Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must Have Tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 01:49 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I use regular ol Craftsman sockets for the most part with a few exceptions.

I've found a high quality single Snap On 5mm allen socket has got a lot of use, plus I had bad experiences with cheaper sockets that repeatedly stripped bolts.

Also I get by with a small set of star sockets and various allens, nothing special.

A plethora of 3/8" flex joints, various extension lengths, and various spark plug sockets, some which fit tighter and looser. With the right combo of tools the spark plug job is easy.

I have also stripped smaller bolts by over torquing them using a Tekton 1/4" drive torque wrench, so don't go cheap on smaller torque wrenches.

A high quality set of flare nut wrenches for brake bleeding, or just a single high quality one for brake bleeds.

A cheap set of offset wrenches has also come in quite handy.

Thats all that comes to mind.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if it was already mentioned - you need the multi point star socket to counter hold the alternator in place while you're changing belts. The factory tool kit that came with the car has a little hand tool but you really want one to you use with your socket driver.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:09 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 515 Posts

Here's two that I added in the first month of ownership that were not previously in my very extensive tool collection:

M14 x 1.5 re-threading die M14 x 1.5 re-threading die

M14 x 1.5 plug tap M14 x 1.5 plug tap

I purchased a set of longer wheel studs from Elephant Racing and every single one needed the threads cleaned up!! Various dings and nicks in the thread due to poor thread cutting and also likely improper care during manufacturing (ie... tossing them in bulk into a box/bin, etc). Literally could not hand tighten any of my lug nuts more than 1 turn without them binding. The same thing happened with a brand new, generic M14 x 1.5 nut which I also acquired from McMaster. I'm **** and always keep a high quality nut on hand for every tap size so I can check fitments as a basis and wanted to ensure it wasn't my lug nuts that had an issue

Had I proceeded any further to tighten them by wrench, the gouged up threads on the studs would have started to chew up the threads of the alloy nuts. With the soft alloy lug nuts most of us run, it is a good idea to check and cleanup threads periodically when you have the wheels off (both studs and nuts). Small insurance policy to have them in your toolbox.

The following users liked this post:
NeinNeinThree (05-31-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 10:51 AM
tikka308
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you share more specifics on "The two hydraulic fitting wrench sizes used on a 993"

Originally Posted by pp000830
Here is a start
  • Steel low profile long reach floor jack (Harbor Freight)
  • Two jack stands with flat tops
  • A set of standard of 3/8" drive metric socket tools (Harbor Freight)
  • A set of standard of 3/8" drive deep metric sockets
  • 3/8" drive extensions long/medium/short and flex joint
  • Set of metrix closed & open end box wrenches with a few larger ones added (Harbor Freight
  • The two hydraulic fitting wrench sizes used on a 993, High-quality ones as the inexpensive ones distort and ruin the fittings when used. (Snap-On or the better line of Craftsmen)
  • A torque wrench that goes up to 150 foot-pounds (Harbor Freight)
  • 3/8" &1/2" breaker bars
  • 1/2" drive socket for wheel nuts, and one for steering wheel
  • Spark Plug Socket with hex in its body for working on struts.
  • A large vice-grip or oil filter wrench pliers (Harbor Freight)
  • Set of Allen wrenches, set of star wrenches
  • Tool or 3/8" drive socket for alternator end shaft
  • Belt tensioning gauge
  • Inexpensive Volt-Ohm meter
  • An oil pressure bleeder if you will be servicing your own clutch or brakes
  • Replace the stock emergency jack in your car with a scissors jack (Harbor Freight)
  • Replace your spare tire inflator with a more reliable one (Harbor Freight)
  • Keep a set of belts and spare fasteners use in a belt change in the frunk. Make note what tools were used to change the belts and store those tools in the frunk
  • A 1.5 Amp rated or greater battery charger/maintainer with a cigarette lighter adapter.
  • A voltmeter display that fits in the cigarette lighter (eBay)
  • Durametric OBDC-II or other OBDC-II reader that can access 993 Proprietary codes & laptop to run it on. Or a generic reader that can only read generic emission-related codes such as an Autel AutoLink.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:45 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Beyond the wrenches / ratchets / sockets / extensions / Chapman set that have been shared, a few extra tools I think come very handy or good upgrades

1. A magnetic pickup tool. It's basically a telescopic antenna with a magnet on the end. Mine came with a mirror which I use occasionally. The motor bay is tight and you will thank me when some random nut, bolt, washer falls into a the dark abyss

2. Deptech Android/iphone boroscope. I have used this a lot when inspecting things in tight spaces when I am trying to figure out a repair / or diagnose a problem. Plus used it many times to fish out Legos and random stuff when my kids drop things into our forced air ducts

3. I upgraded to gear wrench fine tooth flex head ratchet set. These are great and so much better than the standard ones you get with a set. Your palms with thank you

4. A decent torque wrench is a must. If I had to get one I would start with a 3/8 drive that is rated to 150. This will get you the range for most fasteners especially if you are going to work on your suspension

5. I also upgraded my jack stands to escos. I had the ratcheting craftsman ones before. The escos are great as you can get the car 2 feet off the ground at the maximum setting. Enough to drop your motor or transmission if you ever need to do that.

6. Now you have the car lifted, then get a nice creeper so you can roll yourself around under the car. Your clothes and body will thank you.

7. A bright magnetic led work light. I picked up a cheapo one from harbor freight and works great for me.

8. A spiral bolt extraction set. At some point your will strip out a hex head bolt. These will allow you to easily extract the bolt.

9. A Dremel and cordless drill are great if you don't have them already. You will find yourself cutting, sanding, wire wheeling, etc...

10. A decent bench vise. Troll Craigslist and find an old school one at a garage sale. They are great extra pair of hands.

11. Besides a shop vac an upgrade will be an air compressor. Easy way to dust off things, blow the crap out of your garage, or or later power air tools like a impact wrench, die grinder, hvlp gun later

Everything else you can pick up if you decide to dig into jobs on your car!
The following 3 users liked this post by samurai_k:
Dryfly57 (05-31-2020), NeinNeinThree (05-31-2020), PorschePeter (05-31-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 12:25 PM
gregorytate
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey. I always read your post and appreciate your advice. I am though surprised over your recommendation of Harbor Freight. I'm sure you know this, but most of their stuff is cheap throw away. I build surfboards and have a bunch of grinders, paint sprayers, and misc stuff from them, but I know some of it is going to be single use.

Have you been satisfied with their wrenches and sockets? Those seem like you would want better quality.

all the best
Old 06-03-2020, 01:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Gearwrench or Tekton for sockets and wrenches.

Quick Reply: Must Have Tools