Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erik,
I've had a lot of luck with this kind of screw/bolt extractor:

Mac Tools Extractor Set

They seem to work better than this longer kind:

Spiral Flute Screw Extractor Set

I have both kinds.

I've never used that Sears "Bolt-Off" mentioned above, but that looks like a good first choice if you can get your hands on that kind of tool.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:12 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's the pics

As you can see, the bolt is in the right rear wheel house. I need to remove the cover so I can get to the sparkplug that's behind it.

The only way to get to it is from the "top" of the bolt (directly from the right side of the car) No chance from either side unless I rip out the engine.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

brazing torch....put the white tip on the bolt head only till it starts to glow....then rap the bolt head a solid blow with a drift pin.....use vice grips on the bolt head and wiggle it till its loose.....had to do this many times for the DIYers
Old 02-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mike_A
brazing torch....put the white tip on the bolt head only till it starts to glow....then rap the bolt head a solid blow with a drift pin.....use vice grips on the bolt head and wiggle it till its loose.....had to do this many times for the DIYers
Followed your link from the 944 board.
I second this solution.
If vise grips dont work, use a blunt chisel and hammer it counterclock wise for 1/2 turn, then any plyer will do.
Replace the bolts with stainless A2 quality (readily available in Sweden) to prevent in future.
TakeCare
Old 02-25-2004, 12:37 PM
993tt
Racer

use vice grips on the bolt head and wiggle it till its loose.....
Will probably work but there's no room for vice grips. Look at the pics above.

/Erik
Old 02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
993tt
Racer

The engine head are in aluminum, right!? Won't the aluminum melt if the bolt is red hot?

/E
Old 02-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Lizard928
Nordschleife Master

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

taking a look at that photo, your only option is a dremel and the put a line through it and take a large flat head screw driver in there, or an impact screwdriver,

you also may need to remove some things to give youself more room, ie remove the air line that supplies the turbo with air,

as I said in your cross post vice grips are not something I recommend as they are useless.

you way get away with JB welding a allen key in there as well
Old 02-25-2004, 03:04 PM
993tt
Racer

Originally posted by Lizard931
you also may need to remove some things to give youself more room, ie remove the air line that supplies the turbo with air,

as I said in your cross post vice grips are not something I recommend as they are useless.

you way get away with JB welding a allen key in there as well
I removed the turbo intake hose after the pics was taken and it made it better but not much. I put an allen key there with "chemical metal" Don't know if it's the same as JB welding. Going to let it sit over the night and try again tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Erik,

Why not use a long shank, left hand extractor drill bit? It looks like you can get in this area with a hand drill and the extractor bit will back out the socket head cap screw as you drill into it. That way you can attack the SHCS from the top and use the torque of the drill to get it out. An industrial supply house should stock these bits. I've used these many times in tight quarters with my Makita battery operated drill. They work like magic.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:10 PM
993tt
Racer

Originally posted by Lizard931
taking a look at that photo, your only option is a dremel and the put a line through it and take a large flat head screw driver in there, or an impact screwdriver
The problem with dremel is that I probably need a disc with 4" diameter if I'm going to make a straight cut. If it's smaller I will have to tilt the maching to be able to reach it. It's things in the way all around except if I hold it vertically and then this cover is in the way (you can see it right below the bolt in the lower pic. So I can't get so close with the dremel.

/E
Old 02-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see from your photos that while you can get to the bolt you have very little room to manipulate your tool once you're there.

I think you have room to get a short 3/8" drive bolt extractor in there even if you have to turn it with a wrench and not a rachet. There's the kind that go inside the head and the kind that go around the outside of the head. They come in an assortment of sizes. Photos below show the two types.

Old 02-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Flott Leben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know, from an engineering standpoint, why Porsche used allen head bolts so extensively on our engines? Was it because they could be torqued higher, could fit flush with the surface (on some of them), etc? They sure can be a pain sometimes to get off when striped. Just interested.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Flott Leben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just one word of caution about welding or gluing the allen key into the bolt head - make sure you have clearance to rotate the key 360 degrees after the bolt starts to move or you will get VERY frustrated very quickly!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
993tt
Racer

Originally posted by Ron
I see from your photos that while you can get to the bolt you have very little room to manipulate your tool once you're there.

I think you have room to get a short 3/8" drive bolt extractor in there even if you have to turn it with a wrench and not a rachet. There's the kind that go inside the head and the kind that go around the outside of the head. They come in an assortment of sizes. Photos below show the two types.
I'd love to get hold of those two beauties! Have to go hunting tomorrow

/E
Old 02-25-2004, 05:56 PM
993tt
Racer

Originally posted by Flott Leben
Just one word of caution about welding or gluing the allen key into the bolt head - make sure you have clearance to rotate the key 360 degrees after the bolt starts to move or you will get VERY frustrated very quickly!
I'm actually not using an allen key but an 3/8" thingy... Don't know the english names of it though

/E

Quick Reply: Problem with allen bolt!