993 Forum 1995-1998

The Future value of air cooled 911s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I’ve been very involved in muscle cars for many years and experienced the run up in prices in the mid 2000’s first hand when I owned 2 67 Z28’s and an LS6 Chevelle that all tripled-plus in value. I got into 993’s in 2008 because I didn’t think that the prices that muscle cars were commanding was worth it to me anymore.

Prices are dropping now and a number of collections are being sold off. The reason is simple...just go to a cruise night or car show and look at all the grey hair! I did an age survey on 993 owners on this site few months ago and based on those results, 993 demand will be strong for at least another 20 - 30 years.
Onami,

You brought up a memory when I turned 28 years old. My then girlfriend gave me a birthday card that read on the front "Grey hairs are beautiful". The inside read " ask any man who is bald."
Old 05-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
On the other hand, recent events have proven there's good money being made convincing folks of the narrative that the sky is falling while proposing things that do not really address environmental issues but enrich a chosen few.
Andy :-)
Truth! Love it.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:59 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Or convert your ICE classic to a electric motor/battery... as is being done today. Less weight, more torque and HP.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:34 PM
norbtx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Recharge stations will have to be as plentiful as gas stations and re-charging will have to be completed in a matter of just a few minutes.

Why? The beauty of EV is you charge it every night at home for the commute the next day.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by norbtx
Why? The beauty of EV is you charge it every night at home for the commute the next day.
All well and good as long as you don't venture out farther than half your useable range but, to take a trip will require a vast network of re-charge stations with enough positions to accommodate multiple travelers at the same time and a matter of mere minutes to achieve at least 75-80% charge capacity. BTW, the batteries in EV's and hybrids have a finite life. There will be "sticker shock" when replacement time rolls around. But, then, the "disposable society" will just turn the car in to the recycler and buy another EV.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 PM
norbtx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

All well and good as long as you don't venture out farther than half your useable range but, to take a trip will require a vast network of re-charge stations with enough positions to accommodate multiple travelers at the same time and a matter of mere minutes to achieve at least 75-80% charge capacity. BTW, the batteries in EV's and hybrids have a finite life. There will be "sticker shock" when replacement time rolls around. But, then, the "disposable society" will just turn the car in to the recycler and buy another EV.
So what? Every car part has a finite life. Have you read this forum at all? At least you didn't mention the easily debunked fake report that batteries only last 100K miles. And as with any new technology, it'll get cheaper and cheaper. Yea eventually we'll need more charging stations but will we need as many as we have gas station today? Doubtful, since you can place a charger just about anywhere and again most will just charge at home.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:50 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

That is just the thing, it is new tech. I don't want to be stuck with a Sony betamax, DAT, or Laser disc (obsolete) when the battery tech has moved on to the equivalent of DVR's.

I agree somewhat with NC Trackrat, if they can get batteries to charge in 15 min or less, with charging stations everywhere, 300+ range, 30k price. Then the average guy can think about it as a primary vehicle. Never mind what the average guy actually needed / will use, its that perception that will be difficult to overcome.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:15 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I said this before and I'll say it again, I love your avatar gif.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Battery tech is always improving, so it's only a matter of time before the tech has all the good facets (high capacity/range, low cost, fast charge speed, ecologically manufactured) with little or none of the bad facets.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
Battery tech is always improving, so it's only a matter of time before the tech has all the good facets (high capacity/range, low cost, fast charge speed, ecologically manufactured) with little or none of the bad facets.
Humm -- good aspects to look forward to,
  • The degrading of our personal freedoms when the government can track your location with precision wherever you go.
  • The joy and feeling of freedom and independence that spawned the automotive enthusiast will be absent.
  • The staggering and always present unintended consequences when technology is viewed as the answer to our problems
Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Humm -- good aspects to look forward to,
  • The degrading of our personal freedoms when the government can track your location with precision wherever you go.
  • The joy and feeling of freedom and independence that spawned the automotive enthusiast will be absent.
  • The staggering and always present unintended consequences when technology is viewed as the answer to our problems
You forgot one:

• You kids get off of my lawn, dag nabbit!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:22 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

withdrawn

Last edited by pp000830; 05-29-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

By 2030, there'll be very few people who will know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle! so sad!
"The report from U.S. News and World Report show only 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift. It says that because of advancements in automatic transmissions and fuel economy, only about 5 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. today come with a stick shift.Oct 11, 2016"
Old 05-29-2019, 10:01 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

The "hill-holding" feature on most newer manuals, even my '07 335i, would get more potential drivers to sample, maybe then buy these cars, if such was demonstrated or disseminated. Neither is done.
Most mainstream salespeople, new and used, don't know how to drive manuals, so game over before it starts.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

By 2030, there'll be very few people who will know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle! so sad!
"The report from U.S. News and World Report show only 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift. It says that because of advancements in automatic transmissions and fuel economy, only about 5 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. today come with a stick shift.Oct 11, 2016"
This was a problem when I bought my first car 15 years ago. My parents had bought my first car and they had refused to buy me a manual at the time. I didn’t have access to a manual transmission and none were available for rental. Finally found a friend who had an old Golf that I could practice driving around the neighborhood for one day. The first time I ever drove in traffic was in an s2000 driving around the Atlanta perimeter. Talk about stressful.

I’d imagine it’s twice as hard to find someone with a manual for practice. It’s very intimidating to buy a car that you don’t really know how to drive.

Quick Reply: The Future value of air cooled 911s?