Questions about raising 933 for engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 12:47 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Post Questions about raising 933 for engine removal

Hello all,

I posted this before on the old list, but it was during the changeover. I wanted to get your opinion on how I plan to raise my car. I have had the problem of the clutch disc not fully releasing on deceleration. 2 people have had my exact symptoms, and have found it to be corrosion on the input shaft, causing the disc to hang up at times. So, when the semester is over, I'm going to drop my engine. This is how I plan to get the rear up high enough to clear the motor; please let me know what you think. First, I'll get the front end up on those foot tall ramps that you drive on to change oil. Then I'll raise the rear from the motor high enough to where the motor will clear the bumper once out (supporting the rear with jackstands at the rear factory mounts). If that height/angle looks unsafe, then I'll remove the rear bumper (from the manual it looks like removing it will create a lot of clearance). My main concern is having the car at an angle on jackstand, since that will create some forward force. I replaced a clutch on my old '88 911, but I had access to a lift then, which made the job pretty easy. Do any of you have any comments of suggestions?

Thanks, David
Old 06-06-2001, 02:02 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Rick, I have not pulled the engine on a Porsche 911, but I think that if you raise the nose a foot, you might have real trouble raising the rear since I doubt you'll get a jack under the engine then.

Why not jack up left side, put on stands, then raise right side and put it in stands? I find I can raise entire side of car from rear jacking point.

In any case, this sounds like a scary job to do w/o a lift.

Quick Reply: Questions about raising 933 for engine removal