Sponsored by:

the passion of the porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:58 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was "hooked" forever when I rode in a new 912 with my boss driving... He was a German Gentleman and knew how to make the car "sing".. The first turn did it for me..... The year was 1966.. I think... I was 21 then... Geez, those were the days..
Old 03-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

my first impression of these cars came from a smell.....i am doubtful that there is but one or two on this list that have ever been to a race where the oil used in all the cars is Caster based.....but if , or when you get the chance, the aroma will forever stick with you....such was the case in 1958 when, as a very very young kid, i saw a gaggle of early speedsters at an airport race beating the monster Lister- Jags and Scarabs......that same year i saw a Formula Libre race (precurser to F1)at Watkins Glen ( on the hill)...... a Carrera coupe street car finished in the middle of the pack of open wheel race cars.....the impression lasted , and some 18 cars later....
Old 03-11-2004, 10:50 AM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got my first ride in a neighbor's 356 when I was about 8 yrs old. He would go tearing through the neighborhood streets and I can still remember hanging on for dear life, loving every minute of it! He also took his son (my best friend) and me to the movie "Le Mans" when it came to the theater. Later he got a 911 and we went even faster; by then I was hooked and knew I would get one someday. That dream finally came true in 1989 when I got my '82 SC.

I still have a photo of me and my best friend as kids standing in front of a new, red 1968 Targa. Yes, the love affair goes back a ways.... Kind of nice that both me and the 911 celebrated our 40th year of existence last year, although I think the 911 enjoyed it more than I did.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Leveraged
AutoX

I'm also a soon to be 993 owner...

Waiting to purchase a new house. Will be using equity line to get a tax writeoff loan. Yeah baby...gotta love it.

My first memories were in CT. We lived on a relatively busy road on the way to the beach. The most distinct sounds were from the 3.2 911's of the 1980's. I loved the looks and that unique wail of that air cooled boxer engine. That got me hooked! Nothing else looked, sounded and later found out, drove like it.

Actually never driven a 993...driven 86, 87 911's and 91 964 targa. Loved them all but want the most current air cooled car.

Scott
Old 03-11-2004, 11:34 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by Pete Lech
The PCA has a slogan that says "It's the People." It sounds trite, but it is really true.

The cars are fantastic, I am on my 3rd one - a '86 coupe, a '85 Turbolook, and now a C2S, but the Porsche community is truly amazing. You are getting a taste of that here on this Forum, but just wait until you meet some owners in person. We have friends all over that we met through Porsche activities.
i can attest to this. it IS the people. i drove out to so cal for the 912 rendezvous last year, a broke college student who scraped up enough money to drive there, stay a week, and drive home.. i had an extra couple hundred bucks and a credit card set aside for any misshaps that may happen.. little did i know a big mishap happened on the way out there.. to the tune of $1114.20.

well the 912 registry was well aware of my journey and were amazed that i made it all the way from columbus ohio to solvang ca in my 68 four banger. also knowing all to well of the issues with my car (one of the engine gurus checked it out for me), they gathered to gether with out my knowing, passed around the hat, and between the 100 912 owners there, got 800 bucks to gether for the "help get Harry home fund". one 912er was gracious enough to let me crash at their house for a week while my cylender head was worked on.

it truly is the people..
Old 03-12-2004, 01:28 AM
CPB
7th Gear

Talking increased porsche experience

It's been fun reading your responses.
I've moved up a little notch in my Porsche driving experience.
Today during lunch I went out to Claridge's Porsche in Fremont and
test drove a new 996 (manual). I hope I'm not commiting sacrilidge.
The salesman was very cool and quickly copied my license and brought out the keys (sorry I forgot his name).
Although I went hoping to find a 993 they only had used boxsters and a few used 996s.

We did a big loop down Boyce Rd, right on Mowry, South 880, and back to Automall pkwy.
I actually drove the car quite hard and the salesman didn't seem to mind .
Not once did I check my speed but watched the tach instead.
The acceleration of the car was perfect and linear; phenomenal. I felt like my foot was connected to the rear wheels. I only got up to 5500 rpm in 4th gear. It felt very very fast.
I don't have the vocabulary to describe the experience but I was definitely grinning when I was done.
Overall I did not like the feel of the ride. It was way too comfortable. Very soft and plush like I was floating. I could not feel the road. I was also dissapointed by the brakes; maybe cuz they are new. The brakes seemed to lag and did not bite even with lots of pressure on the pedal.

I love the interior styling but the exterior just doesn't cut it for me.
IMHO the 993 has much better lines and is a way more sexier design.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Chris,

awaits you this Sunday

CP
Old 03-12-2004, 02:41 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike_A:
I am one of those people who recall Caster based oils. That smell is engrained in my memory. I once knew a speedster racer in Tucson who worked on my 356B coupe. He had a Carrera engine with a roller bearing crank in his speedster, and after every race, he would carefully take apart the engine and lightly oil it and put it all away on the shelf, with the crank on a wooden box. Fastidious. Later I got a speedster and Harry Shorman built a roller bearing crank based engine that would rev to 7k all day every day. Amazing engine and car. Speedsters are the essence of Porsche. But the smell of caster oil is a high.

Harry:

It definitely is the people. When I was in Florida for the Parade last year, my 928 suffered an electrical fire and I seemed stranded a few hours away from Tampa. As I was on the phone in a coffee shop, some very nice P people overheard me describing my situation. They offered to take their 911S off of their trailer and drive it down to Tampa, while towing my car on their trailer to a shop in Tampa. I rented a car to drive down(several hours away). That is but one of many stories of this kind involving Porsche
people.

CPB:

If you want to try another kind of Porsche, email me and you are welcome to try a 928S. For years I never looked closely at them until a Porsche dealer friend of mine who had always driven 911S and Turbos, and could have any car on the lot, told me he drove a 928. I snickered, but he said simply: "Drive one and then tell me the same thing". Now I understand.
Don't get me wrong. I still want a 993, and have owned 3 911s and still own a 914/6. But the 928 will give you a different perspective. If you are coming to the Sunday drive up Hwy. 9 out of Saratoga I will see you there. We will meet at the Blue Shoot Coffee Shop in Saratoga at 8 AM Sunday, March 14, and head up 9 to Half Moon Bay. A few 993TT and 996s will be there also.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to give my "Dutch opinion" on this.

I compare the love to the Porsche always as a natural love.
You have to get "THE" feeling, everytime you see a 911 or whatever Porsche you love.
It's the same butterfly feeling in your stumic as beeing in love with a girl, or for the ladies a boy.

Same things show up when you have not seen the car for a while, you gonna miss him. Driving one gives you a great feeling and you will feel very free.
Driving with high speed is not nessecairy, low spped cruising gives you the satisfied feeling you look for.

Porsche cars are special and beloved all over the world. Ask a 5 year old kid what a porsche is, I'll bet he know's and will tell or show you the right car.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:23 PM
CPB
7th Gear

Thumbs up sunday

cant wait CP
Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CPB:
The route plan has changed. Now it will be 7:30 AM Sunday morning at the Great Bear Coffee shop in Los Gatos. The group will leave around 7:45 AM for a drive up 17 to hwy 9, 9 to hwy. 1, 1N to 84, 84 east to 35 and 35 south back to 9. See you in Los Gatos if you're joining us.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think ther are two kinds of people int the world.

Those that have one and those that want one.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:50 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

great story Ron! thats exactly what i mean.. its not just the cars, or the people.. its the passion and brotherhood that is shared amongst the people. say what you will about porsche stereo types.. when it comes down to it, those who are true enthusiests, and have the passion, truely are the greatest people.

Quick Reply: the passion of the porsche