Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what next?, first 5k worth

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 02:22 PM
wookinpanub
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car runs great, i agree on the suspension upgrade, probably be first thing, the car is also well optioned but exhaust maybe 2nd,
first porsche so looking to you guys for the " if i started all over id do this" info,
much appreciated to all responding, also the goldenrod, does a short throw make that kind of difference?
making the car look amazing,,,,,here is my dilemma, i want to add something to give it a killer look, car looks better with the top down, having trouble finding a cab 993 black that has a decal or trick to it that makes it completely stand out.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:26 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
@LionelB definitely harder than the floor mats!
I was worried about that.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:45 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LionelB
I was worried about that.
On a scale of 1-10, I give it a three. Much easier than suspension (that's a 6 for me). Note it's easier on a 95 because air conditioning hose isn't in the way.

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
The following users liked this post:
NickDLT (07-23-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:51 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Anything above 1 is probably impossible for me I have a few wrenches for my bike lol. It seems to be a quick thing for a pro.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:24 PM
hootie
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Changing engine mounts is a 2 out of 10. It took me 2 hours end to end (I had a lift at my disposal, which makes it slightly easier.

I walk through the process on my Instagram account (@valveandpiston). Check out the highlights on my profile "993 Build 2"
NickDLT (07-23-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:07 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

OP - it's a good question. FWIW, I bought a '97 cab in March - low miles and in really nice shape - and my $5k list has become more like a $15k list. The things on that list have been:

New tires (old ones were WAY past the 6-year mark)
30k major service
PSS10s (HIGHLY recommend)
New / correct rear wheels (long story, not on the typical list)
Fister stage IIs (awesome)
Motorsound airbox cover (inexpensive and helps with intake sound)
LED turn indicator / brake lights from Tore
Continental bluetooth head unit (also from Tore)
New headlight lenses

Upcoming is RS motor mounts and 22mm/21mm sway bars. Potential "last" mod will be the Carnewal bump steer kit (wheel carriers / tie rods), which is a little spendy, so will see how it goes with the motor mounts and M030 / Turbo sway bars.

It's easy to get carried away. As others have said, more power gets expensive, but I don't find the power lacking. Handling improvements are my main focus and the PSS10s made a huge improvement already.
wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:10 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

sorry - just saw the pictures you posted. Looks like you're at original ride height, so suspension will be good. Also, you already have the motor sound airbox cover, so that'll save you $150 (or so).
wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:20 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by wookinpanub
car runs great, i agree on the suspension upgrade, probably be first thing, the car is also well optioned but exhaust maybe 2nd,
first porsche so looking to you guys for the " if i started all over id do this" info,
much appreciated to all responding, also the goldenrod, does a short throw make that kind of difference?
making the car look amazing,,,,,here is my dilemma, i want to add something to give it a killer look, car looks better with the top down, having trouble finding a cab 993 black that has a decal or trick to it that makes it completely stand out.
Goldenrod takes away the "slop" in the shift linkage. It makes the shifter feel precise. Yes, it makes a very noticeable difference. The short shift kit is separate and in my opinion optional. If you want short throws get it, but if not it's a pretty good improvement with the Goldenrod alone.

Killer look? That's a tough one. I'd recommend:

- Hardback sport seats
- Lose the bumperettes
- Upgrade the wheels

There isn't much you can do with a sticker to materially change the look of the car...

/

wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:38 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
I'm a little biased, but an IMMO BLOCK would be a nice upgrade for the 98.
Jay, I Installed my IMMO BLOCK today...I was a little worried that it would be harder...but with the tools, the gauge popped right out (maybe a minute or two of working it) and I quickly identified the block that needed to be pulled. I didn't think my hand would fit in the gauge hole but it did..I removed the tall bock, inserted the IMMO Block, put the gauge back in. The entire project took less then 5 minutes. Nice little upgrade. Thanks...
wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Somebody once gave me this advice: drive it for a couple months first, as you just got the P-car. You'll have clearer perspectives about what needs to be done and priority.
Enjoy!
The following 3 users liked this post by mdude:
993pbug (07-14-2020), jibmaster1 (08-20-2020), wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:50 PM
TheFatArmadillo
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
Somebody once gave me this advice: drive it for a couple months first, as you just got the P-car. You'll have clearer perspectives about what needs to be done and priority.
Enjoy!
I’d agree with this. Bought mine last year, did the deferred maintenance and drove it the rest of the summer.

Over the winter picked away at other items like bushings, tie rods, and other items that needed to be addressed. With that said, I would buy the ImmoBlock right off the bat. The DriveBlock was annoying to me to no end.

Jordan
wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:52 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Best advice is drive the car for the season and then make some choices. The goldenrod/SSK is a no brainer because it is not that expensive and it make a huge improvement. Tighter, more precise, rifle bolt precision, no added effort, honestly you won't be sorry. The Fister II exhaust is another huge improvement. You will lover the way your car sounds.

I was sure I wanted fancy wheels, but I have grow to love the cup II's. Put on some miles. Feel the car out. Meet up with some other 993 owners. Take your time.... you're going to own it for a LONG time. enjoy!
The following 3 users liked this post by aircooledpurist:
HelpMeHelpU (07-14-2020), jibmaster1 (08-20-2020), wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:44 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

Funny on how you don't see lots of decals on 993s..........hard to improve the looks..........easier to upgrade the interior
wookinpanub (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 04:29 PM
adhedhy
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
  1. Golden Rod SSK
  2. PSS10
  3. HID
  4. Cupholder
Where would you recommend HID from? The full OEM HID or after market?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:18 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by adhedhy
Where would you recommend HID from? The full OEM HID or after market?
a lot of people like the Tore HIDs, I believe he has made it pretty much plug and play. If you don't mind crimping a few wires, adding connectors, or cutting wires and re-connecting them, they are really cheap now on eBay or probably Amazon. Personally, I got a set from eBay back in 2007 or so, and it still works fine. Just make sure you get the slim ballast (which probably now all of them are anyway) so it can be slipped inside the headlight. I added connectors to the kit I bought, so it became plug and play, which I like in the event that I need to put the original bulbs back in, i.e. in an emergency.

wookinpanub (07-15-2020)

Quick Reply: what next?, first 5k worth