Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:33 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this?

Drove the Porsche out of town this weekend. Made it to my destination. Drove it all day. Back to the hotel that night and left with valet. This morning, car would start but would not go anywhere. With car in gear, some kind of scraping noise and it would only barely creep forward, and valet people hand me what looks like a ball bearing about 1" in diameter and a couple of cracked metal pieces. They said it came from my car. Clutch was replaced last year so don't think thats the prblem and I'm 300 miles from home. Any ideas?

Old 03-01-2004, 12:15 AM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove the Porsche out of town this weekend. Made it to my destination. Drove it all day. Back to the hotel that night and left with valet. This morning, car would start but would not go anywhere. With car in gear, some kind of scraping noise and it would only barely creep forward, and valet people hand me what looks like a ball bearing about 1" in diameter and a couple of cracked metal pieces. They said it came from my car. Clutch was replaced last year so don't think thats the prblem and I'm 300 miles from home. Any ideas?

Sorry to hear of your problems. It sounds like one of the half shafts came loose. Look under the rear of the car at the two half shafts that connect the transmission to the hubs/wheels. Based on your description, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them hanging down or with a CV joint busted.

I broke the bolts one one of my half shafts on the 944 once at an autocross. Launched the car hard from a standstill and just got a pop and then the car wouldn't go anywhere in any gear. Looked under the rear of the car and one of the halfshafts was hanging down. I got lucky in that what had happened is that 3 of the bolts had worked their way loose and then the other 3 (there are 6 total on the 944, and I think there are 6 on the 993 if I remember correctly) got sheered in two from the stress of a hard launch on competition tires. I was able to screw the 3 bolts that had worked their way loose back in and then carefully drive the car home for a proper repair. The bolts didn't fall off the car because the CV boot tends to hold them in place.

As to your car, the fact that the clutch was done recently makes me think that there is an even greater likelihood that the same thing as happened to my 944 happened to your car. I would particularly look at where the half shafts mate to the transmission. When the clutch was done, whoever was working on the car would have unbolted the halfshafts at these points. If the person didn't thoroughly clean all of the grease off the bolts before putting them back in and/or didn't properly torque them, then they could have worked their way out and then the remaining ones could have gotten broken. The other possibility is that the CV joint broke, although I think that is a very improbable scenario relative to the bolts having just worked their way out and then getting snapped. However, the cracked metal pieces means there was a lot more damage than just sheared bolts.

You will want to either have the axle repacked or just get new axles (you really should do both if you have to replace either one). If the bolts slipped out and are still on the car, you may be able to tighten the remaining ones back up like I did (I think they are an 8mm allen on the 993) and drive home, but the fact that the ball bearing was missing means you would almost certainly need new half shafts after doing that as you'd be running them without all of the bearings.

If I'm right about this, then...

As to the valet, they weren't just gingerly parking your car. Either (a) they took it joy riding and were launching the car pretty hard or (b) they couldn't drive stick very well and were jerking the car.

As to the shop that did the clutch, they didn't properly clean and torque the bolts.

Best of luck with it.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Harry.

Also....

Basically what you described is you are now on one wheel drive with a open differential. ABD will not enage because all wheel are turnin (if at all) at same speed.

Hmmm... but with a C4S, check your viscous coupling trasfer case too. The valet probably ruined that too by driving/creeping it back, with the rear axle spinning at high speed, the 4WD system dies in seconds. Remember the horry

Please make sure your shop is going to check into your 4WD systems, and send them(or insurance company) the bill. Remember the $5500 horror post C4 on a dynometer -- Total Disaster!

Sorry to hear
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about this.

Most people (though not on this board) think I'm nuts (I probably am), but I NEVER valet park.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Like others have said, maybe a CV joint. Anything else that would have failed wouldn't yield you any parts, until it was disassembled that is.

I too would question the valet guys. Did you notice the mileage when you handed over your car to the valet?

I know you are on the road, but is it possible to post a picture?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:22 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but as somone who was a valet and a valet manager in Atlantic City for over 8 years. DO NOT EVER VALET PARK YOUR CAR. I could write a book regarding the antics I have seen.

Kevin I am sorry to hear of your trouble. At this point I would start trying to work the hotel. Of course we always paid claims and kissed the customers rear end when we crashed a car (which happend alot) but we would occasionally do the same for a mechanical issue. Of course it would be best if you could have a shop tie the damage, in writing, to the valet. This is, of course, if the shop believe it is related to some mistreatment of the car. I am not advocationg trying to pin something on them if it is not clear they are at fault. Even if it turns out to not be their fault you may be able to get your room comped which could help to offset any repairs (this I am advocating). Good luck.

Jamie
Old 03-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Agro1
Banned

Kevin - Really sorry to hear about you problem man - that is a major bummer. I would not leave the hotel until I had it resolved that the valet is responsible. Being there in person will make it much easier than trying to deal with it a month down the line after the repair, over the phone. Don't leave that place until you have something in writing that says the hotel will be responsible for the damages.

Valets are bad news. I wouldn't let one of those nimrods park a skateboard.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:05 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Ditto! Get them to pay for the repairs. If they give you any BS, its time to call the most SOB Lawyer in town!

Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2004, 12:33 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Not to flame anyone. But it is possible the the valet is/was not responsible. As evidenced in my post above I don't trust any valet with my car. That being said I remember bringing a car down once and just as I pulled up to the waiting guests the car died and would not start. I had, just a week earlier, had the timing belt break on my old vovlvo wagon and after checking the car over a bit told them I thought that this was their problem. Of course they were very very skeptical. So I had the car towed to a shop and got them set up with some breakfast. Sure enough the shop confirmed broken timing belt. They realised it was not the hotel's fault and were very grateful for the help we gave them.

My advice would be to get with the managment of the hotel and try to get them to agree to take the word of an independant mechanic as to the cause. Of course the mechanic may not be able to say for sure if there was negligence. Could be that it just happend to fail at that specific time. Good luck.

Jamie
Old 03-01-2004, 12:41 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

It does sound like one of the CV joints exploded. Take a look through the rear wheel well and look at your drive axles and the rubber boots at the transaxle, and the wheel end. More than likely, it is on the left side.

Not a good thing being 300 miles from home. On the bright side, if a place can get an axle, it is only a 30 minute repair. Make sure they use new bolts on the transaxle side. Now the bad news, a new drive axle lists at $505.

Good luck with the car.. Always a drag to be stranded far from home. And yes I would go after the place that parked your car. Someone probably reved it a little too high and dumped the clutch and when the tires caught traction, pop. This is fairly uncommon though..
Old 03-01-2004, 12:45 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

In terms of getting the car fixed, Auto Europe in Detroit is a very good shop. No affiliation- just a satisfied customer. They did a PPI for me in January and I was impressed by their knowledge and level of detail in going over the car.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Agro1
Banned

Bob - What componets usually go first on 4wd 993's that have been abused and subjected to a lot of shock loading ?

Quick Reply: What is this?