Sponsored by:

casting some eyeballs on a TT today

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 03:12 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Question casting some eyeballs on a TT today

I've volunteered to look at a 70K miles 96 993TT for a fellow Rennlister today. I'm far from an expert in this, but would like to help weed out a potentially really crappy car. Here's what I am hoping to accomplish:

1. do a cold start on the car, and check for smoke or unusual rattling. I have a 60K mile car, which does not smoke at all.

2. drive the car to ensure we can get full boost, and to ensure no noise in first gear. Can I detect the first gear noise by just "cruising" (no load) in first gear, or do I need to accelerate/deccelerate in first? Do I need to downshift to first? Is it OK if I double-clutch that downshift which I do by 40-year-old habit?

3. inspect the car for any possible repaired body damage. I'll look for the options sticker on the hood, and pull up the carpet and look for any sign of repair/paint.

4. drive the car to ensure that the transmission shifts smoothly, the brakes are working properly, and to get a sense of the power (again... I have my car for comparo purposes). Check the suspension (although he has Bilsteins on it... should be fine).

5. Check door jams for any overspray and wheels for curb rash. Tires for wear. The car should have the usual paint chips on the leading edges. Windshields tend to have little pits as well, unless recently replaced.

6. check where the car is parked for oil drips. I doubt that I'll be pulling off covers, but I'd like to get an idea about the steering rack leakage. Any ideas?

7. The car has a recent clutch, and mine is original. I'd like to see how the difference feels.

I've got a couple of hours before I go look. Any additional thoughts? I'm not a mechanic, so don't suggest anything that can't be done easily by your average doofus. And, I've told the prospective buyer that my eyeballs are only a prelude to a proper PPI, not a substitute.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:08 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

You could also check for :

a) panel gaps larger on one side than the other

b) both VIN numbers match, and match the paperwork

c) by popping lid off the oil cooler and AC relays, you should be able to switch the fans on both low and high speed. This will test for common ballast resistor failure. Not serious but still pricey to fix, especially if both are gone

d) uneven tire wear. An alignment might be necessary.

Last edited by graham_mitchell; 02-28-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:11 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

e) check that both front and rear hood struts are doing their jobs
Old 02-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought:
- check windshield and rear glass for fogging. To me this means the glass is failing. Also the rear window apparently is overstressed on the fat-body cars like the TT and C4S; personally witnessed one that shattered into a million pieces only by the driver closing his door when he got out of the car.

- Lift the trunk carpeting and look around. Has the battery leaked and soaked parts? Are the drain holes clear and the body dry and unrusted?

A car (esp. "high mileage" one) that has complete service/repair records - and log books - to me would be preferable to one that didn't.

And the bottom line - why is the idiot selling it?
Old 02-28-2004, 07:51 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Thanks everyone for the help. I went and looked, unfortunately before I was able to read Ray's post. The car was actually "like new". Really well kept. The "idiot" (a really nice guy, BTW), was thinking about getting a 360 or perhaps even a GT2. After he looked at my car, however, he started thinking about keeping his TT and tricking it up a bit. We drove each other's cars, and I took a lot of pictures that I'm getting ready to email.

I gave the seller the URL for this forum... if he keeps the car, he could really profit by the tips and "Malibu runs" that we do here.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of good you did our rennlister, you talked the guy out of selling the car!
Old 02-28-2004, 08:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I was really torn. I really want to help the buyer get a nice car within his budget, and this seems like a pretty nice candidate. However, the seller didn't know there was such a nice "family" of Porsche owners to relate to, and was very excited to hear about the upcoming (Mar 21) Malibu cruise. Here's an artsy fartsy shot of our two cars:
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Note to self: do not let Steve look at any car I may want to buy.

Note also to self: if ever I think about selling, ask Steve to come and visit and remind me of the joys and passions of P ownership and why not to sell
Old 02-29-2004, 12:34 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok I have known Steve well for 9 months now. I am pretty sure
that if a Yugo had 18" twists and a nice arena red paint job,
Steve would love it. This is a guy who just plain loves life and
cars. So forget sending him to the store to look at cars for you all!
Chances are hes gonna buy it himself.!! Way to go Steve!
Old 02-29-2004, 01:08 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I love cars a little too much to be objective. The seller also had a 454 CI Chevelle that he's just done a ground-up rebuild. 650 hp without the bottle. He started it up for me. OHMYGAWD. The ground was shaking. Just like being in the pits at the Winternationals. The prospective buyer and seller are talking, and the buyer is also discussing a really nice 65 Corvette 4-speed as partial payment. I'm just a nitwit for this stuff.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:15 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the buyer/lister was big time blue-balled?!!!

ohhhhhhhhhhh man. i was even gettin' some wood over the damn 'tt' (well, @ least a semi)

hee hee.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:57 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

i should ask first but i couldnt resist

Last edited by ruffy; 03-07-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Super,

Is there a question in there somewhere? That picture is of the seller's polar silver TT as seen in a reflection of my car.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:09 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

darn your fast!
no just a little effects to give drama thats all... suggestions?
Old 03-07-2004, 03:44 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Super,

I totally missed the fact that you "colorized" my picture. Duh. I had to scroll up to my original, and then its very clear. Nice job. You never have to ask for my permission to doctor up a photo... I just wish I knew how to do it!

Thanks,

Quick Reply: casting some eyeballs on a TT today