Sponsored by:

oil extraction through dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 10:38 AM
LC997C4s
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Post oil extraction through dipstick

Has anyone have any feedback on using an oil extractor device on a 993. Apparently you insert a tube through the dipstick tube down to the bottom of the pan, you then pump a handle to create suction and the vacuum pressure created extracts all of the oil into its own canister (7 quarts so you would need to do it twice, automatic float shutoff when you reach almost 7 quarts).

They seem to cost in the range of sixty dollars and I was told that you are able to extract more oil using this method than just allowing the oil to drain via the drain plug.

Obvioulsy you still need to change the oil filters, but it would apper to me that to remove the oil, this is an easier, cleaner and maybe better way to go about it.

Appreciate to hear some feedback.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2001, 12:54 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hard part about 993 oil changes isn't the draining of the old oil, it's changing the @%@!! filters. So you'd be spending $ on a part which really doesn't save you from the heavy lifting.

You can get 10.5 quarts out using Robin's DIY instrutions at http://p-car.com/
Old 06-06-2001, 02:47 PM
LC997C4s
Instructor

see thats what i was told......u cannot get all te oil out by just removing the drain plug.......apparently with the extractor and the vacuum that is created provided that the tube is bottomed out you will get all the oil out.
Old 06-06-2001, 03:10 PM
NRK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The product you may be referring to is sold by Griot's Garage (and maybe others)as the Oil/Liquid Extractor. I have one and use it regularly, on the theory that my oil contaminates quickly with the repeated shorter trips I end up making. It's very easy to use, and when the oil is warm you can get out every bit that's not in the lines or the filters. I use it on other cars, too. No complaints. I should point out that this is not a substitute for regular oil change services by someone qualified (not me!) Just a precautionary measure.

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: NRK ]
Old 06-06-2001, 03:14 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by lchaleff:
<STRONG>u cannot get all te oil out by just removing the drain plug.......apparently with the extractor and the vacuum that is created provided that the tube is bottomed out you will get all the oil out.</STRONG>
The main reason why you can't get all the oil out is because of the oil in the oil coolers and the lines that run to the oil coolers. vacuum is still not going to do it, because most likily when you are changing out the oil the oil thermostate is in the closed position which prevents the oil from the oil cooler and the oil lines that flows to it from flowing. No matter what you use you still can't get more than 10.5 quarts out of there. Unless you drain the oil cooler and the lines.

Old 06-06-2001, 07:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I always drain the oil, I have older 911, but in principle, my opinion is, that using the extractor is not a good idea because when draining the oil, you get the small metal 'dusts' or any other small 'dirt' obkects out of the system, because they are usually at the bottom of the pan and when draining, they drain out with the oil.

Or am I wrong about this?
Old 06-07-2001, 10:29 AM
LC997C4s
Instructor

Thanks for the input...based on what Robin is saying (which I am sure is absolutly correct)there is probably no benifit to using such a device (that is if you are replacing the filters at the same time).

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:54 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Europe don't shops routinely vacuum the oil out during oil changes? I thought I heard this was some environmental regulation over there.
Old 06-07-2001, 11:06 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Many other countries use the vacuum method too, I don't think there is anything wrong with that method, is just that it doesn't help much in making the job easier for the 993, because draining the oil out of a 993 is not the hard part.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:35 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe in mainland europe, but not in the UK.

They still drain into special cans, which are normally emptied into barrels. The garages then have to pay some environmental tax to cover disposal costs.
Well actually the punter pays, but thats another story

I'm not quite sure how you would vacuum out the oil from anything but a dry-sumped angine anyway. Where would you place the pipe on an overhead cam engine with only a dipstick going anywhere near the sump ?

I'd never heard of these things until it was mentioned here.

Quick Reply: oil extraction through dipstick