993 Forum 1995-1998

Supercharger mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 09:30 PM
cecil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Supercharger mini Review

OK so far so good. 500 miles. A few minor glitches due to installation snafus. I think I have them all worked out. Driving the car to Blowing Rock NC tommorow. This car will spin the tires. Turn the wheel and hit the gas rolling in 1st and you can do a 180. Blowing Rock North Carolina... where they drink it clear out of a jar and Junior Johnson is still the King. I'll spin some tires
Old 06-06-2001, 04:39 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Thumbs up

That's a very 'mini' review! Keep us posted on things like temperatures, fuel consumption, dyno results, 2002 M3s squashed, and the like.

The more information you can provide, the better it is for the teeming masses (like myself) contemplating following in your footsteps.
Old 06-06-2001, 10:02 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Since they remove the left side ventillation ducts to install the super charger, what has happened to your ventillation system now?

As far as I know the ducts provides air needed for the heat exchanger and also cools the motor after a hot run shut down (it blow air into the cylinder heads even with the key off, when it gets to certain temperatures)

Just wondering...

Thanks

Robin
Old 06-06-2001, 04:47 PM
David T.
Advanced

From Matt @ TPC:

"Every aspect of the climate control system remains functional. You will lose the heater fan assembly currently located in the rear of the vehicle. The heat will function via the two front blowers; the same configuration Porsche utilizes for the Turbo models. It is tried and true and never fear, you will have heat!"
Old 06-06-2001, 04:58 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by David T.:
<STRONG>From Matt @ TPC:

"Every aspect of the climate control system remains functional. You will lose the heater fan assembly currently located in the rear of the vehicle. The heat will function via the two front blowers; the same configuration Porsche utilizes for the Turbo models. It is tried and true and never fear, you will have heat!"</STRONG>
Thanks for the information, what about the blower cooling function I have mentioned that the blower assembly also serves? Does that function still exist?

TIA

Robin
Old 06-06-2001, 04:58 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The setup sounds very cool - the question, which you are helping to answer for all of us is durability. Something you might want to try to help reassure you about detonation. Do a tank full of unleaded race gas and see if you feel a difference in power (and maybe do some timed accelerations with both fuels). If you are getting detonation, then the higher octane fuel should allow the control system to provide more HP. If it is the same, then you are not LIKELY getting detonation. I also suspect you could get knock sensor outputs from the Hammer, if you could get a mechanic to hook it up for a ride.

BTW - The installation looks very clean and professional. Good luck and I hope to get to see the car at some point.
Old 06-06-2001, 10:02 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Mark D - 993TT:
<STRONG>Something you might want to try to help reassure you about detonation. Do a tank full of unleaded race gas and see if you feel a difference in power (and maybe do some timed accelerations with both fuels).</STRONG>
That sounds like a great idea, Mark. To follow it through, what about some sustained hard running to see how it would work in track-like conditions? The intercooler sounds like a good idea. I'm interested in this set up because I would really like more power but am not fond of the throttle lag associated with turbochargers.

Too bad we can't talk someone into doing durability testing, say 24 hours on a track? Anyone want to volunteer their car for the test? I'll pay for gas if I get to help drive...

~DJ

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: DJ ]
Old 06-06-2001, 10:52 PM
David T.
Advanced

Originally posted by Robin 993 DX In Atlanta:
<STRONG>

Thanks for the information, what about the blower cooling function I have mentioned that the blower assembly also serves? Does that function still exist? </STRONG>
Well blower is gone so I'm guessing that function too. Anyone knows what happens on the turbo car? In any case I personally am not very concerned about that since you can always let car cool down after hard run.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:12 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Porsche also took the blower out of the lightweight RS, so I don't think its cooling assistance is a huge issue -- just more of an added bonus if you already have the fan sitting there.

Quick Reply: Supercharger mini Review