Ruf BTR2 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts
Default Ruf BTR2 question

Not sure if I should ask here or in 993 turbo, but does anyone know what the set up for the engine was on a RUF BTR2?

I have read the wiki wiki and the articles cited therein.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruf_BTR2

I suppose I should call rstrada and ask, but does anyone know if RUF still offers it as a conversion? Their current price list only has the Turbo R conversion of an existing turbo. If not, I assume the set up could be reasonably approximated. Has anyone here done something similar? My 95 C4 cab is running wonderfully, but it is higher miles and I am getting the itch to upgrade. A single turbo set up seems ideal to me. I know it will be twice or more what the car is worth to do it, but that I don’t care so much about.

What I am asking I guess is what all was involved? Cams, P&C, intake, turbo, exhaust, intercooler, deck lid, ECU flash (or new ECU) etc. I know they were all based off C2 coupes, but I can’t think of a reason it would not work on a C4 cab.

Any input or insight is welcome.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Shoot a PM to member "CP" since he use to own one.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

I suppose I should call rstrada and ask, but does anyone know if RUF still offers it as a conversion?
What I am asking I guess is what all was involved? Cams, P&C, intake, turbo, exhaust, intercooler, deck lid, ECU flash (or new ECU) etc. I know they were all based off C2 coupes, but I can’t think of a reason it would not work on a C4 cab.

Any input or insight is welcome.
Yes, Arling knows all things Ruf! Interestingly this came up in a discussion a few nights ago with a few other Rennlisters, one considering a similar mod to his Turbo. As I understand it, yes, Ruf can still do the conversion. I beleive there is essentially a menu of items that can be selected from.

really your best source of current up to date info is to contact RStrada.

BTW, you should be sitting down when you hear the cost.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I would also consider a promotive conversion. I drove a C4S with a Promotive twin turbo conversion when I was looking at 993s. All internals were converted to turbo or better spec. The car had 550hp and was incredibly fast! I believe the conversion done at a place called Protec (I think in NJ) was around $30K. From what I have seen, you will pay a premium for the RUF namesake.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:33 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
Yes, Arling knows all things Ruf! Interestingly this came up in a discussion a few nights ago with a few other Rennlisters, one considering a similar mod to his Turbo. As I understand it, yes, Ruf can still do the conversion. I beleive there is essentially a menu of items that can be selected from.

really your best source of current up to date info is to contact RStrada.

BTW, you should be sitting down when you hear the cost.
Thanks. I know RUF still offers the turbo to turbo R conversion so that person should be set. I will call rstrada when I have a chance.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

evilfij,

The BTR package for 993 is no longer available. A lot has to do with overall cost not making sense to revive the program. The Turbo R upgrade is still available because it's much easier to upgrade from the Porsche factory 993 Turbo engine. The other package from the old days that still exists is the RCT program. RUF had some key components remade few years ago due to popularity of the specific program.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rstrada
evilfij,

The BTR package for 993 is no longer available. A lot has to do with overall cost not making sense to revive the program. The Turbo R upgrade is still available because it's much easier to upgrade from the Porsche factory 993 Turbo engine. The other package from the old days that still exists is the RCT program. RUF had some key components remade few years ago due to popularity of the specific program.

Thanks! Is the RCT engine package available for 993 or only 964?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Thanks! Is the RCT engine package available for 993 or only 964?
RCT program is only for 964.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:39 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My BTR engine was installed by Vinnie Colosino at Gulf Performance in Pompano Beach ( vinnie@gulfperformance.com ). BUT, it was 22 years ago!
Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

CP=Pong.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:07 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhiteCab
My BTR engine was installed by Vinnie Colosino at Gulf Performance in Pompano Beach ( vinnie@gulfperformance.com ). BUT, it was 22 years ago!
White cab, was that in a cab? I would like to see pictures regardless. There is a BTR for sale in Miami, but it is a coupe.

Quick Reply: Ruf BTR2 question