Sponsored by:

floor mat install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 12:29 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 210 Posts
Default floor mat install

Well, I never thought I would ask a question about installing floor mats but here we are !

I got the OEM ones like this: https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod6...-993-RHD-Cars/

How the hell do you install the brackets to hold the mats ?
Old 07-02-2020, 12:48 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 563 Posts

They attach to the seat rails.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:50 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
They attach to the seat rails.
yeah I figured that much but how ? Something needs to get unscrewed ? I could not clip them into anything.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:52 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 563 Posts

You need to loosen the seat bolts enough to slide the bracket in and adjust it. Then tighten the bolts.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:54 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
You need to loosen the seat bolts enough to slide the bracket in and adjust it. Then tighten the bolts.
ok, they slide inside or under the rails ?
Old 07-02-2020, 01:45 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Got it, at least for one out of 4. The other 3 bolts look half rounded....
Old 07-02-2020, 02:55 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Hi LionelB,
The clip system you have is a bad Kludge to hold mats.
I would not mess with the seat rails as they are safety equipment and messing with them makes adding mats a silly complex procedure dealing with the seat cap screws that are prone to stripping.
On each side of the car on the LHD cars is there is a plastic cap nut through the OE carpet under the mat. somewhat in the center of the footwell, check to see if they are present on your RHD car.
The cap nut screws to a threaded rod welded to the floor pan of the car.
If present I would use this same cap nut to hold the added mats to the carpet underneath it in place by piercing the new mats. There are aftermarket extended height cap nuts that are a little longer to allow for the thickness of the added mat to the carpet underneath.
The extended cap nut is sold by Lloyds carpets.
An alternative is to return the carpets you have and see if you can get a set of RHD carpets from Lloyds designed to use the cap nuts that are pre-punched for their installation.
Lloyds Mats
Andy
Old 07-02-2020, 03:36 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Andy, thanks. I am in France, we drive in the right side of the road here so LHD car That cap is there indeed.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:43 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Well this was frustrating ! I was able to slide one on the driver side. The other bolt is almost round so there is no point in trying. On the passenger side I undid one as well but could not slide the thing under it. This will do, one out of 4.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:54 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi LionelB,
The clip system you have is a bad Kludge to hold mats.
I would not mess with the seat rails as they are safety equipment and messing with them makes adding mats a silly complex procedure dealing with the seat cap screws that are prone to stripping.
On each side of the car on the LHD cars is there is a plastic cap nut through the OE carpet under the mat. somewhat in the center of the footwell, check to see if they are present on your RHD car.
The cap nut screws to a threaded rod welded to the floor pan of the car.
If present I would use this same cap nut to hold the added mats to the carpet underneath it in place by piercing the new mats. There are aftermarket extended height cap nuts that are a little longer to allow for the thickness of the added mat to the carpet underneath.
The extended cap nut is sold by Lloyds carpets.
An alternative is to return the carpets you have and see if you can get a set of RHD carpets from Lloyds designed to use the cap nuts that are pre-punched for their installation.
Lloyds Mats
Andy

This is what i do. works great.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 411 Posts

I’m with Andy on this one. There are plenty of similar applications that slide under the seat bolts, like fire extinguisher brackets and substrap mounts, so it’s not so much ch a safety issue. But why mess with seat bolts just to secure your mats. The Lloyd’s mats come with holes in the center that line up perfectly with the screws in the floor that Andy speaks of. Just screw the plastic cap on and your done.

Sooner or later, you’ll want to address this seat bolts. This is the right tool for the stock seat bolts. Hex Wrench with Pin PB Blaster and a good whack or two to break the bolt free may help. If the bolts are too far gone you can drill them out and replace them. But using the right wrench will help avoid these stripped seat bolts. Cheers!
Old 07-05-2020, 08:59 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foxman
Sooner or later, you’ll want to address this seat bolts. This is the right tool for the stock seat bolts. Hex Wrench with Pin PB Blaster and a good whack or two to break the bolt free may help. If the bolts are too far gone you can drill them out and replace them. But using the right wrench will help avoid these stripped seat bolts. Cheers!
Very good to know ! The fact that the P mats were delivered with a standard hex did not give me a good tip on this.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:11 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
PB Blaster
I once used PB Blaster and it took years to get the acrid stink of the PB Blaster acidified oil out of the car. Just a couple drops of odorless penetrating oil or sewing machine oil let to sit overnight will do the trick.
Below are my notes on seat removal including the bolts.
Andy
Removing the seat:
How to remove a front seat without drama

Last edited by pp000830; 07-05-2020 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LionelB (07-05-2020)

Quick Reply: floor mat install