non-tip tip!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:35 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default non-tip tip!

Got a '95 993 with tip.

Recently the gearlever has stuck such that it would not go into Park - hence I could not take out the key - and then in Park so I couldn't get into gear! The central button appeared to be stuck in the "down" position and the surrounding gear-stick was able to move up and down by about 1/2". By fiddling around all went back to normal - eventually.

Before I start taking things apart has anyone had this problem, know what is happening here and hence the solution?

PJC
Old 02-19-2004, 02:50 AM
winsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if the situation is the same but it happens to me when the brake switch , the one operate the shift lock and brake light, was broken. I could not shift into gear and the brake light was off at all time.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Schwabe
Intermediate

Hi,
same to me. You will find the switch under the wooden board, behind the break-pedal. You have to remove the board get access to the switch. It happens a long time ago, so I hope I remember correctly.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:12 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PJC, this happened to me when I took my gearlever off to be re-covered. It appeared as though there might have been an o-ring or small rubber lip inside the lever. I have not been able to rectify this situation but I may just super glue it in place. I think a few drops might just solve the problem yet still allow me to remove it (with force) in the future.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:23 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Yeh, of course to move out of Park the brake pedal has to be depressed so I guess there is some form of switch somewhere around the pedal - don't think this is my problem but thanks anyway, good useful infomation to file away. I think my problem could be the same, or similar to Joel's - now I have an idea of what it may be I can start looking with intent.

Thanks for the "tips".

PJC
Old 02-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

PJC, I had the identical problem in my car shortly after I purchased it used a year ago. I could barely finish my explanation of the problem before the dealer service writer said "I'm 90% sure what it is, we can probably fix it while you wait." They did, and it has never happened since. Just looked up the receipt and it indeed says "Check shift interlock--Adjust brake light switch."

HTH
Old 02-19-2004, 10:19 PM
RRLOwen
Instructor

Now that I have all of you Tip owners together, I have a question about shift rates.

This is a new- to- me car. I am noticing that the shift from 1st to 2nd is slower than the other shifts. Going from 1st, there seems to be a slight delay and then a short bit of over-reving before it shifts.

Is this anyone else's experience?

maybe I haven't got the hang of this yet!!!

ROwen
Old 02-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Bob D.
Racer

ROwen, what you describe is extremely "tip"ical behavior (sorry couldn't resist). There are *many* posts about this in the archives. Here is a good one.

Bottom line is don't worry about it, and also know that over time you will develop your own techniques for driving the tiptronic and if you put a little effort into it you will be amazed at how good this trans can be.

Best wishes for lots of fun with your new toy

Old 02-20-2004, 12:44 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

ROwen, what you describe seems normal. As Bob D. says there are a few posts dealing with the tip "lag", I think all of the 993 tips have it. What is interesting is to drive the car to redline while going through the gears, the car definately shifts harder.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:05 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Bob,

Thanks for the information - just received a 993 CD workshop manual, looked up the Tip system and sure thing - they mention that the gearlever shroud should be "locked" in place by twisting it - it locks into a recess on the shaft. Sounds like the same sort of thing.

PJC
Old 02-20-2004, 10:13 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

PJC, could you elaborate ? Do you screw the lever on ?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:30 AM
RRLOwen
Instructor

Further experimentation today with the tip. I'm really starting to like it.

I don't look for the clutch with my left foot anymore.

I discovered that even in manual mode, the tranny will shift into second by itself at just a bit over 6000 RPM. If you want the quickest shift, this is the way to get. It doesn't work from 2nd to 3rd, though - you have to shift. Yes, you can get some very spirited driving with these tips.

Re: the lag into second under less aggressive driving, that small pause with the gas really helps.

The best thing for me was to have the response from the board confirming that all is well. I was getting pretty careful, worrying that I had a transmission problem.

Thanks to all.

ROwen
Old 02-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RRLOwen -

If these transmissions were marginal or flakey - there would be threads galore detailing every nuance of angst.

The fact of the matter is tips are very stout. I have heard of a disabled (hardly) PCA Club Racer in New Mexico who campaigns a tip.

We don't have as many gears to choose from, the 0 - 60 times are marginally slower - so big hairy deal.

The knees of my bride and myself are happier and I don't worry about clutch replacement expenses. Keep the fluid changed annually, drive it like it was meant to be driven and enjoy it.

Tippers of the world Unite!

Howard
98 C2 Cab Tip Glacier White / Black top
Old 02-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Howard is right on the money, and his comments remind me that it is time for my annual "It is OK to Like Your Tiptronic Transmission" post.

Check any of these boards or talk to mechanics and you will find almost all the news on Tips is good. Bruce Anderson has written twice in the last couple of years that Porsche has told him that the 4-speed Tiptronic (as in our cars) is the most reliable transmission, with fewest reported problems, of any Porsche trans.

To me the key is ALWAYS to shift it manually unless you are stuck in a traffic jam, juggling a cell phone, etc. It is lots more fun than leaving it in "D." For those who want or need to leave it in "D," however, get a copy of Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook. He has an informative section on the Tiptronic, in which he gives you tricks on how to get it to downshift two gears at once, select the most aggressive of the 5 program maps, etc.

Enjoy your Tiptronic, IME it is a versatile and enjoyable option on the 993!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:51 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Bob,

"Juggling a cell phone" is now out in the UK - a fine is automatic (no pun intended!) only hands free is acceptable.

PJC

Quick Reply: non-tip tip!