Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 11:09 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post squeak

Hi ,
I have noticed a squeak coming from the right side of the car, whilst driving over potholes/bumps/ accelerating.
I am not sure but I think it might be coming from the window. It is a little louder with the window open.
The car in question is a '95 C2 coupe

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks Tito
Old 06-01-2001, 11:15 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Boy, that will be a tough one to identify. There are just so many possibilities.

Could be suspension parts, muffler strap, engine shroud, door hinges, you name it..... Sorry I can't be more specific.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:49 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tito,

Robin's right, but two possibilities that immediately come to mind (based on personal experience, unfortunately) are:

- Front anti-roll bar bushings: Porshce issued a Technical Service Bulletin about these, and now offers a new rubber bushing that should squeak less. I believe both 95 and 96 cars were affected. I thought it was interesting that they suggest Vaseline as the lubricant between the bushing and bar.

- The infamous front windshield squeak (http://www.haphazard.com/993kb/printdata.cgi?interior/squeeks). You might check the archives for offered solutions.

Another "solution" (if not a serious problem): Louder music or a louder muffler

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2001, 12:55 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

I've discovered a new squeak in my 96 coupe: the rubber/felt trim that runs around the perimeter of the black window frame on each door. If you stand outside the car, and push inward gently on the upper part of the window, I discovered that the entire black window frame will flex towards the center of the car. The felt lining of the seal rubs against the paint of the roof and A/B pillars.

I need to try waxing that paint, see if the squeak will go away. Am also open to other suggestions.
Old 06-02-2001, 01:10 AM
Tim 95 993 Pasadena
Track Day

I own a '95 C2 and had a squeak coming from the left
side of the car when driving over potholes, bumps and
choppy roads etc. It drove me crazy and was getting worse. It sounded like it was coming from the windshield. When I had the 30K service done on
the car, I mentioned it to my mechanic. He removed the
ashtray and loosened the bolt that is directly behind it.
This bolt holds the dash and it must of had some sort of
"preload" on it. When it was loosened the bottom of
the dash "sprung down" very slightly. When the bolt
was re-tightened the dash and the car was absolutely quiet! I don't know if you have the same problem...but it's
worth a look.
Old 06-02-2001, 05:05 PM
spr993
Rennlist Member

If none of the above help, determine if the squeek is there when the engine is cold or only once it's warm. If only once it's warm problem may be associated with the oil line that runs thru the right front fender. Oil line is held in place by clamps with a rubber sleave: loosen the clamps spray with a good lubricant (wurth silicone) and drive on - squeek may be gone. PS best lubricant for sway bar bushings is black CV grease - forget vaseline - it doesn't last
Old 06-02-2001, 09:04 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

Thankyou all for the suggestion. My baby is going in for a service on Monday, I wonder what they will make of it. Usually the responeses to my 'I can hear a squeak' are a lot of head/butt scratching by bemused technicians .. I will mention it to them anyway.
Regards Tito.
Old 06-02-2001, 09:21 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Try lifting up the black rubber windshield seal and spray lexol vinyl protectant in the void. Saturate it good. This may do the trick for you. I did this proceedure with the rubber rope sold by Schatz and it eliminated my windshied creaking over bumps, pot holes and transitions.

John
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Quick Reply: squeak