Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need brake rotors? Avoid Vertex!

Old 06-01-2001, 02:36 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Need brake rotors? Avoid Vertex!

I have 58K miles on my '95 993. With track use and being a heavy brake user, the OE manufacturer front rotors have lasted aobut 25K miles. Last rotors I used were the el-cheapo Vertex jobs. Well, you get what you pay for - at 8K miles on them replacement is needed!

Am looking into the cryogenically cooled units. Anybody used these - worth the money or not?

(Want to tell me to check the archives - go ahead! Am trying to get my feet wet on this new forum - biggest worry is much slower response. Then again, if John D. feels he can protect us from snake oil salesmen, guess it's worth it. I'll just have to try to join the 21st century.)
Old 06-01-2001, 07:25 AM
terrysteer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Ray,

I've used the Zimmerman units and feel that they are pretty good. They might be an option for you to look at.

cheers

terry
Old 06-01-2001, 10:05 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Question

Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<STRONG>I have 58K miles on my '95 993. With track use and being a heavy brake user, the OE manufacturer front rotors have lasted aobut 25K miles. Last rotors I used were the el-cheapo Vertex jobs. Well, you get what you pay for - at 8K miles on them replacement is needed!</STRONG>
Question for all on this thread: Are the rotors Vertex sells made by Zimmerman?

I'd be curious because a few aftermarket places sell the Zimmerman claiming they are OEM quality. Based on Ray's experience they may not be good for combined street/track use.

Tom
1995 993
Old 06-01-2001, 11:31 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

I think I concur with Ray - admittedly heavy track use, but my front rotors sourced from Vertex are now heavily cracked after about 8k miles. Disappointing. I'm going with Porsche rotors next, see below:

For info, I'm pretty sure the Vertex ones are Zimmerman - which I would classify as "Aftermarket" as opposed to "OEM" or "Factory". My work is related to the auto industry, so I know that even if made by the same manufacturer, Bosch, Zimmerman, whoever, Aftermarket parts are NOT necessarily subject to the same manufacturing tolerances as Factory or OEM parts. May explain the disappointing outcome of these rotors. For this reason I would tend toward OEM parts unless cost differential is huge or the part is no-critical.

However Suncoast Porsche sell Offical Porsche OEM front rotors for the 993 for about $95 for Rennlist members - which sounds good to me !

Also, as far as rotors go, I believe another difference between Aftermarket and Porsche OEM rotors is that Porsche supply the rotors with the hats painted in primer - so you don't get a rusted donut inside your wheel !

Enough of my rambles ....
Old 06-01-2001, 12:15 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Ray,
I was disgusted with Vertex's brake pads and as such have vowed to never buy from them again. They tod me they were factory and were nothing of the sort.

As for the rotors, I too need rotors soon and I think I am going to get them from Suncoast and have them drop shipped to the cryogenical freezing place so that I know my OEM rotors are treated and that way I will know exactly what I am getting.

Good luck and let us know what you do. BTW - I haven't found the archives for this new format yet.

E. J.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:52 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by E. J. - 95 Carrera - No. Va.:
<STRONG>Ray,
I was disgusted with Vertex's brake pads and as such have vowed to never buy from them again. They tod me they were factory and were nothing of the sort.

As for the rotors, I too need rotors soon and I think I am going to get them from Suncoast and have them drop shipped to the cryogenical freezing place so that I know my OEM rotors are treated and that way I will know exactly what I am getting.
</STRONG>
Hi E.J.,

Which brake pads are you referring to (name brand)?

Also about cryogenic rotors, I overheard some people talking about them at a track DE a while back. Their feeling was it does not do much, if anything, to make braking or rotors any better. Please note that this was last year & perhaps the cryogenic process is better today.

Tom
1995 993 (late model)
Old 06-01-2001, 07:12 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Tom T.:
<STRONG>

Hi E.J.,

Which brake pads are you referring to (name brand)?</STRONG>
Tom, This was before I knew about Rennlist and was a newbie so to speak. I trusted them that the Jurid's they sold me were the same as stock. Of course, now I know they aren't.
I have heard that Textar are the stock pads.

I am not sold on the cryogenic process yet. I wonder if anyone else here has tried them at the track? Greg, what about track wear compared to street wear?

Also, I heard that Zimmerman rotors are good - as good as oem. Not sure about that either though?

[ 01-06-2001: Message edited by: E. J. - 95 Carrera - No. Va. ]
Old 06-04-2001, 09:00 AM
George
6th Gear

Ray et al
I've used Vertex rotors and have not really had a problem other than the fronts starting to crack after a few days of heavy (both my wife and I) track use. The hats will rust, if no painted, however. They are apparently made by Zimmerman. While I would presume the OEM rotors are higher quality- they're also twice the price. I paid $50 (on sale) from Vertex last time around- would the $95 OEM versions last twice as long? I doubt it. As I recall, my original Porsche rotors cracked pretty fast too. I'm replacing my rotors about once a year (say every nine months) and think I did the same with the originals. That's about six events and every day use.

Also, I've never tried cryos but friends who have say they are definitely not worth it.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:17 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by E. J. - 95 Carrera - No. Va.:
[QB]

Tom, This was before I knew about Rennlist and was a newbie so to speak. I trusted them that the Jurid's they sold me were the same as stock. Of course, now I know they aren't.
I have heard that Textar are the stock pads.
E.J.,

That is strange. I was told by a few on this board that Jurid (and Textar) was an OEM brand. I bought a set for my 993 for street use and despite being alittle dusty they work fine. Anyone know for sure if Jurid pads are or are not OEM?

Tom

Old 06-04-2001, 11:51 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Lightbulb

Let me try and clarify .... remembering Porsche don't actually manufacture brake pads - someone else (Jurid, Textar) do this for them.

(1) Brake pads purchased from a Porsche Dealer, in a "Porsche" box, are always OEM quality.

(2) Brake pads purchased in a Jurid or Textar box, from whoever, MAY be OEM quality, or MAY NOT.

The reason is that Jurid / Textar may manufacture for Porsche OEM parts (1) above to a particular set of quality standards and maufacturing tolerances - however, parts manufactured for the Aftermarket, sold under a Jurid / Textar brand box, for a 911, may be manufactured to a different set of standards - or may not, depending upin the economics of the situation.

For example, in terms of rotors, even if manufactured by the same manufacturer who supplys Porsche with OEM parts, the Aftermarket parts may be manufactured with looser tolerances in terms of metal composition or more likely temperature tolerances etc. through the casting process.

Note *** MAY *** be different - no real way of knowing without knowing in detail the manufacturers process.

Which is why Jurid or Textar brake pads and Zimmerman rotors MAY be OEM quality, but MAY NOT.

Of course for us (the consumer) the above is a pain because it justifies the almost blanket mark-up of "Porsche" branded parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need brake rotors? Avoid Vertex!