Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Barnfind

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 02:29 PM
Gert 993
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 49 Posts

I made a short trip in town, ohh that feels good.
I crossed a guy on his bicycle giving me a thumbs up.

Last edited by Gert 993; 05-06-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Gert 993
Instructor

Today while driving I discovered that the ABS warning-light does not go out, and the speedo is stil not working.
A week ago I discovered the ABS ecu did not receive power, a cut wire in the fuse box was the cause. I was not able to drive the car until i received the license plates today. I kinda hoped the repair of the cut wire would have solved the problem.

last week I received the Bergvill T-OBD with open source diagnostic software created from a rennlist member, if you are reading this: thanks a lot man 😁

reading the errorcodes showed 3 DTC’s
25: left speedsensor, 34:inlet valve RR 38:exaust valve RR

which is very strange.
25 is possible and wil cause the malfunction of the speedometer.
but 34, and 38 valves are not present in a car without ABD.
i looked to the ABS ecu and it stated ABS/ABD 993.618.127.00 this is a ECU for a M224 ‘97 car. The hydraulic unit is a 993.355.955.00 Wich is a standard non ABD unit.

How can a car whithout ABD be equipped with this ECU. Somebody must have swapped it, but why??

the real question is what ecu do i need?
according to porsche parts catalogue model ’94 requires 993.618.125.00 and model ’95 requires 993.618.125.01
since the car is manufactured in 94 but factory revinned to model ‘95. What part do i need?

can somebody provide me a model ‘94 ABS wiring diagram?
i’m using a 95 abs wiring diagram if i could compair it to the 94, and then compair it to the pinout of the car, it could help me to figure this out.

Last edited by Gert 993; 05-03-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:32 AM
Gert 993
Instructor

After some digging in Porsche technical bulletins, I found a article from August 2014 about model year 95 ABS new version.

hydraulic unit 993.355.755.00 with date/serial 462/502372 and above is the new version.
mine is above, so i’m having the newer version.

but according to this bulletin they used the same partnumbers only the date/serial can give identification.
new ECU can be mounted on old or new hydraulic unit. But a old ecu can not be mounted on new hydraulic unit.

In the Porsche partscatalogue model year 95 and above has a different part number 993.618.125.01

it's possible that porsche did change the partnumbers after the service bulletin was released.

Last edited by Gert 993; 05-06-2020 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Correction of partsnumber
Old 05-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Gert 993
Instructor

Yesterday I went to the MOT inspection, with a non functional speedometer, and a burning ABS light
I'm not proud of it but since I used to be a inspector, i know the regulations and the RDW inspectors handbook. (RDW is the dutch MOT)
The speedo and the illumination of the speedo has to work according to vehicle regulations, but during MOT inspection the inspector does not drive with the car.
And if you look to the inspectors handbook, it states that the regulations about the speedo are not to be tested at the MOT inspection.
And the functions of the ABS light have to be tested for cars of 2017 and younger.
So the inspectors have to ignore those 2 malfunctions

At the MOT inspection they only discovered a minor play at one of the ball joints of the rear axle, but it was not enough for a negative evaluation.
So they only had to note this on the MOT form, and the car is OK for the next year.

Now the car can be used in normal (unlimited) road use

Of course the malfunctions has to be repaired, but I wanted the MOT as fast as possible because, If you have a car registered in the Netherlands you are obligated to have a insurance and a valid MOT inspection.
If not you can get a ticket, even without driving the car.
They just look at the carregistration for cars that are not insured or not MOT inspected and if they find such a car, they just sent a ticket to the owner.
I just wanted to prevent from getting a ticket.

In the mean time a found a used ABS computer 993.618.125.00 of the new version for a good price. And i ordered new suspension-parts to replace the joint with the minor play at the rear axle.
Hopefully they send me the parts this week, so i can carry on with the repairs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gert 993:
NormD (05-06-2020), The Eagle (05-06-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 04:02 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gert 993
Yesterday I went to the MOT inspection, with a non functional speedometer, and a burning ABS light
I'm not proud of it but since I used to be a inspector, i know the regulations and the RDW inspectors handbook. (RDW is the dutch MOT)
The speedo and the illumination of the speedo has to work according to vehicle regulations, but during MOT inspection the inspector does not drive with the car.
And if you look to the inspectors handbook, it states that the regulations about the speedo are not to be tested at the MOT inspection.
And the functions of the ABS light have to be tested for cars of 2017 and younger.
So the inspectors have to ignore those 2 malfunctions

At the MOT inspection they only discovered a minor play at one of the ball joints of the rear axle, but it was not enough for a negative evaluation.
So they only had to note this on the MOT form, and the car is OK for the next year.

Now the car can be used in normal (unlimited) road use

Of course the malfunctions has to be repaired, but I wanted the MOT as fast as possible because, If you have a car registered in the Netherlands you are obligated to have a insurance and a valid MOT inspection.
If not you can get a ticket, even without driving the car.
They just look at the carregistration for cars that are not insured or not MOT inspected and if they find such a car, they just sent a ticket to the owner.
I just wanted to prevent from getting a ticket.

In the mean time a found a used ABS computer 993.618.125.00 of the new version for a good price. And i ordered new suspension-parts to replace the joint with the minor play at the rear axle.
Hopefully they send me the parts this week, so i can carry on with the repairs.
That's funny. Did they say anything at all about the speedo and ABS light? Or did they know you are an ex-RDW inspector?
Old 05-07-2020, 04:32 AM
Gert 993
Instructor

The trip odo was not standing at zero, thats normaly the first red flag you see about a speedo not functioning.
and the ABS light is hard to notice in daylight because of the white gauge dials are hard to lit through.
He did not say anything about it, it's possible he did not even noticed it.
I think the gauge dial faces are not genuine Porsche, I'm thinking to change them back to genuine black gauge dials.

He knows i worked in the car bussiness before, i don't know if he knows that i was a inspector.
But he probably wil assume i was, if you go talking about regulations in detail then it is very obvious.

But i was right about the registration check about having a valit MOT inspection.
despite having the car registered at Friday and having a valid MOT inspection on tuesday, i already received a warning letter from the government yesterday about not having a valit MOT inspection.
Luckily it's just a warning, i asume they saw the car was only registered for e few days so they did not sended the ticket right away.
But i was right about not waiting for having the MOT inspection as soon as possible.

Last edited by Gert 993; 05-07-2020 at 04:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 05-07-2020, 04:32 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Gert,
Wonderful find! I would love to bring a discarded or heavily-damaged 993 back to life.

Andreas
Your wish is my command, however you will have to live vicariously through me on this one. I have a thread going too.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:46 PM
Gert 993
Instructor

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Your wish is my command, however you will have to live vicariously through me on this one. I have a thread going too.
Ouwch, i would strip it first to see how far the chassis is damaged.
if i look to the door its probably not straight anymore. I hope you know someone who has a Cellette to pull this one straight and weld in some new parts.

Last edited by Gert 993; 06-18-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Beautiful!

Andreas
Old 05-07-2020, 05:25 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gert 993
Ouwch, i would strip it first to see how far the chassis is damaged.
if i look to the door its probably not straight anymore. I hope you know someone who has a Cellette to pull this one straight and weld in some new parts.
Thanks Gert, she is straight as an arrow now.

Heading to paint and body shop this month. I pulled all the interior out and contemplating pulling out the harnesses but most have told me not too. Just paint is with them in. Color is Aventurine Green Metallic original except for the new panels (hood, left and right fenders and front and rear bumpers).

Gettin it straight

panels on
Old 05-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Gert 993
Instructor

Thanks Gert, she is straight as an arrow now.

Heading to paint and body shop this month. I pulled all the interior out and contemplating pulling out the harnesses but most have told me not too. Just paint is with them in. Color is Aventurine Green Metallic original except for the new panels (hood, left and right fenders and front and rear bumpers).
nicely done, i want mine to be technical 100% before i take it to the bodyshop.
first i have some issues to take care of.

- speedo
- ABS
- gearbox 2nd synchro
- replace ball joint of rear axl with minor play
- wheel allignment
- climate control
- airconditioning
- rear spoiler
- airbag
- radio / multimedia
- wheels new powder coating

I don’t have to get bored in the next month or so.

Last edited by Gert 993; 05-07-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:30 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Yeah, That's a list I think I will write down too. Just got my engine yesterday. M64/23.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Gert 993
Instructor

It’s been a while, temperatures are going up, and i’m verry bussy at work.
But now and then i have spend a few hours to repair the speedo of the 993.

I received the right ABS computer a few weeks ago,

After connecting the new computer, i erased the fault memory and no DTC’s returned.
after driving a few meters the ABS light went off, and at a emergency stop ABS is working perfectly, thats another problem solved.

But the speedo is still not working.
when measuring the speed signal from the ABS everything looks fine.

This signal goes to the “electronic informer” and normaly from there is the speed signal altered and delivered to the speedo.
but the signal is gone at the speedo

The informer could be broken, or the speed signal could have short circuit to grond.
I wanted to test the speedo itself to see if worked, but on the bench it worked perfectly with 12v supply and a 8VDC 50%duty cycle 20Hz->300Hz signal.

Then I changed the informer but still no working speedo, So it had to be a short circuit of the signal.
after examining the schematics I discovered that the cruise control, the spoiler, hi-fi amplifier and the Alarm/central locking are all connected with the speed signal.
when I disconnected the alarm/central locking the problem was solved, the speedo is working.

i
So I started to investigate what was wrong with the central locking unit.
when I opened the box, this is what I discovered

I think it’s pretty obvious now why the speedo was not working.
i still has a problem with the spoiler, when I opened that box I found a little damage to one resistor.
after cleaning and measuring the resistor and comparing it to the colourcode, I found out the resistor was defect.

i removed the smd resistor and could find some space to solder in a normal resistor with the same value.
after testdriving, the spoiler is also working perfectly.

so 3 problems solved.
the next thing I have to take a look to, is the central locking system.
to be continued.........
Attached Files

Last edited by Gert 993; 06-02-2020 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Try to remove the zip file
The following 2 users liked this post by Gert 993:
cole_ve (06-22-2020), The Eagle (06-02-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 03:30 PM
Gert 993
Instructor

New update on the 993,

Refinishing of the wheels and brake calipers:
The paint of the wheels are chemicaly removed (this is better then sand blasting because chemical removal does not leave a ruf texture at the surface.
Then the wheels are repainted and clear coated.

I repainted my brake calipers with paint that holds up to 800°C, the porsche letters are also painted with the heat resistant paint.
I used a negative sticker to spray the white letters and then removed the sticker to add a layer of heat resistant clear coat.
I rebuild the calipers, 2 pistons and seals had to be replaced, the rest was fine.
I also replaced all the brake hoses (safety first)

Repainted calipers Caliper rebuild, pistons and seals replaced.

Repair of the Caliper Bold threads at the right side
While refitting the front caliper at the right, one bolt did not have good threads, so I had to place two helicoils of M12x1,5mm.
Now with the steel inserts the specified torque setting will not be a problem.

Replacing wheel bearings at the front L+R.
It was time to replace the front wheel bearings, the sound was not like it should be wile spinning the wheels.
And since I was already there, it was only a bit more work to have the bearings replaced.

New wheel bearings at the front

Restored front lightning
I have restored the wiring of the front lightning, it was a mess! The foglights were removed and those connectors were heavily damaged.
I replaced the damaged connectors with connectors from a donor wiring harness (all genuine parts)

Wiring harness before repair Wiring harness after repair

I re-fitted original fog lights, with new lenses.
I used windshield glue and primer for the lenses, this worked perfect and now i'm sure the lenses wont come off and won't leak water

Last edited by Gert 993; 07-25-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:39 PM
Gert 993
Instructor

The result:

The following 9 users liked this post by Gert 993:
Andreas. (06-01-2021), Cayman292 (07-25-2020), Cayman7 (07-26-2020), flyingchappy (10-04-2023), LimeyBoy (08-01-2020), m32 (09-22-2020), macanakey (07-26-2020), NC TRACKRAT (07-26-2020), The Eagle (07-26-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 993 Barnfind