993 Forum 1995-1998

brake cooling duct/hoses - pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 06:55 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post brake cooling duct/hoses - pictures?

I'd like to stave off some of the brake overheating I've been experiencing - pretty spongy pedal at the end of the day. Haven't flown off the track or anything exciting like that, so would prefer to not go to the expense and weight of big reds.

I know Greg, and likely some others, have cobbled together do-it-yourself cooling ducts for their 993s. Does anyone have any photos of how they managed that I could crib off of?

Greg, I found a post in the archives where you were going to have some sort of backing plate or something made so you could direct air into the hub - did that ever get done, do you have molds where you could make another set?

thanks all,

RNH

Oh, FWIW I'm not really focused on the front bumper replacement bits (unless that's what's really needed to feed the hose to the rotors). Some unsexy hose under the car to drop the temps is all I'm really thinking of.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:08 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robert,
Is this what you are looking for?

Tom
'95 993

<a href="http://www.pcasd.org/tech/tech.shtml" target="_blank">964-993 Brake Cooling Duct Upgrade</a>
Old 05-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Robert,
No progress on the brake cooling ducts. My mechanic has been swamped with race car stuff so it is on the back burner. I just thought of something though: I did paddock near a guy from New York that had a new-to-him 993 race car at Road Atlanta. I helped him change a tire and I noticed he had the type of brake duct cooler I was wanting. His car was prepped by Peter Dawe so it might be worth a call to those guys. I think he advertises in Pano.
What I do will certainly help but it is not 100%. Another thing you can do before you get these ducts is just bleed your front calipers half way through the day. Doesn't take 20 min. to do so.

I don't have any photos but I will try to explain. take your front fender liner out. Take a length of 2 1/2 inch hose and run it to an opening between the oil cooler and the body to a front air entrance. Trim around the fender liner and re install. run the hose to the front a-arm in front of the factory scoops (you still have those, right?) and trim to size. Attach with zip ties.
If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Greg
Old 05-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Robert & Greg:

I had a brake cooling kit installed on my 993 RSCS that was purchased from Kelly Moss. It was very trick and composed of carbon fiber parts. Each side has 4 parts.

1. Carbon fiber disk that attaches to the front wheel hubs
2. Large flexible rubber hose 4”-6” in diameter
3. Carbon fiber air bypass that is mounted to the inside the oil cooler/AC condenser
4. Carbon fiber insert to replace fog light allowing more air to enter oil/brake cooling area.

The part is a Porsche Motorsport part and cost $1700.00 three years ago. If you are interested, call Pheobe at Motorsport (714) 546-6939 or Kelly Moss. I do not have the part numbers, but would be willing to research this if you are interested. They worked very well, however, it severely limits the amount you can turn the steering wheel. This was not a problem on the track, but made maneuvering in the paddock quite a challenge and I always had to leave a note on the steering wheel whenever the car was in the shop. I would not recommend this modification to a car that is driven on the street.

Hank

PS. Once we installed the Twin Turbo rotors and calipers, the fading problem disappeared completely. With that in mind, I would rather upgrade to the $2000 TT brakes and forget about the cooling kit.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:04 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the info Hank. I had heard there was kit from PMNA but didn't know the cost or if it would fit a 993.
My mechanic was going to try and have a local composite guy do basically the same thing. He has the parts on loan from a GT2.

I think the tip Tom posted the link to would be a smart thing to try first. I'll probably try that also and see if I can feel any difference.

If he gets the ducting done I will let you guys know and see if you are interested.
Greg
Old 05-04-2002, 10:46 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I wonder if you can just buy the disk part that attaches to the hubs - Ill worry about the hoses myself? THey don't need to be carbon either. Hell I guess if I spent some time, I could get some made for me???

E. J.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a lot of people who can cobble something together that will work for some period of time with some degree of effectiveness. The parts, however, to make a 993 very fast and very reliable have been available for about seven years now through Motorsport. The 993 RSRs and GT2s were some of the most highly developed street car derived racers in recent Porsche history. As such, both parts and knowledge are readily available from places like Motorsport, Kelly Moss, G&W and many others.

I understand that there is a relatively large price tag associated with most things that come from Motorsport, but I can also tell you that in the eleven races and 60+ DEs that I did in my modified 993 there was never a component failure that caused a DNF/DNS or early retirement.

I think it’s great to create something that works for your car on your own and I realize that we are only talking about brake cooling in this thread, but you wouldn’t believe the parts that come off and the fluids that come out of some GT class cars during a race. I think there are at least two things to consider when bolting stuff onto your track/race car. How safe is it from a personal point of view? Not trying to by dramatic, but at 150 MPH with a wall 100 yards away, I don’t want to wonder about any of the parts on my car. Secondly, how safe is the part for the other people on the track?

I believe that if you are going to involve yourself in something inherently risky, that you should have the best equipment you can afford to minimize the odds of something bad happening.

Hank
Old 05-04-2002, 12:16 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Hank Cohn:
<strong> but you wouldn’t believe the parts that come off and the fluids that come out of some GT class cars during a race. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hank,
I guess we got your hot button, right?
For the most part I agree 100% with you. When MOST guys try to do stuff better and cheaper than Porsche they usually fail, with potentially devastating results. That is why I lost so much track time at Sebring (two cars caught on fire in two sessions). I refer to some of these cars as back yard hobbies, and when you need a new part, they just make one or find one out of thier last totalled race car. They have 500hp one race wonder engines though.

But I do believe that there are parts that you can get elsewhere besides the Porsche parts counter that can work as well for significantly less money. I am not talking about critical suspension or safety pieces. For example: I needed a second oil cooler and priced a few options. I ended up with the Motorsport oil cooler ~$400 and lines ~$300. But I couldn't bring my self to pay $400 for the piece of sheet metal it mounted on, so we took the one off the stock side and had a fabricator duplicate it using the AC condensor mount as a base, for less than $75. Did I compromise performance or safety, I don't think so, originality, yes but that wasn't my goal.

In all my DE's and races in a 993 I only had one DNF so to speak. I had a bad hydraulic lifter, no biggee. I think part of that speaks to how durable these cars are right out of the factory.

The guy that is going to reproduce these items did a lot of race parts for the ROhr GT2 and GT1 cars, he has lots of experience replicating pieces since those guys seemed to go through lots of expensive parts.

Greg
Old 05-04-2002, 03:11 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Hey Robert,

I have a front brake cooling kit on my car.
I don't have any pics but the setup was pretty simple.
Underneath the car, I had a shop install two airscoops that point forward. The airsccops are connected to hoses that are directed onto the inside of the wheel, real close to the rotor.

It's a pretty simple install. I had a similiar setup on my Audi S4. I had pics posted last week, I am trying to find them.
They help a lot and you can't see them.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: brake cooling duct/hoses - pictures?