Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing scratches from a cabrio window..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 03:59 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Removing scratches from a cabrio window..

How to remove scratches? I have a few Idea's but I am waiting to try them... I got some scratches in my window and Need to remove them... Its plastic, So I am thinking that I prolly could use something like rubbing compound (softly) or just car polish to get rid of the scratches what you think?
Old 06-27-2003, 05:02 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use plastic polish (MacGuire's, etc)...available at motorcycle shops for removing scratches out of the fairings and helmet visors.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:11 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Meguiar's do a great product for just this problem.

PJC
Old 06-27-2003, 09:52 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First the window needs to be very clean. before starting. I use 3M hand glaze or P21 cleanser applied to worn cotton tee shirt and place the cleaner on tee shirt and rub lightly in back and forth motion, not circles. Than wipe off with another clean worn tee shirt.

If scratches are removed, than use P21 wax to seal and polish. Again all washed cotton tee shirts (no bleach, or softeners in wash). Can also use micro fiber, but I've been using cotton white tee shirts with great results.

If the cleaner/hand glaze does not remove the scratches, I use the cleaner/hand glaze again with a finger nail dab of Blue Magic, and clean again.

I found this to work a bit better than Meguiar's products 10/17/18, and is bit easier.

Lastly, I often found the inside of the window is causing some of the scratches too, so would need to do the inside as well.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to your local pet/fish store and buy Novus 1, 2, & 3. I can't remember which, but one is for heavy scratches, one for light scratches, and one is an anti-static protectant. Follow the directions. These were made for acrylic fish tanks. I clean mine every month. My window is in perfect shape. No yellowing, nothing.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:34 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
A foam applicator will do the best job for the application of the cleaner. It applies the product most uniformly and makes the psi of your fingers more even. Both very important. Use pure foam, not terry covered.

Cloth and terry fibers both mat down and bunch up causing uneven distribution of the abrasive in the cleaner. This itself can cause micro-marring.

Use back and forth motions only.

Another good product for maintenance and protection (not scratch removal) is Plexus plastic cleaner/protectant. Great stuff!

check autopia.org for more info.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:35 PM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Can the window be removed for easier cleaning? I've cleaned mine before with Meguiers 17 I sorta did it half-assed so didn't expect much. I need to start doing it more often, I've never spent much time on the cab windows of my cars.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, the window can not be easily removed.

I use Meguires or Zaino on mine every month. Also like Mo said, don't forget the inside! You can work like crazy on the outside to try and get it pristine with no luck. Then when you wake up and realize there are two sides, and you actually clean the inside, you'll be amazed at how nice it can look.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:15 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have used the BlueMagic (available at auto parts stores like Pep Boys)with good results. I have yet to do the inside because of the anticipated PITA. At 6'6" 240 lbs it's hard enough to get into the front seats let alone position myself to get access to and clean the back window; though Tom W may have inspired me to try.

What are your thoughts about using a random orbital to get an even application?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Random orbit = not worth the effort.

Simple hand application with easy to moderate pressure works fine.

Quick Reply: Removing scratches from a cabrio window..