Sponsored by:

Is there any wrong with letting the car roll in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 12:49 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High,
I know im in a 964 but maybe I can help a little, In my owners manual on pg. 27 it says "Do not stop engine immediately after hard or extended driving. Keep engine running at increased idle for about 2 minutes to prevent exsessive heat build-up before turning off engine." also it states that "If the iginition is switched on for at least 30 seconds,rear fan temperature will be monitered for at least 15 minutes after the ignition is switched off". another quote," Do not let engine idle to warm it up".also "Temperature sensors automatically provide the correct feul/air mix nessecary for starting." It says nothing about starting for a short while and then turning it off.
on page 28 it gives the maximum downshift speeds; 2nd to 1st is 39 mph or 3800 rpms! it is my practice to shift down to second through the gears, when im completely stopped i put in first and wait to go.
After hard drives or long trips I always open my spoiler manually, and let the engine idle for 1 or 2 minutes. I've been pulling my car out of the garage and stopping it to wash it for years,and have no negative effects however after washing I always take it for a 5 minute ride around the block. Info should be in a 993 manual also.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:01 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hmm.. Sorry, I don't agree.

My uncle was part of the old KRACO race team (yellow car) as the promotions manager and Michael Andretti and Geoff Brabham were the team drivers then. My uncle Rick asked if Michael could show his nephew (me) how to drive his 1983 VW Scirocco with a 5 speed the proper way. I taught myself how to drive it at 15 and I was 16 when I met Michael. Needless to say I was not doing much right. I had a wonderful lesson for about 3 hours and learned how to properly do clutchless shifting (speed shifting) stay on a steep hill without hitting the brakes, etc.

With regard to downshifting before coming to a stop, I was told NOT to put the car in neutral and "coast" to a stop. Automatic transmissions downshift before coming to a stop in conjunction with applying the brake. This combination is best for the brakes since they are designed to stop the car with downshifing. I was also told to never shift to 1st gear while moving, only at a complete stop due to the low gearing and possible damage to the syncros.

I downshift through the gears when coming to a stop and once stopped go from 2nd to 1st and prepare to move forward. For instance, in my 993 if I am in 4th gear coming up to a stop light, I take my foot off the gas, wait for the rpms to drop, shift to 3rd, apply the brake, then to 2nd then a full stop, shift to 1st, wait for the light, then go.

I was almost rear-ended in Costa Mesa, CA on the freeway overpass before South Coast Plaza. I saw a car coming at me in my rear view mirror while I was stopped and he was not slowing down at all, in a split second I floored it into the left lane and went around the car in front of me which got plowed so hard it was pushed into the guard rail and half the car was hanging over the freeway below. Had I not been in 1st gear with the clutch in I would have been toast. I stopped to help of course and the police took my statement.

As far as there being extra wear on the clutch by properly downshifting... hmm never heard that one before, I suppose if you didn't let the RPMs drop and you did a 4th to 2nd gear downshif to slow down the car that would be a different story, but when you downshift to the proper gear and slow the car down by applying the brakes as well, you won't wear out the clutch faster. Remember there are a LOT of cars and trucks out there with manual transmissions that you HAVE to downshift in while coming to a stop or slowing down. They don't have the same 4 wheel disc brakes that our 993s do.... My '92 Ford F-150 truck with a 5 speed would have rear ended many cars if I just used the brakes and didn't downshift. Those rear drums/front discs were terrible even brand new.

As a final note. Ask any trucker what they do when they come to a stop. You'll get the correct answer.

Sean
Old 10-30-2001, 11:00 PM
993 4S
Intermediate

First question: I've only been driving stick for about four months now, between my car and the 993 (my transmission doesn't even begin to compare to that of the 993's) and I always downshift when coming to a stop. Whenever I can, I try to double clutch also. Is double clutching that necessary and that effective that I should be doing it almost every time I come to a stop?

Second question: When downshifting into second gear (and sometimes upshifting) especially in the cold weather, there is grinding . Easing the shifter into its place seems to lesson the grinding and when the car warms up, the grinding seems to go away. Any ideas of how the grinding came about?? Any suggestions about what to do (i.e not downshifting into second gear) until the problem is fixed??
Old 10-31-2001, 01:51 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by SeanD:
<STRONG>As a final note. Ask any trucker what they do when they come to a stop. You'll get the correct answer.

Sean</STRONG>
I am far from being an expert on this subject but i thought truckers have to use gears to slow down due to the heavy load they carry.

I suppose downshifting to a stop is good for the car but in the reality of stop and go traffic i can't just imagine doing that from one stop light to the next. And you have to do it in a perfect way to gain the benefit.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:09 PM
nostatic
Instructor

My $0.02. I always downshift when coming to a stop, but never into 1st. I also don't downshift into high revs...I coast/brake, then downshift.

As far as either leaving the clutch in, or putting the car in neutral with clutch out at a stop light, my wrench says that leaving the clutch in (which I have always done) will wear the throwout bearing quicker. And damned if at 100K miles my 4-runner started making a clutch-related noise. I had the clutch replaced, and the mechanic said the clutch had 30% left...but the throwout bearing was toast.

Live and learn...
Old 10-31-2001, 07:09 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Hn,

You are correct. They DO downshift due to the heavy load. Your 993 while fairly light, is still a heavy machine. The rule of thumb here I guess is to downshift when slowing/stopping with any vehicle that is a manual be it a truck or a Mini. Porsches and sports cars in general have great brakes, they provide better stopping power in relation the the power and speed at which they can move, not for clutchless stops.

Sean
Old 10-31-2001, 10:35 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Regarding the idleing / engine on/off topic -- what happens if you accidently stall the 993 engine? for exampe, during my first weekend driving the 993, (please dont laugh), I stalled it several times as I wasnt used to driving a car with such a stiff clutch. It seemed to restart fine and everything was fine -i think?. Is there anything that I should check. Is this really bad for the engine?

Quick Reply: Is there any wrong with letting the car roll in neutral