Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lotus Elise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 12:55 AM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you go vintage racing watch "Doc Buddy" in the Lotus T23 1964 from Regogo racing, it's a "screaming" machine. 1600cc hitting 8800-9000 rpm it sings. Doc Buddy is the driver he is over 70yrs old and still wins all the races. Doc is from Atlanta and is sick at this time with Covert and there is a go fund me page for him.
If you know him he has won a lot of races for Lotus and Corvette over the last 20-30 yrs, great gentleman and hell of a racer especially behind the wheel of the Lotus.
He also races Mario Andrettis 1979 Fi car that is amazing

Old 06-26-2020, 01:20 AM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoc1949
If you go vintage racing watch "Doc Buddy" in the Lotus T23 1964 from Regogo racing, it's a "screaming" machine. 1600cc hitting 8800-9000 rpm it sings. Doc Buddy is the driver he is over 70yrs old and still wins all the races. Doc is from Atlanta and is sick at this time with Covert and there is a go fund me page for him.
If you know him he has won a lot of races for Lotus and Corvette over the last 20-30 yrs, great gentleman and hell of a racer especially behind the wheel of the Lotus.
He also races Mario Andrettis 1979 Fi car that is amazing

Doc Bundy maybe?
Old 06-26-2020, 01:23 AM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

What is that supposed to mean, I know him personally and been vintage racing with him for last 10yrs .
Old 06-26-2020, 07:48 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

It takes commitment to daily a lotus. As I would say, heater and air conditioning were aspirational rather than descriptive terms. On the other hand, there is nothing that gives that race car feel out of the box (and I have driven Miata and S2000). You sit so low, the seat is just a shell with some padding (use a RHD passenger fixed mount on the drivers seat as the stock adjustable rails rock) but I found them very comfortable. You sit right next to the passenger so much so you bump elbows. The view out the front is perfect (except for stop lights, remove the 2in visors to get a little more vision). Side vision is abysmal, rear vision on an Exige S is the intercooler (toss the rear view in a box in the attic). I am pretty big and I got the hang of in and out very quickly (people would watch me in parking lots lol). On the plus side, other than body panels, everything is dirt cheap. Tires, brakes, service etc. I blew (well my GF at the time) blew the engine on my Elise when the oil cooler line failed (this was pre-recall). $1500 for a used engine. Can’t imagine what a good used 3.6 993 engine goes for now. I beat on that car and other than the oil cooler lines, it was durable beyond belief. Only real let down was the trans shifting was a bit sloppy, but they have kits for improve that. Oh and paying some ridiculous amount of money for the lotus cupholder (which is an aluminum ring with a single leather strap — super cool). A spare lotus blaupunkt lives in my 993 so I am always reminded of what I miss.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:16 AM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 244 Posts

If you are at a big fast track like Road America, an Elise will struggle.

On the other hand, a Noble really goes fast and looks great too.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:36 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Great point SwayBar!

Dedicated track car means different things to different people. Whatever direction the OP or others take you'll be rewarded with an experience unlike any street car. Whether it's a classic spec 911, Miata or other flavor. Setting up the car specifically for the task creates a very satisfying driving experience. You don't have to be a pro to appreciate it.

In the past I've tried to build dual purpose cars. While competent in both areas they never really excelled at either. Safety gear alone (full cage, fire suppression etc) was a big consideration. I still enjoy tracking the 993 once in a while but it's really just a street car with the soft GT edge removed.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:26 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
It takes commitment to daily a lotus. As I would say, heater and air conditioning were aspirational rather than descriptive terms. On the other hand, there is nothing that gives that race car feel out of the box (and I have driven Miata and S2000). You sit so low, the seat is just a shell with some padding (use a RHD passenger fixed mount on the drivers seat as the stock adjustable rails rock) but I found them very comfortable. You sit right next to the passenger so much so you bump elbows. The view out the front is perfect (except for stop lights, remove the 2in visors to get a little more vision). Side vision is abysmal, rear vision on an Exige S is the intercooler (toss the rear view in a box in the attic). I am pretty big and I got the hang of in and out very quickly (people would watch me in parking lots lol). On the plus side, other than body panels, everything is dirt cheap. Tires, brakes, service etc. I blew (well my GF at the time) blew the engine on my Elise when the oil cooler line failed (this was pre-recall). $1500 for a used engine. Can’t imagine what a good used 3.6 993 engine goes for now. I beat on that car and other than the oil cooler lines, it was durable beyond belief. Only real let down was the trans shifting was a bit sloppy, but they have kits for improve that. Oh and paying some ridiculous amount of money for the lotus cupholder (which is an aluminum ring with a single leather strap — super cool). A spare lotus blaupunkt lives in my 993 so I am always reminded of what I miss.
It would NOT be a daily. My daily is a 997TT, and my 993 is my occasional a daily.

I bought the S2000 after blowing a Boxster's engine on the track. The s2000 is a solid and cheap car to maintain.

While the s2000 is a great track car, the looks don't do much for me. I've always loved the Elise and especially the supercharged power that's available.

Your point about parts , and maintenance are the other reason I'm interested in it for a dedicated track car.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:36 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 819 Posts

What do you guys think about the lotus evora/lotus gt?

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise?