Airbox drilling question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 09:47 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Airbox drilling question

Searched the archives, and didn't come up with an answer...

It seems that many small holes, ala true motorsound option, are supposed to be better than a few big ones, but I noticed on the motorsound option the holes are only drilled over a specific portion of the airbox.

Has anyone experimented with more holes over more of the airbox, but in the same diameter of as the motorsound holes?

Also, anyone know how big those holes are?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
JPS:

This is not too scientific; just drill 5-6 1.5" holes in the cover and that works just fine.

IMHO, the Motorsound holes are more for sound, more than increased airflow.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:31 PM
BigBadDad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look on the inside of a non-motorsound airbox you can see a pattern of raised circles that mimicks the drilling for the motorsound airbox. I used that as a template. Pick a drill bit that matches and have fun!

-John
Old 06-26-2003, 11:51 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would save your airbox cover and just run sans cover. Someone here on the list bought socket clips and just clipped the airfilter on and put foam around the clutch hose. It works real well and you do not have to trash your (expensive) cover.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by GratefulJED:
<strong>It works real well and you do not have to trash your (expensive) cover. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If anyone is worried about trashing their original cover, don't. They can be picked up relatively cheap on ebay. Or you can buy mine.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:01 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by GratefulJED:
<strong>I would save your airbox cover and just run sans cover. Someone here on the list bought socket clips and just clipped the airfilter on and put foam around the clutch hose. It works real well and you do not have to trash your (expensive) cover. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That was me. There’s a picture here (click on “Air Filter”):

<a href="http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/tom_993/lst?.dir=/My+Porsche&.view=l" target="_blank">http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/tom_993/lst?.dir=/My+Porsche&.view=l</a>

It can be pretty loud a full throttle with the cover removed. I scared my wife once. She thought something was wrong with the car.

It’s also possible to snap the snorkel out from the air box lid. This option is also reversible, and it’s less loud than no cover at all.

Tom
’95 993
Old 06-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jos,

You should take a drive down Highway 1 over the 4th weekend and stop by my house. I have the drilled airbox cover you can hear and you can see what the car feels like with the PSS-9 suspension and RS-sways. I also have a drillpress, so if you want to drill your cover, it can be done so it still looks good. You can also tell me how much you laughed at my Thunderhill video.

Tom
Old 06-27-2003, 01:21 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<strong>I would save your airbox cover and just run sans cover. Someone here on the list bought socket clips and just clipped the airfilter on and put foam around the clutch hose. It works real well and you do not have to trash your (expensive) cover. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What is the clutch hose? What is it there for? Why should/would you cover?

Basically I cut larger rectangular openings on my cover. Is this not effecient?
Old 06-27-2003, 01:29 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by nota_troll:
<strong>What is the clutch hose? What is it there for? Why should/would you cover?

Basically I cut larger rectangular openings on my cover. Is this not effecient?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Air is forced through the clutch for cooling. This air picks up a lot of clutch dust. In order to reduce the total pollution from the car, the air is ducted to the air filter, where the filter catches the dust. If you don’t cover this hose, the dust goes all over the engine compartment.

The rectangular openings are probably fine, as long as you are happy with the sound.

Tom
’95 993
Old 06-27-2003, 02:02 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

tom_993-If I'm reading this right then the wouldn't the hose covering need to be removed/cleaned? What do you use to cover?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:28 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by nota_troll:
<strong>tom_993-If I'm reading this right then the wouldn't the hose covering need to be removed/cleaned? What do you use to cover?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yep. I bought a PCV filter for some other car at my local Pep Boys for a couple of bucks. You can see it in the picture referenced above. I currently run with the cover on and the hose in place, but I have removed the snorkle. I like this better. I switch things around on a whim, though.

Tom
'95 993
Old 06-27-2003, 02:28 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Oops, double post
Old 06-27-2003, 02:41 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Makes this simple mod a little less simple.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Guys

If anyone is interested I have the exact pattern of holes than the Motor-sound air box.

Made it on ACAD .
Just print it on calk paper and drill above it with firsta 2mm drill then with a 5 mm .Did mine and have the best sound!!

Send me a mail if interested at grbeiz@inco.com.lb
Old 06-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Forgot to add that when I am bored from the sound or want to change back , I have made two small plates that will cover the holes .Will stick it with silicone and can be removed and replaced as many times as you want!

Quick Reply: Airbox drilling question