Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019 | 02:11 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
I would love to have a 993 RS replica. No way I would pay for a real 993rs. Anyone know of any out there? Don't know if I have the patience or know how to build one.
Id say, in order to do the replica right... you would need to budget around 170-200k Including the car. Send your money my way... I’ll have it built for you. :-)
Old 09-17-2019 | 02:37 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erikerik
Id say, in order to do the replica right... you would need to budget around 170-200k Including the car. Send your money my way... I’ll have it built for you. :-)
That sounds about right. Half-price of a real deal that hasn't been abused.

I would love to have a 993 RS replica. No way I would pay for a real 993rs. Anyone know of any out there? Don't know if I have the patience or know how to build one.
I might be looking at moving mine in the near future. It is practically a 1:1 replica done with period-correct factory parts unless I found better aftermarket components...

View this post on Instagram

Lots more pics on insta: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/993projectrs/

If you're interested let me know via PM.
Old 09-17-2019 | 02:49 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

^ilko yours is the best replica I’ve seen. You had me fooled when I saw it at PECLA. Well done, especially with the seats. Sure you want to sell that beauty?
Old 09-17-2019 | 03:02 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Thank you Erik, my OCD kicked into high gear when I was building this car. I have my eye on something else and may need to make room for it... Will probably regret selling it if I do, many of the parts I was able to source out are NLA, not just the seats, so it would be very difficult for me to build another one like it down the road...
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:22 AM
tstafford
Race Car

I came across this one. Although not my cup of tea, it looks pretty impressive:
https://speedartmotorsports.com/coll...rs-club-sport/
Old 09-17-2019 | 09:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Originally Posted by ilko
That sounds about right. Half-price of a real deal that hasn't been abused.I might be looking at moving mine in the near future. It is practically a 1:1 replica done with period-correct factory parts unless I found better aftermarket components...

View this post on Instagram

Amazing car....saw it last year in CT. Attention to detail goes beyond the typical replica. Hard to call it a replica.
Old 09-17-2019 | 11:10 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

I might be looking at moving mine in the near future. It is practically a 1:1 replica done with period-correct factory parts unless I found better aftermarket components...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbl87caFIyl/

OP,

if your looking for an RS look this way instead, Ilko's car is work of art.

Ilko,

I remember when you started your journey searching for a donor car. I can't believe you'd really let it go but if somethings got your eye it must be spectacular or very different.
Old 09-17-2019 | 12:41 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
Folks,

I'm loving my C4S and it's not going anywhere. I'm contemplating adding an RS to the mix. What I love about my 993 is the combination of driving experience, nostalgia and awesome looks. I have no major complaints about the car although I think the gearing could be better and some more revs would be nice.

Does it seem crazy/ridiculous to buy an RS for the purpose of a few local drives each week, some road trips and maybe occasional events? I guess specifically will the RS be enough different/more special to the C4S to make it feel exceptional for those purposes? Although I love Porsche, I'm not a Porsche historian, concurs guy, collector, etc. I like Porsche because of the way the cars just do what they are supposed to do. Note: I've kind of soured on the newer GT cars (my GT3 would go to make space) because they are just too much to drive on the road. They're awesome on the track but too much for spirited driving (IMO).

So two questions I guess:
- Am I setting myself up for a really expensive disappointment?
- By chance does anyone know this car? (https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/1996-porsche-9115974/)

All comments welcomed - I have thick skin.

Thanks.
Tim
No disappointment. I find the 993RS just a bit softer and less engaging than 964RS. But the Blue car looks fantastic. Bruce has good stuff. And if you buy it and hate it please contact me.
Old 09-17-2019 | 02:27 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Thank you Erik, my OCD kicked into high gear when I was building this car. I have my eye on something else and may need to make room for it... Will probably regret selling it if I do, many of the parts I was able to source out are NLA, not just the seats, so it would be very difficult for me to build another one like it down the road...
I'd hate to know you parted ways with your incredible RS (truly a labor of love), but you certainly have me intrigued over what it might be you would consider in its place!
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:55 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
I'd hate to know you parted ways with your incredible RS (truly a labor of love), but you certainly have me intrigued over what it might be you would consider in its place!
My guess is that Ilko will be pledging some of his car love to an Italian?
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:03 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

I came across this one. Although not my cup of tea, it looks pretty impressive:
https://speedartmotorsports.com/coll...rs-club-sport/

It’s a lotta ask for the car. It’s very nicely done from the research I’ve gained, but you’re better buying a project than that. Or get the real deal of a Clubby and import. Classic Driver has a bunch.

If you search for the fiche, it will break down every part needed to gain that RS minus vin. You do the motor as well and essentially you have a new refreshed car. That is HUGE. Just don’t sell it after 5yrs of ownership though.
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:20 PM
95_993
Race Car

Originally Posted by chsu74
My guess is that Ilko will be pledging some of his car love to an Italian?
Say it isn't so....
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:32 PM
alps
Advanced

Sufficiently scared off of that car. But still encouraged by the hunt and the idea of owning an RS.

One more is available at good-guy dealer Fresno. Inquiring about the specifics on that one. Hopefully better results but either way a fun learning experience. Would be great to own one!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ar-silver.html

I went from a 993 C4S to an RS a number of years ago and to me they were very different cars for different purposes. The C4S was for touring, comfortable and a joy to drive but felt rather heavy and not always sharp. The first time I drove an RS, I was astounded by the difference. The car felt like a racer and the handling was precise and far superior. I found this changed how I used the cars. With the RS, usage shifted to track days, mountain driving and short fast trips on special roads. No more golf clubs and smart clothes. I ended up buying a 991 Cabriolet for touring.

I recently sold my RS as it was being used less and less (mainly the odd track day) and my focus shifted to more touring. Do I miss it? Yes and no. I probably owned it during the best period when I could really use it without suffering serious negative consequences if proceeding a tick over the limits. I miss those relatively carefree motoring days. But it was time to move on and I am glad to have enjoyed 14 years of good times with the car.

Just a note on prices as I followed them closely and continue to do so. I would say the vast majority of the cars on the market are listed at dreamer prices. The owners are quite happy not to sell them as they believe they will continue to appreciate anyway. There are many cars listed that have been on the market for 1 to 2 years. Cars listed at realistic prices, which I would say are prices around 20% to 30% lower move relatively quickly.

If you love air cooled Porsches, the 993RS was the pinnacle and is definitely worth owning.
The following 3 users liked this post by alps:
kreeshp (09-17-2019), Nendo (04-23-2020), tstafford (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019 | 08:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Without doubt, Ilko's RS Replica is exceedingly well done.
Anyone would be stoked to own it.

but but but

?

Old 09-17-2019 | 09:00 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Actually that’s more of a long term goal. There’s something else I potentially have in mind for the near future...

And I appreciate the compliments guys. Even experienced mechanics who work on these cars and dealers who earn a living buying and selling them couldn’t tell it apart from the real deal.

Quick Reply: RS Question