Sponsored by:

Front Jacking Point

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 02:45 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts
Post Front Jacking Point

Is there a central jacking point at the front of the car I could use to raise the front end only? (i.e. sticking the jack under the car from the nose)

Any help is appreciated! Pictures are even better!
Old 03-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
There is a front jack point but unless you have a really stiff suspension it won't lift both sides of the car. It sure isn't a factory approved option but you could use a large piece of wood to distribute the force of the jack and lift both sides from the center.
Or use two jacks on the factory points.
Greg
Old 03-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I tried jacking mine using the front jack point and heard way more creaks than using the rear jack point to lift that entire side of the car. After that, I've just used the rear jack points for all lifting.

Why don't you just use the rear jack points and stick jackstands under the front to keep it up? Or use ramps?

Brett
Old 03-22-2002, 02:32 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am typically not as worried about creaks and groans as the majority of lower milers around here. I use a 2x4 that goes across the whole width of the underside. Works fine, might have left a little crease, but you have to crawl under the car to see it anyway. I am in the process of having a metal fab shop make me about an 24" square piece of flat (probably .040" thick) steel and use that to better spread the load over the whole front of the car. Of course you only need it to lift because the stands go right under. It certainly is a faster way to lift both front tires off the ground quickly without having to go to each side of the car. Especially useful when switching tires from side to side at the track.

Of course most purists will not endorse this method and that is fine.

E. J.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:46 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Thanks guys- Brett-EJ I am indeed interested in doing this in order to switch the tires from side to side as quickly as possible. It takes a lot longer using the jack stands or using an extra wheel and jacking it twice.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:30 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

That's the proper way Kim, but I don't do much the proper way. Hell, I still have my snow tires on. Plus, pain to drive on boards at the track.

George, Do you want me to have them make you a plate too and you can pick it up sometime? I am in Clifton, VA.

E. J.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by E. J.:
<strong> Hell, I still have my snow tires on.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

So do I, they make great rain tires. Hmm... Now that is an idea maybe I should make my snows my wets for the track.
Greg
Old 03-24-2002, 11:33 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kim,

That jack looks just about great...where did you find it???
Old 03-25-2002, 01:24 PM
john.rogers
Intermediate

Went to a P-Car tech session recently and Jerry at EPE in Natick commented that he sees about 50% of the cars he works on as having "damaged" brake lines due to jacking "mis-placement". He cautioned that the damage could cause problems down the road. His word was caution when jacking.

Just wanted to pass this along.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:08 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Thanks EJ, I ended up just putting her on jack stands and will probably continue to do so in the foreseeable future. I just bought an aluminum jack (for the track only in addition to my "home" jack) and the wife is... well... let's just say she's a wonderful woman and leave it at that.

Are you doing PCA Potomac events?
Old 03-25-2002, 05:46 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has anyone seen or used a low rise pad lift. At $1500 and you can park over it when not in use it seems like a reasonable option.

<a href="http://targetlifts.com/main/lifts/pad/padlifts.html" target="_blank">6K lb low rise pad lifts</a>

<a href="http://www.gesforless.com/DB-Interfaces/ProductChild/_reports/displayitem.asp?CategoryID=1&SubCategoryID=14&ProductID=185" target="_blank">Garage Equipment Supply</a>

Quick Reply: Front Jacking Point