Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting challenged on a daily basis.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Someone once said when all you make are hammers, everything starts to look like a nail. If you drive around thinking you're being challenged, then you are. If you have zero f*cks to give about that sorta thing, then you're not.

I'm sure when I was young, my ego could spur me to such feelings but now that I'm a little older, it takes far more than a stranger in a faster car to raise my level.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:07 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think I ever got challenged to race in the 6+ years I owned my 993. In the 996TT I've owned for a year now however, it's a whole different story. Now I get challenged all the time, especially when I'm on the I5 in WA.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

Challenged only at speed with the 993, not from stoplights so much over 20 years of ownership............the Turbo S gets challenges daily, but they really aren't a challenge so to speak as nothing takes it and I don't urge it on......that car is scary fast in sport and sport mode and more involving than given credit for by the GT guys......
Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

A few years back when I lived in San Jose, as I pull up to a stop light next to this low-rider who had the bass on full thumping away, the guy who's probably 300+ with full on tats looks over, pulls down his shades then gives me a big thumbs up and I reciprocate with the obligatory head nod. That's been more representative of my experience over 16 yrs of ownership that sometimes you get appreciation from unlikely places and that people can't believe the car is 20+ years old.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdub
Andy your right on but you left out while texting.
Yes
Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

The 993 gets thumbs ups and “nice car” comments all the time. No one tries to race it - anyone with a car with more than 200 hp knows it’s an antique and they don’t want to bother kicking my ***. Which they certainly would.

The 997 is another issue.....
Old 06-19-2019, 06:25 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
If you drive around thinking you're being challenged, then you are. If you have zero f*cks to give about that sorta thing, then you're not.
Very well said!!
Old 06-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts

I had a guy the other day when I passed him at WOT he pulled up to me at the light and said "I can always hear my Stereo Blasting but when you flew by I couldn't hear a damn thing!" WOW!" "Can you pull out hard so I can video you taking off!" That car is insane!!! Hilarious!!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Someone once said when all you make are hammers, everything starts to look like a nail. If you drive around thinking you're being challenged, then you are. If you have zero f*cks to give about that sorta thing, then you're not.

I'm sure when I was young, my ego could spur me to such feelings but now that I'm a little older, it takes far more than a stranger in a faster car to raise my level.
Total bollocks.

If you arrive (like me) in a slammed triple black 993 with Clubsport Aero running Fister 3's and a decat then you get attention. Looks and sounds like it's from Hell. Even on the school run driving slowly.

All to do with the car and nothing to do with the driver. Same driver has been driving fast cars all his life and trust me people challenge this particular car all the time.

Now, if you are in a sky blue Targa with 16's and the SUV standard height, that's a different story
Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Total bollocks.

If you arrive (like me) in a slammed triple black 993 with Clubsport Aero running Fister 3's and a decat then you get attention. Looks and sounds like it's from Hell. Even on the school run driving slowly.

All to do with the car and nothing to do with the driver. Same driver has been driving fast cars all his life and trust me people challenge this particular car all the time.

Now, if you are in a sky blue Targa with 16's and the SUV standard height, that's a different story
I dunno, maybe, if you arrive in a slammed triple black 993 with Clubsport Aero running Fister 3's and a decat then you want attention? Maybe you want to be challenged? I have no idea.

See, the funny thing about being challenged, it's totally up to you whether it happens. No one can make you feel challenged in the 993, you allow it to happen to you. You get to decide if your ego needs to take the bait.

Me, I'm happy to raise my window up and let 'em kick my ***. No possible way to be challenged with that mindset. I'm in control of whether I decide to feel challenged, not some doofus Speed Racer.

If you allow some stranger the power over you to effect your emotions to such a degree that you allow him to make you feel challenged, that's says a lot about you and your ability to be in control of your emotions. That's all you, not him.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Magicscott
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno, maybe, if you arrive in a slammed triple black 993 with Clubsport Aero running Fister 3's and a decat then you want attention? Maybe you want to be challenged? I have no idea.

See, the funny thing about being challenged, it's totally up to you whether it happens. No one can make you feel challenged in the 993, you allow it to happen to you. You get to decide if your ego needs to take the bait.

Me, I'm happy to raise my window up and let 'em kick my ***. No possible way to be challenged with that mindset. I'm in control of whether I decide to feel challenged, not some doofus Speed Racer.

If you allow some stranger the power over you to effect your emotions to such a degree that you allow him to make you feel challenged, that's says a lot about you and your ability to be in control of your emotions. That's all you, not him.
goofballdeluxe is on to something here. I can't say that I've been directly challenged at a stop light or while rolling, but I have definitely had other drivers follow me, pace me, or pull up beside and eventually gives me a kind thumbs up! I've even had a few cars follow me to my exit, so I pull into a well lit gas station and they come over to tell me how much they love the car and have always wanted to own an air cooled Porsche. So I think folks just love the distinct sound of these flat-sixes and just wants you to rev up the engine a couple of blips to hear that beautiful sound! That's all!

Magic
Old 06-20-2019, 10:03 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't think anyone will dare to challenge me if I retrofit a 997 engine with 996 headlights into a 993.
The following users liked this post:
RudyP (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

No one mentioned challenging them back, we're not teenagers. The original post was asking if people get challenged in a 993. Saying it the fault of the Porsche driver is nonsense.

And I don't appreciate the insinuation that because my car looks bad *** I drive like a pillock. Don't be so judgemental.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meenrod
No one mentioned challenging them back, we're not teenagers. The original post was asking if people get challenged in a 993. Saying it the fault of the Porsche driver is nonsense.

And I don't appreciate the insinuation that because my car looks bad *** I drive like a pillock. Don't be so judgemental.
Either you get it, or you don't. If you can't understand it, I won't be able to explain it to you.

You're reading too much into things; I never said anything about being teenagers. I also never said your car was bad ***, or anything about how you drive.

It's more about not letting strangers get the best of you over silliness like road games. Unless you like doing that silly things like that. In that case, hopefully, you are a teenager.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:00 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Not really, since I rarely drive in town. I'm usually on a back road instead.

But you'll always come across some person suffering from SPS (Short Pecker Syndrome). The funny thing is, they would probably be last on the track. I even had one Porsche owner in my local club challenge me. Strange that Porsche never called him up to act as their lead driver. lol

Quick Reply: Getting challenged on a daily basis.