Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear wheel
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2004, 10:01 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jdoc7............ I love the red brakes... awesome car!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 10:52 PM
peterf
Advanced

jdoc7,
Looks great. I would like to do the same. Did you keep the original sway bars and links? Also, where did you buy the parts?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:54 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

fbfisher,
Here's a pic of my car. I love the way it handles,,not much different from my son's '98 cab with 18's. Flex is no different and ride quality is surprisingly good,,,
Old 03-06-2004, 11:04 PM
jdoc7
Pro

peterf,

The rear drop links were replaced with the shorter drop links that came with the rear shocks, supplied by Bilstein. I purchased the set from Gert at www.carnewal.com

As far as the sways, they are the originals. I was under the impression that you could not use the original sways if you drop the vehicle to RS specs since they are not adjustable like the RS sway bars. I asked about this prior to the install and was told that the problem is that the sway bar will contact the control arm while the vehicle is suspended. Consequently, the mechanic has found a way around that so that RS specs can be used with the stock sways. I'm not sure if the drop links/sway bar, will contact any part of the control arm when the car is on level ground, especially under hard cornering. Maybe someone can chime in on that. With the driving I have done so far, I haven't had any issues. I am a little concerned about rubbing with the front tires since I am running 225/40-18's on an 8.5 inch rim. Typical front wheels are 8 inches on these cars so another 1/2 inch seems like a big difference. Anyone have 8.5's up front with the car lowered this much and have any rubbing? In any case, it's not a daily driver and I'm pretty careful when I take it out.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 320 Posts

Lean, low and mean! Nice.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:36 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Wow, all these cars are dumped, just how I like it to sit Looking good jdoc!
Old 03-07-2004, 12:46 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

fbfisher: here's another. By the way, these were taken by the PO

Old 03-07-2004, 01:50 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking car mike, thanks for posting the pics. Interesting that you don't notice much difference in the ride quality between stock with 18" wheels and your set up.

You and your son should come up for our run on March 21st so that we can see them in person. You won't be the first father/son combo on a "fun run" - check out the thread when it gets bumped for details.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey guys...

It was my shop "Kauth & Mayeur" in IL that lowered both Jdoc7 & Malibus Steves 993's.

Both were a real pleasure.

Dr. Steves car has all the right stuff, and Jdoc's car is super super clean (even the wheel wells). I just wish Jdoc would have left my front license plate frame on his car!

Anyhow... Both cars were corner balanced with a 200 lb gent in the driver seat. And both cars have adjustment for ride height (in the form of an adjustable spring perch) @ all four corners. The shock & spring kit that both of these gents used happens to be my favorite set up.

I hope I see you both back for more installation soon. Maybe a Supercharger for both of you in the near future?

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike........... Thanks for the compliment. As we have discussed the I'm looking for forward to hearing from you on the next step. My compliments to the chef on the very fine setting, presentation and gourmet driving experience. Illinois roads will never be the same as long as I am able to retain my driving privilidges.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:49 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

jdoc, PERFECT ride height!!! Looks sweet.

How's the ride height of H&R's differ from Eibach?

mike
'86 coupe
Old 03-08-2004, 11:42 AM
jdoc7
Pro

MIK911

I'm not sure what the actual ride height difference is between the Eibachs and H&R's but have been told that all things equal, the Eibachs would drop the car even more. Although springs do most of the dropping, I did get the extra 30mm of thread on the front shocks allowing for the possibility of attaining RS specs (by lowering the spring perch). I wouldn't want to go any lower than this. As an update, I did some spirited driving yesterday and noticed an increase in the ride stiffness, especially over expansion joints and the like. This is contrary to my initial impression where I stated that the ride was not at all jarring. If you hit an uneven surface perpendicularly, you will feel it down your spine. It's all subjective though, maybe I have a sensitive *** On an upnote, the car does handle more precisely and feels very buttoned down. Turning inputs are instantaneous. Visually, the improvement goes without saying.

Quick Reply: Pics of my lowered 95' NB with Bilstein HD/H&R's