Sponsored by:

Sub belt attachment point?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:38 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sub belt attachment point?

I want to drill in some eye bolts to attach my sub belts to. However, I have gotten many different opinions on where to mount them. One person says behind the chest line, one says with the chest line, one says directly underneath where it would come through the seat and finally one says to mount it 1.5-3 inches behind where it comes through the seat. Which one is the safest? I will be using stock seats for a period of time before I get race shells. I want to do this right the first time so I do not have to drill multiple holes. Also if anyone has an opinion on where to mount the inside lap belt on the tunnel I would appreciate that too. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:04 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted my sub belts to the same mounts as for the racing lap belts, the tunnel side being a tunnel side mount from Brey Krause that attaches to the seat rail in the same place that the stock buckle mounts. On the door side, it's an eye bolt that replaced the stock lap belt mount bolt.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Get in touch with you PCA Racing person. There has got to be somebody in PCA in SC...down to ATL that can recommend the safest installation point.

I took my car to a Porsche Owners Club Tech station and had them install the belts. I didn't want to cut in corners here, nor take action on some possibly flawed advice.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin has some good advice...

The sub belts need to be mounted at a certain angle. They are NOT designed to hold you in the seat ( as the lap and shoulder belts are.. ) TroyN's solution is not really optimal, since they are too mounted too far back.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:50 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I was told by a reputable safety equipment dealer that Troy's solution is ok for stock seats. I think then that the sub belts sit on the seat, then you sit on them and pull up the main latch that you'll find between your legs.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

www.autometricsmotorsports.com
Old 02-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Eric86Red911
I was told by a reputable safety equipment dealer that Troy's solution is ok for stock seats. I think then that the sub belts sit on the seat, then you sit on them and pull up the main latch that you'll find between your legs.
I guess it's all a matter of how safe you really want to be.

So in TroyN's solution, the sub belts are mounted way too far back, which means that in a crash, the sub belts will be holding you in, which means pressure against your inner thighs, which is right near a major artery! YIKES...

Also, I don't see what sport seats have to do with it.. Any sub belt should be mounted in a seat with the appropriate sub belt hole.. If you are using stock sport seats and a sub belt, then that's a problem.

But I guess with all safety equipment, you are just playing the odds. Some people are more comfortable with different odds than others. Heck, most of the time, we'd be fine driving without seat belts at all anyways!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:29 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm certainly not suprised that some may consider this mounting method suboptimal (BTW, I'm not saying it's good, bad, or otherwise). One thing I've learned is that if the topic is "stock seats" and "harness" then there will be strong disagreement no matter what the exact question is...
Old 02-23-2004, 03:21 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the opinion on using the mounting points I described, but routing the subs under the seat to route out in front of the seat, vs. sitting on them?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:55 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to throw another opinion in, some have put a bar between the 2 front mounting points on the seat, and looped the sub (anti-sub, really) belt around that for stock seats.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:25 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Just to throw another opinion in, some have put a bar between the 2 front mounting points on the seat, and looped the sub (anti-sub, really) belt around that for stock seats.
Any more opinions on this option?
I am thinking about buying a bar that does just this, I was told it came from a GT-3.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are mounted just in front of the ECU / amplifier, drilled in the floor.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Any more opinions on this option?
I am thinking about buying a bar that does just this, I was told it came from a GT-3.

That's what I did
Old 01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

TrackJunke,

Is this for club racing or driver's ed? For driver's ed, you can mount them almost anyway you want, but I would caution you to mount them in line with the manufacturer's recommendation. I believe most manufacturers recommend that the angle of the subs be less than 20 degrees forward or backward from where the belts go through the sub belt holes in the seat.

I originally mounted them at the front of the rear foot well and am planning on moving them to be within the 20 degree recommendation. I recently posted a picture of how I'm going to do the mounting... https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/177471-club-racing-legal-sub-mounting-location-993-a.html

I haven't done it yet, but have run it by some other club racers and my shop (who also club race) and have gotten supporting comments about mounting them correctly. Yes, I will have an extra set of holes, but my shop will weld those shut for me at some point in the future.

Good luck with your decision.

-Skip
Old 01-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pic somewhere of the factory RS setup.

Had my yearly worldwide vaccinations today and now have a bad reaction... I am sick.

Get the pic tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Sub belt attachment point?