Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Silver Crest Center Cap Exist?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:34 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OEM Silver Crest Center Cap Exist?

My car came with these center caps in a set of RH 3.6 3 piece wheels:

They are aluminum, have silver crests and no removal tool holes, and appear to be very high quality as if they're genuine Porsche. Unfortunatley one fell off my work bench and dinged the edge as can be seen in the pic.

I've looked high and low and cannot find another cap like these to replace it. Anyone know if Porsche ever offered an aluminum silver cap with silver crest or are these very nice custom creations?

If I can't replace it I can attempt to get the crest out and refinish it. I presume the OEM color for the caps is the same as the wheels, DIAMANTSILBER MET 61M?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 206 Posts

Interesting question and frankly, I don't know. What I found strange is my wheels are the colored crests and the key crest is silver/pewter. Makes no sense that the wheel crests and the the key crests lack consistency.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Interesting question and frankly, I don't know. What I found strange is my wheels are the colored crests and the key crest is silver/pewter. Makes no sense that the wheel crests and the the key crests lack consistency.
Hope you're not serious, what the heck does one have to do with the other?

To the OP, those are the same center caps the I have on my 96 C4. Mine are on Cup II's and are on the options list on the window sticker so I am assuming they are original. I had to gently bend out the retention rings at the retention points with pliers because they were getting loose.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Oops, never mind, my crests are somewhat faded but gold.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:01 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Hope you're not serious, what the heck does one have to do with the other?

To the OP, those are the same center caps the I have on my 96 C4. Mine are on Cup II's and are on the options list on the window sticker so I am assuming they are original. I had to gently bend out the retention rings at the retention points with pliers because they were getting loose.
Brewmeister,
Of course I'm serious. Why wouldn't I be??
And to the OP and Brewmiester, .my car is a '95 C4, purchased new. I am the original owner. My build sheet and Certificate of Authenticity show my crests as being optional and as I had written in my previous post, are colored. It makes no sense that the key crest is silver/pewter (original to my car) and the wheel crests, also optional on my car, are colored. They lack consistency! What is so hard to understand? Please explain.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Oops, never mind, my crests are somewhat faded but gold.
Glad you have the right color crests on your car. Not a problem.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:43 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Brewmeister,
And to the OP and Brewmiester, .my car is a '95 C4, purchased new. I am the original owner. My build sheet and Certificate of Authenticity show my crests as being optional and as I had written in my previous post, are colored. It makes no sense that the key crest is silver/pewter (original to my car) and the wheel crests, also optional on my car, are colored. They lack consistency! What is so hard to understand? Please explain.
The non-optional crests were just black outline of the crest which would have matched the pewter.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 227 Likes on 185 Posts

Those caps are Genuine Porsche offered on late 964 and early 993 production, then replaced with plastic versions.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The non-optional crests were just black outline of the crest which would have matched the pewter.
BINGO.......colored crests were an option that you had to pay for............key crests were pewter to match the standard caps............in today's world they would have made a colored crest as as option to pay for on the keys.........and two watches with appropriate crests.............
Old 07-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
BINGO.......colored crests were an option that you had to pay for............key crests were pewter to match the standard caps............in today's world they would have made a colored crest as as option to pay for on the keys.........and two watches with appropriate crests.............
So original to the car were pewter silver key crests as were silver wheel crests?
And optional to our cars were the colored wheel crests?
If true, I may put my original silver/pewter key heads with working lights in my drawer and use my recently purchased colored key heads also with working lights on my key fobs to match my colored wheel crests.
Now if we could only get pp000830 to care about his car! (Andy claims he washes his car at best, annually) I really think that Andy is putting us on.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I did some digging through the 964 and 993 PETS, and googled every center cap part number in them trying to find a match. My car is infact a 1994 build so the suggestion that they're late 964/early 993 caps is a good one.

The closest appearing cap is actually an exclusive option, EXC96403800:

The crest however is traditional gold. If mine have faded then they've done so perfectly as they look to be chrome with no traces of gold to be found.

Did Ralph Boothe or Bumper Plugs offer silver center cap crests back before Porsche threatened legal action? Kinda thinking someone swapped the crests somewhere along the line as I cant find colored crests in silver/chrome on any factory optioned cap.

If I'm not mistaking, the silver hood crests out there are all refinished as Porsche never sold an OEM chromed crest. Maybe these are similar refinishes?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

I have not pulled mine off to look at the backs, but those look like the center caps on my 94 build 993. Well, on mine, the red is faded more.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Brewmeister,

All 993 key crests where pewter when the cars where new!
Old 07-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
Thanks for the replies.

I did some digging through the 964 and 993 PETS, and googled every center cap part number in them trying to find a match. My car is infact a 1994 build so the suggestion that they're late 964/early 993 caps is a good one.

The closest appearing cap is actually an exclusive option, EXC96403800:

The crest however is traditional gold. If mine have faded then they've done so perfectly as they look to be chrome with no traces of gold to be found.

Did Ralph Boothe or Bumper Plugs offer silver center cap crests back before Porsche threatened legal action? Kinda thinking someone swapped the crests somewhere along the line as I cant find colored crests in silver/chrome on any factory optioned cap.

If I'm not mistaking, the silver hood crests out there are all refinished as Porsche never sold an OEM chromed crest. Maybe these are similar refinishes?

Your crests are just faded gold...they are white gold now, not silver!
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 574 Likes on 386 Posts

I am so glad my colored crest fell off my key. Now I no longer worry.

Quick Reply: OEM Silver Crest Center Cap Exist?