof switch is in the same location as the coupe sunroof switch? I suggest that source since it's easy to access, lots of power and the wiring is a straight shot to anywhere under the dash and easy to disguise. My radar detector is on this switched power and it's above the rearview mirror and the cable to it is invisible.

My garage door remote is the Lift Master small one that operates three OH doors. It fits in the ashtray with the ashtray insert removed and stays fine with a strip of Velcro. I suggest this since it requires no hard wiring - but someone could break in the car and steal or use the opener.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:16 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Artie, you can tap the hot side of your roof switch - should be easy to find the hot wire that is switched. I assume the cab roof switch is in the same location as the coupe sunroof switch? I suggest that source since it's easy to access, lots of power and the wiring is a straight shot to anywhere under the dash and easy to disguise. My radar detector is on this switched power and it's above the rearview mirror and the cable to it is invisible.

My garage door remote is the Lift Master small one that operates three OH doors. It fits in the ashtray with the ashtray insert removed and stays fine with a strip of Velcro. I suggest this since it requires no hard wiring - but someone could break in the car and steal or use the opener.
Mike, thanks for the information, I will check my Cabrio switch. I did plan on mounting the Homelink in the ashtray with velcro. But, I need it on switched power, I can't take the risk someone breaks into the car and then has access to the house if the Homelink was always powered.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:33 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What I plan on powering is a Homelink remote garage door opener, so not much of a load..
If this is the case most any switched circuit can work as the draw is probably just a fraction of an amp. If the radio switched wire is nearby or a direct connection to a switched pin on the ignition switch should work. Interesting concept of making the remote inactive for security reasons.
Andy :-)
Old 07-14-2020, 03:38 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Mike, thanks for the information, I will check my Cabrio switch. I did plan on mounting the Homelink in the ashtray with velcro. But, I need it on switched power, I can't take the risk someone breaks into the car and then has access to the house if the Homelink was always powered.
Yes that makes sense.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:43 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

What I plan on powering is a Homelink remote garage door opener
Hi: You might find it interesting to take a look at how I added a HomeLink without splicing into any existing wires. Fun project: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-easy-diy.html

Ron
Old 07-14-2020, 05:33 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrmdir
Hi: You might find it interesting to take a look at how I added a HomeLink without splicing into any existing wires. Fun project: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-easy-diy.html

Ron
Very ingenious and innovative.

But unfortunately, I live in a gated community. So I need to be able to access two buttons on the Homelink, One for the gate and one for the garage. What I'm planning on doing I've done in an old BMW and a 996. Both times it worked perfectly and being in the ashtray leaves it invisible.

Thanks for the information, I may be able to use this for something else in the future.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:58 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The lighter sunroof power is switched, and the switch is right next to the ash tray, I tapped a wire off of that.

corrected per post #14.

Last edited by Kika; 07-15-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:10 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
The lighter is switched, and right next to the ash tray, I tapped a wire off of that.
The cigarette lighter is connected to the electrical bus all the time ignition off or on. Otherwise our battery maintainers would have no circuit to the bus to keep the battery charged.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:14 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
The cigarette lighter is connected to the electrical bus all the time ignition off or on. Otherwise our battery maintainers would have no circuit to the bus to keep the battery charged.
Ahh, I stand corrected, it has been so long since I made that connection, it is the sunroof power that I tapped into behind the switch in the center console. My mistake, it sucks getting old....

and I have a CTEK trickle charge plugged into my cigarette lighter, DOH!

Quick Reply: Switched Power