Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni Sport or Special Active became a tough choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020 | 09:40 PM
DarthJesus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Todynot
For those with the Koni SA & M033 set-up, did you use bump stops? If so, did you install both front and rear and were they the short version of bump stops? TIA.
I have the front p/n handy, will look into the rear. (I forgot if the rear has the same p/n for US and M033/M030. Rear p/n I have is 993-333-105-00)

The shorter front bump stops are 993.343.301.00

Last edited by DarthJesus; 09-28-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2020 | 09:51 PM
IainM
Drifting

it has to be said that replacing tired 20yr old Monroe’s with a modern coil over will be a ground shifting experience. If anyone out there is still running original shocks I urge you to replace them. Even if the car only has 30k on it the difference will be mind boggling.
the difference between the current offerings is only really apparent at the limit on a track.
When it comes to active dampers, I’d like to know what the algorithm is to control the dampening resistance. On a track I can see how you could program the dampers for each corner to give the response you want. But out in the boonies, you don’t know what the next turn will be like. For that scenario, I like the car to behave consistently so that I can read the topography, apply throttle accordingly and get a reasonably predictable outcome.
sorry to ramble on. I guess my question to you is what benefits have you learned about that make you want to fork out extra $$$ for adaptive shocks?
Old 09-28-2020 | 09:56 PM
IainM
Drifting

...oh and the car looks great BTW, and I’m very impartial😎
Old 09-28-2020 | 10:06 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DarthJesus
I have the front p/n handy, will look into the rear. (I forgot if the rear has the same p/n for US and M033/M030. Rear p/n I have is 993-333-105-00)

The shorter front bump stops are 993.343.301.00
Thank you DJ. The short front part number checks out. I’m wondering if the rear is the same part number for US and RoW fitment. If you get the chance to check what you installed (for rear) that would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2020 | 11:05 PM
DarthJesus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Todynot
Thank you DJ. The short front part number checks out. I’m wondering if the rear is the same part number for US and RoW fitment. If you get the chance to check what you installed (for rear) that would be appreciated. Thanks again.
I found the receipt and right or wrong, I did buy/install the numbers I gave above. All good so far!
Old 09-29-2020 | 01:47 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IainM
it has to be said that replacing tired 20yr old Monroe’s with a modern coil over will be a ground shifting experience. If anyone out there is still running original shocks I urge you to replace them. Even if the car only has 30k on it the difference will be mind boggling.
the difference between the current offerings is only really apparent at the limit on a track.
When it comes to active dampers, I’d like to know what the algorithm is to control the dampening resistance. On a track I can see how you could program the dampers for each corner to give the response you want. But out in the boonies, you don’t know what the next turn will be like. For that scenario, I like the car to behave consistently so that I can read the topography, apply throttle accordingly and get a reasonably predictable outcome.
sorry to ramble on. I guess my question to you is what benefits have you learned about that make you want to fork out extra $$$ for adaptive shocks?
Fork out extra for adaptive shocks? I you mean the Konis they are the cheapest 993 shocks uou can find from a reputed maker.
Old 08-07-2023 | 07:45 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

@Bigwood , @Pdaddy, @993pbug , @waizone and others --- I am considering replacing my RoW M030 + Bilstein HD setup with a RoW M030 + Koni Special Active (FSD) setup .... in the name of ride compliance.
However, I have read through this thread and am somewhat concerned that that the front end with Koni Special Actives may be a bit higher than I'd like .... even if the front strut were adjusted for the lowest ride height.
I have read above that with Koni Special Actives, that the gap between the tire and the front fender is "two fingers" .... (unclear on where the struts are set wrt ride height). Can anyone provide feedback on whether I can achieve these results below (see pictures) with RoW M030 and Koni Special Actives? (below photos are what I have achieved with the Bilstein HDs). Thank you.

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Koni Sport or Special Active became a tough choice