993 Forum 1995-1998

California Smog Test Time Once Again for a 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 06:29 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy California Smog Test Time Once Again for a 993

It seems just like yesterday I had my car smog tested but indeed it was two years ago! So, now it must be done again. Last time was a comedy of errors at the smog station. I took it in myself and the poor fellows who ran the station were aghast at working with a lowered performance Porsche. We had to put 2X4's under the front wheels to get it to sit on the dyno rollers correctly. Then on start up the car "walked" at the back and nearly hopped the rollers sideways! Ultimately it passed but what a comedy of errors. And, all the time hooked to Sacramento.

This time around I am taking it to my local shop and he will take responsibility for running it through the tests at the station. For what it's worth at least in California I HIGHLY recommend anyone having their car smogged to use this approach. He has built up a working relationship with the smog station and he sites the car on the rollers and keeps everything in control through the process.

From what I understand the 90's Porsche's (mine is a 1995) are very clean cars. Germany has a large and politically potent "Green" party and it is incumbent on Porsche, BMW, etc. etc. to be technology leaders in this area.

I'll report to the board on my experience "when the hurley burley's done, when the battles lost and won".
Old 06-05-2001, 06:53 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

ON that note, just a word of caution or rather a reminder for those with a C4, C4S or a TT in New Jersey and perhaps certain states that use dynamometers. Since many Porsche dealers have stopped investing in the emissions equipment consequent upon the state's changes, many are forced to go to independent shops or stations. Some shops just assume that Porsche is RWD and put it on the dyno test. It may be a good idea to remind them to do the test the old fashioned way instead of the dyno way.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:06 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Garey-
Just had to smog my 97 C2S last week. Those odd year come by fast. Anyway, I have had two great experiences at a dive smog shop in Santa Ana across from the DMV on 1st Street. $40.25 and 15 minutes both times.

Santa Ana Smog Repair @ (714) 542-5298

No Affiliation etc. Just fast/cheap.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:16 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have never been required to subject either of my twin turbos to a rolling dyno for smog certification.I believe there is a provision in the California code to allow testing of AWD vehicles in a static mode!This has been the case at several different Huntington Beach smog stations over the past six years!

Quick Reply: California Smog Test Time Once Again for a 993