Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In search of ... my old 1998 C2S (purchased new)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 01:00 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry for the OT, but was the XRD - Red brake calipers option used the big red from turbo/4S? or just the regular brakes painted red?

Anyhow, great story! I kind of went through the same with my old Audi B5 S4. I was actually able to track the car down in the Audi forum but later found out the guy brought it from me sold the car again and the last owner had totaled the car.....=(

Hope your search will turn out much better than mine, good luck!

Andy
Old 07-02-2020, 02:42 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GJSPINELLA
With all the privacy laws in place it maybe even more difficult to locate. For starters, I would run a CarFax on it to see what that tells you. That should be a great way to narrow down the location and even where it was last serviced provided they report to CarFax. Those shops might even disclose to you who owns it and more. Porsche will not disclose anything other than open recalls due to privacy concerns. Best wishes in your search and keep us posted.
Unfortunately, I do not have any of the original paperwork for this car, inclusive of the VIN. I inadvertently misplaced the folder that contained all the info for vehicles purchased from 1994 to 1999 ... sigh.

Originally Posted by gmorat
I would very much hope that these shops wouldn't disclose and at the very most would offer to pass on your contact information. If I got a call from some ran-do saying he's trying to track down his old car and that after identifying and then contacting where it was serviced last through CarFax, was freely given my contact information I would be livid.

Maybe I'm strange that way!
Not strange about it at all!! I'd feel the same way if a shop just openly disclosed any of my PII. I have, however, reached out to shops indicated on a CarFax and open every conversation with, "I'm not looking for any personal information on the owner. I am hoping just to confirm what work was done on such-and such date." I have only encountered 3 dealers that would not even discuss the work done ... all others did talk becuase of my being open and honest about not putting them in a position of risk in divulging private information.

Originally Posted by GJSPINELLA
I understand thus my comments ref: "Privacy" which I'm fully aware of. But he's got to start somewhere and that's probably his best chance for info. Heck, the car could even be totaled or who knows its condition thus run the report. Be safe!
My hope was to be able to somehow find the VIN, pull a CarFax just to see if the car is still on the road, sitting in a collection (with no updates on the report), or totaled. I did have one instance when I called a dealer to get some history that knew the owner so I gave the tech my information to relay to him. It was up to the prior owner to contact me ... which he did, and we had a great conversation. Bottom line, be respectful, forthright in stating your intentions, and you might be surprised what may come of the most basic conversation!

Last edited by 993pbug; 07-03-2020 at 02:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 02:50 PM
993pbug
Racer

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
993pbug - The story goes that no two 911's are alike. Sure, but close counts for something . . But for the last 3 options on your list (Rosewood & Red Calipers) my 993 C2S spec is identical but for adding Full Black Leather interior, additional Leather, R. Wiper, and a few others. Going back and forth with the options sheet before settling on a build spec. stirs fond memories. Good luck with reacquainting with your 993 C2S.
I have those pictures (and those of my '96 993) under the glass of my office desk ... look at them almost everyday and think back to the day I took delivery and the day I turned the ignition off for the last time while I was staring at the odometer ... sigh. Fond memories indeed!

While I didn't have the luxury of spec'ing the car myself, the only options I would have changed would have been to go with Carbon Shifter & Brake Lever, Full Leather interior, and Heated Seats.

Originally Posted by akrca4
Sorry for the OT, but was the XRD - Red brake calipers option used the big red from turbo/4S? or just the regular brakes painted red?

Anyhow, great story! I kind of went through the same with my old Audi B5 S4. I was actually able to track the car down in the Audi forum but later found out the guy brought it from me sold the car again and the last owner had totaled the car.....=(

Hope your search will turn out much better than mine, good luck!

Andy
The XRD option was only for the paint color of the standard calipers ... no Big Reds unfortunately.

I have mixed feelings about trying to locate it ... can only imagine how bummed I would be if I learned it was totaled like your Audi. I prefer to stick to the disillusional thought of it sitting in a collection somewhere with only 1,133 miles on it and just waiting for me to buy it back ... here's to hoping!!
Old 07-02-2020, 03:31 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

OP: if you still have the same insurance company as you did back in the late 1990's, they'd have your VIN.

Reminded me of an episode in Chasing Classic Cars when Wayne located Herb's Daytona Spyder with which he got into an accident and likely sold subsequently -- 30+ years ago. Upon seeing it, Herb plucked down a cool mil on the spot (which was way above market) to reacquire the car.

Would you buy yours back...?
The following 2 users liked this post by mdude:
Jon 'Bama (07-03-2020), M. Schneider (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM
993pbug
Racer

Originally Posted by mdude
Would you buy yours back...?
I can honestly say that I would ... for nothing more than fair market value!
Old 07-02-2020, 04:08 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts
Default 373 /374 Hardback "Racing" seat options . . .

993pbug -
Back in the day, say summer of `97. MY98 production builds with HB Racing seat options coupled with the optional heating feature was delayed about 60 days IIRC. I waited for the heated HB seating to resume production.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:48 AM
993pbug
Racer

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
993pbug -
Back in the day, say summer of `97. MY98 production builds with HB Racing seat options coupled with the optional heating feature was delayed about 60 days IIRC. I waited for the heated HB seating to resume production.
Wise choice!! What’s 60 days ... especially 22 years later
Old 07-03-2020, 02:06 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Some interesting points here.

If someone tracked me down using all the steps mentioned above to try and buy their old car back, sure I'd be mad at whoever shared my info but its not a big deal, I would congratulate the guy for finding me and the car. In my own story of tracking down a car I was able to find the current owner, but when I reached out to him I was ignored, probably because he felt like GMORAT above. BTW I was able to find that car in the same exact condition my mom had sold it in 18 years earlier, so cool. It would've been a huge bummer to find out it had been totaled or something.

Do tax returns have VIN numbers when you write off license fees? What about the dealership? Any shop you might've serviced it at? Insurance as mentioned above might be a good route. Or maybe the VIN decoding thread on this board could even lead you to it based on model, color, options etc.

Good luck and don't give up, During my search someone reminded me that the chase is half the fun.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:27 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 89 Posts

Just to be clear, my mechanic giving me the PO's contact info and saying that they were trying to find/buy their car back I have no problem with. I would probably contact them to say that it's either a possibility or not just to be polite.

Rando on doorstep wondering where their precious is being kept is a different matter

The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 01:13 PM
993pbug
Racer

Originally Posted by jcochran1
Some interesting points here.

If someone tracked me down using all the steps mentioned above to try and buy their old car back, sure I'd be mad at whoever shared my info but its not a big deal, I would congratulate the guy for finding me and the car. In my own story of tracking down a car I was able to find the current owner, but when I reached out to him I was ignored, probably because he felt like GMORAT above. BTW I was able to find that car in the same exact condition my mom had sold it in 18 years earlier, so cool. It would've been a huge bummer to find out it had been totaled or something.

Do tax returns have VIN numbers when you write off license fees? What about the dealership? Any shop you might've serviced it at? Insurance as mentioned above might be a good route. Or maybe the VIN decoding thread on this board could even lead you to it based on model, color, options etc.

Good luck and don't give up, During my search someone reminded me that the chase is half the fun.
The chase is definitely all the fun! I had called the dealer a few years back, and they weren't too enthused about digging through old sales records ... going to take another run at them next week to try and get the VIN.

Originally Posted by gmorat
Just to be clear, my mechanic giving me the PO's contact info and saying that they were trying to find/buy their car back I have no problem with. I would probably contact them to say that it's either a possibility or not just to be polite.

Rando on doorstep wondering where their precious is being kept is a different matter
My sentiments exactly

Quick Reply: In search of ... my old 1998 C2S (purchased new)