Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is Amsoil P.I. (cleaner) okay to use to help deal with pinging problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Is Amsoil P.I. (cleaner) okay to use to help deal with pinging problems?

After reading Matt Davies' thread on pinging, I went out to buy some Chevron Techron, but the parts store only had one bottle. Some other people have told me that Amsoil P.I. is a stronger, better concentrate, so I bought a bottle. (BTW, this is for my Sequoia that has had some pinging problems while trailering with a load and during part throttle situations. No issues with the 993.)

Is this stuff okay to use in engines? Will the extra concentrate hurt seals or lubrication? I know Techron gets top billing here, but I thought I would see if anyone has had any luck with different cleaners such as this.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 02-20-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Mark:

I've not used that product (Amsoil P.I.) but we use either Techron or LubroMoly Jectron & Ventil Sauber and both do the job very thoroughly with the LubroMoly stuff a bit faster.

Another option is MotorVac which is done at a shop with that machine. The car's fuel injection system gets hooked to this device and runs for 15-20 minutes on a special fuel that loosens and dissolves the carbon buildup inside the combustion chambers, pistons, and valves. Works GREAT.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Steve,

As always, thanks for the words of wisdom. I was hoping you had some experience with the Amsoil stuff. Lots of racers swear by their oil (I think tech advisor Jeff Curtis distributes it, too), but their advertising generally seems a bit grassroots to me, and, as a typical 'Merican consumer doofus, the marketing affects my perception of the product.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,

Your Sequoia is new, isn't it? Are you saying that the 4rnr can pull the trailer without pinging but not the Sequoia? It's not requiring a higher grade of fuel is it? Mmmmm I'm curious
Old 02-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hi, Mike,

I had to start using mid grade gas in the 4Runner after some slight pinging issues. I never heard it when towing.

The Sequoia, which I bought used, was on a regular grade diet. I have a feeling the pinging is due to some bad fuel or seasonal fuel since the problems started when I was down in Florida. In over 900 miles of driving down to FLA, I did not hear a peep from the engine.

Regardless, I'm going to force the Sequoia to belly up to the bar for some weekly hits of Techron shooters.

Quick Reply: Is Amsoil P.I. (cleaner) okay to use to help deal with pinging problems?