Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 12:23 AM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?

I have proof!

Following three other cars today, not intentionally exceeding the limit, just going with the flow.

Guess which one got a ticket? The little silver air cooled number at the back.

Can I claim anything for discrimination...?

--Paul--
Old 06-02-2001, 12:54 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, being first or last in a group of cars speeding is the wrong place to be.

He's just going to grab the last guy in line, or pick out one of the cars if they are changing lanes a lot.

I've never been picked on because I was driving a 911.
Old 06-02-2001, 01:26 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While back got nailed by a state "Smokie" when I was doing 70 in a 55MPH zone on an interstate. He nailed me from behind as I passed the radar trap. As soon as the radar detector loudly beeped, a Corvette went by me doing about 10 MPH more than me. I still got pulled over; cop aplogized for pulling me over rather than the 'Vette - seems the radar unit locks onto a speeder at some threshold setting and then stays locked at that indicated speed value. I believe this is done to actually show a "perpetrator" the recorded speed on the screen after he is pulled over. For info, this was in PA. I think the cop would have rather gone after the 'Vette than me.

ON a recent trip to Watkins Glen, a coupe of participants stated they were stopped by radar (yes they had detectors) while driving on Rte 17 in NY. Some were doing about/over 85 MPH (one was in a 996 TT). Rather than write them up for speeding, cop wrote them up for "not wearing a seat belt". Seems NY is on a seatbelt campaign. The TT owner actually started saying "Wait a minute - I AM wearing my belt", then realized the break the cop was giving him (seatbelt vs. speeding violation). Cop also told him that when they DO pull someone over for some apparent violation, they are obligated to write a ticket.

So, in my opinion I do not feel the cops are picking on us rear-engined folks - especially the State Police folks (I have always found them to be courteous and professional).
Old 06-02-2001, 01:43 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Exclamation

Originally posted by (RO) Rick in Portland:
<STRONG>I've never been picked on because I was driving a 911.</STRONG>
I have. Twice. In the same week.

First, I was stopped at a signal, waiting to turn left. Light changed, I accelerated hard in first gear up to readline, saw the cop, backed off and shifted into second. First gear tops out at 37mph, speed limit was 45mph. I cruised in second at about 40mph, and the cop lit me up, pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for 54mph.

Second, I was coming home from work at about midnight. I was tired, so I got on the freeway and set the cruise control at 65mph (the speed limit was 65mph). After about 5 minutes, headlights in my mirror catch my attention, and about a 1/4 mile back I see a car swerving hard, changing lanes, back and forth, weaving fast through traffic. I keep watching as he gets closer, figuring that by the way he's driving, it's either a cop going somewhere in a hurry, or it's a drunk. I check my speed again, just to be sure, and try to decide if it's a cop or a drunk. As he gets closer, I get a better idea of what he's doing: zooming up directly behind a car, and at the last moment, swerving into the next lane, repeating this maneuver with each car he encounters. At this point, I decide that he's a drunk, and plan to be ready with an evasive maneuver for when he approaches me. When he lines up behind me about a hundred yards back, I prepare to change two lanes to the right, when he lights me up. He wrote me for 86mph in a 65mph zone.

I challenged both tickets in court, both times the officer showed up, lied in court, and I lost.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:18 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Were these in NON major metro areas. Those sort of experiences I have had only in the non metro areas. Metro area cops have been acting more chastened with a few lawsuits etc. But I still think that we are targeted out of....

My local Z06 dealer drove the car like he stole it in a 25 mile zone (0-60 was achieved in less than 4.5 secs I suspect that day) and then told me that Corvettes dont get tickets as easily as my German M3. I wonder what my 993TT will get me in that road.
Old 06-02-2001, 03:23 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Ran:
<STRONG>Were these in NON major metro areas. </STRONG>
I don't know what you'd consider "non-metro". One was in South Orange County, the other in South Riverside County (which is definitely semi-rural/non-metro).
Old 06-02-2001, 04:15 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

IMO, some cars/drivers ARE more likely to be stopped, just based on empirical data from my years as a prosecutor & traffic court judge & conversations on that subject w/innumerable cops.
But, it's less a function of make/model than other factors, such as: younger (esp in "fast" cars) more than older drivers, "beaters" & dirty more than good condition/ clean cars, bright colors more than dark (esp from the air - bright reds appear to be going faster & are therefore more likely to get clocked), and , of course, anything that attracts negative attention (from a cop's perspective), e.g., weaving, tailgating, burning rubber, loud exhaust, hard braking, loud music, limbs out the windows, etc.
AND, unfortunately, racial/ethnic profiling which is, of course, always denied, but is a harsh reality on the street.
Once stopped, whether you get a ticket or for what often depends on whether you pass or fail the cop's "attitude test."
Most cops I know are more likely to give a speeding pass to a well driven, clean 911 going 25mph over than to a clunker on skinny tires at 10mph over.
Any cops on the board for a first hand comment?

[ 02-06-2001: Message edited by: Dan 96C2 St.Louis ]

Old 06-02-2001, 05:33 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Rick,

Can you enlighten me on Oregon driving penalties. Does the DMV have a points system like some of the other states? This will be my third ticket in 4 1/2 years (and my least 'offensive', 13 mph over the limit in a 35 mph zone).

As far as I'm aware, the previous two tickets didn't adversely affect my insurance, but I guess this one might.

--Paul--
Old 06-02-2001, 05:51 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Paul
Oregon does not have a points system, but does have a disciplinary process tied to # tickets in a given time period. Go to Oregon Driver Manual and download the Manual (in Adobe) which explains the effect of tickets on your license. Hope this helps answer your question.
Old 06-02-2001, 05:58 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan.
Your response has earned you the coveted 5-star rating. Beautiful photograph of your car, BTW.
Old 06-02-2001, 06:24 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure what system they use here in Oregon. I got a ticket for making a U turn at an intersection with a left arrow. Of course, this is legal in California when I am from.

Oregon is the only state, here in the West, that making a U turn at a controlled intersection is illegal. Lucky me.

Also, if anyone is planning on visiting Oregon, carry your V1. Radar is everywhere including X, K, and Ka bands.

Rick
Old 06-02-2001, 07:23 PM
Peter UK
AutoX

Wink

Yeah, and get chased by every other vehicle with four wheels.

If its a white van, ecpect to get cut up at every opportunity.

Peter
Old 06-02-2001, 09:13 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

I find that I get stopped more often when driving a red car.
And yes white van drivers and Fiat uno's seam to have a vendetta against Porsches Peter.
Regards Tito.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:34 PM
wmoore993
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis:
<STRONG>
Most cops I know are more likely to give a speeding pass to a well driven, clean 911 going 25mph over than to a clunker on skinny tires at 10mph over.

[ 02-06-2001: Message edited by: Dan 96C2 St.Louis ]</STRONG>

I agree!

Several weeks ago I was crusing along and not paying attention to my speed. I looked up just in time to see his reverse lights flicker as he threw it into drive.

I pulled over directly in front of him so he didnt evin have to chace me. He asked if I knew how fast I was going, and I admitted I didnt. 86 he informed. Next he asked if I knew the limit on this stretch... Not sure. 60 he said. When was your last ticket? 7 years ago I explained.

Upshot was, he looks at my insurance card, runs my licence, and tells me he could understand in such a beautiful car, but wouldnt want me to surprise any other drivers... Sends me on my way with a handshake.

When I was putting it in the garage that evening, I noticed my stickers were evin expired.

I agree, clean well cared for car, curtious driver = best polocy.

-WAM
Old 06-04-2001, 04:46 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Strongly dissagree!! I got pulled over in a Speed Yellow 2001 Twin Turbo, doing ~15 MPH over the speed limit. The cops stopped me, told me he had never seen a car like mine, apologized for stopping me (he said that when people are speeding by him he is "expected" to pull them over, so he did), and sent me on my merry way. Could have been my lucky day though.......

Quick Reply: More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?