Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions on 993 C4S cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,247 Likes on 2,733 Posts

I'm leary of BAT, but if you are able to get someone to check this one out and get a PPI -- it could be a contender. Between the higher miles and the history of elective full repaint, the selling price should be lower than normal. Looks like repaint was done at Champion Porsche, and I personally wouldn't care if it meant a good deal is to be had and the repaint was done well, but some people are funny about that. It's a pretty C2S (widebody).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rera-s-3-6-10/
Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm leary of BAT, but if you are able to get someone to check this one out and get a PPI -- it could be a contender. Between the higher miles and the history of elective full repaint, the selling price should be lower than normal. Looks like repaint was done at Champion Porsche, and I personally wouldn't care if it meant a good deal is to be had and the repaint was done well, but some people are funny about that. It's a pretty C2S (widebody).

Those Blue Calipers are hideous! The grey interior is blah. I would keep looking.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:11 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

I'm missing it - where's it show that it was repainted?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:16 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Those Blue Calipers are hideous! The grey interior is blah. I would keep looking.
Calipers are fixable.

I don't care for grey either, but some people aren't particular. Wasn't sure about OP. There are some compromises with this one - I'm not a huge blue fan either, but this one looks pretty nice color wise. It could be a good pickup, in terms of value, for a C2S. Assuming the bones are good.

Originally Posted by tstafford
I'm missing it - where's it show that it was repainted?
It's in the message thread.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 523 Posts

Calipers are fixable.

I don't care for grey either, but some people aren't particular. Wasn't sure about OP. There are some compromises with this one - I'm not a huge blue fan either, but this one looks pretty nice color wise. It could be a good pickup, in terms of value, for a C2S. Assuming the bones are good.

When I see owners do this kinda stuff to their cars I question the integrity of the rest of the car... just sayin’
Old 05-12-2019, 10:46 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

When I see owners do this kinda stuff to their cars I question the integrity of the rest of the car... just sayin’
lol..fair enough. You are buying the previous owner as much as the car, that much is true. Though I bought my car from a dealer, I was able to have a long conversation with the previous owner and that gave me more confidence in the purchase.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
A 60K or even an 80K example with all the expensive stuff already done is probably the sweet spot on value for a car you are planning on driving. As it is further down the depreciation scale but can be a really solid car.
Andy
I might suggest considering this segment of the market as it was the exact spot I focused on during my search at this time last year. I purchased a ‘98 C2S from the 3rd owner that had openly disclosed all known issues and negotiated them into the final price. The price allowed me to do everything the car needed, including several items I elected to do on my own, and I was able to stay within FMV of a sorted car with everything done.

If you don’t mind the time it takes to complete some of the tasks, it provides you the opportunity to get to know the car intimately, helps to choose what to do now or later which permits the planning of any future budgets, and makes the car exactly what you want it to be. The mileage range also provides you the opportunity to enjoy it without worrying as much about depreciation, and if you actually stick to your annual driving range of 1,000 to 1,500 miles (which I doubt you’ll be able to do ), it will still take 13 to 20 years to hit the 100,000 mile mark. Even then, and with the proper maintenance history, a 100k mile 993 will still hold some respectable value.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:03 AM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Agree, if there is an obvious repair that chases question, it is safe to assume that there may be others lurking out of immediate site.

lol..fair enough. You are buying the previous owner as much as the car, that much is true. Though I bought my car from a dealer, I was able to have a long conversation with the previous owner and that gave me more confidence in the purchase.
There is so much to gain by speaking to any prior owner. In your case, it carried more weight in that he had no skin in the game to get the sale ...
Old 05-12-2019, 11:51 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by 4dRennwagen
  1. Car 1 supposedly had clutch done 2 years ago and some transmission work but I don't have any details. If struts need replacement that would be an excuse to give it the proper ROW ride height anyway, but I'm sure that's a $2k or $3k job, right?
  2. What do you think the actual realistic market value of #2 is?

1) 1997 Silver C4S with Aerokit at Town Porsche -- I would be concerned that any car that needs clutch work before 70K~80K miles or synchros on the odometer has been hard driven. Not to walk away, just be buyer beware. and find out what the work was. The struts cost between $2K & 3.5K depending on what you want then the labor to install then and an alignment figure another $1K to $1,5K. Replacing them yourself is a driveway jack stand job that will take an entire Saturday morning to do. then an alignment runs $275 in my neck of the woods as these cars need to be aligned by a guy with the correct tool to set the rear kinematic toe, in most locations that is a dealer.
2) 1997 Silver C4S with 22k miles at Sloan Motors -- I would say between $55K & $65K from a private owner. After two or three years of driving it the $10k value/price premium evaporates
Old 05-12-2019, 11:56 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

1) 1997 Silver C4S with Aerokit at Town Porsche -- I would be concerned that any car that needs clutch work before 70K~80K miles or synchros on the odometer has been hard driven. Not to walk away, just be buyer beware. and find out what the work was. The struts cost between $2K & 3.5K depending on what you want then the labor to install then and an alignment figure another $1K to $1,5K. Replacing them yourself is a driveway jack stand job that will take an entire Saturday morning to do. then an alignment runs $275 in my neck of the woods as these cars need to be aligned by a guy with the correct tool to set the rear kinematic toe, in most locations that is a dealer.
2) 1997 Silver C4S with 22k miles at Sloan Motors -- I would say between $55K & $65K from a private owner. After two or three years of driving it the $10k value/price premium evaporates
$55-65k for a 22k mile ‘97 C4s in good condition? I wouldn’t agree with that valuation. That’s up to a six figure car, IMO.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:03 PM
4dRennwagen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Below is the pricing data from our kind friend Jay (hopefully he doesn't mind my reposting since it is highly relevant to your question). You can see what actual cars have sold for to determine whether the cars are priced right or over priced. FWIW - The first one is priced a tad high but it's a dealer while the other two do seem high to me.
Quick recommendations:
  • I'd keep some dry powder in your budget for work you want to do right out of the gate. I doubt you can buy a low miles C4S that won't need at least a few things to get it where you want it
  • If at all possible buy from an enthusiast. Less unknowns, their love of the car will show, possibly less initial work to do
  • Don't skip the PPI regardless of anything else. I ended up paying for two PPIs on private sale cars and they were instrumental in helping me make what I'm confident was a good purchase. I was surprised to learn that Porsche dealers are happy to do PPI on 993. I had one done in Pittsburgh and one in Florida. They were of different levels of detail/price but sufficient to get me what I needed. Both included compression test/leak down which I think are worthwhile
  • Paint meter the car unless you truly don't care. Arguably if you plan to own the car for a long time some paint work (as long as it was done right) doesn't matter. But it does to me and I wanted a car with none (or at worst a front bumper respray). Remember that the current owner may legitimately not know if there's been paint work and the Carfax could be inaccurate. The paint meter is a good final check
Net/net: I think you are on the right track. PM me if you think I can help on any questions. Folks were very kind to me when I was searching (and since then) so I'd love to return the goodwill.

Good luck and don't rush it,
Tim
Super-helpful info, Tim. I really appreciate your detail also about the costs and the experience. Sounds like you were about where I am now. It's a somewhat exhaustive (but super-fun) process and your experience helps me see the other side. Good idea keeping 5-10% cushion in the budget for the "unplanned" after purchase. I appreciate the offer to discuss other questions in more detail and will PM you. :-)
Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
There is a clean C4S on Classiccars.com. White, 48,xxx miles, $109,000. worth a look.
Will check it out, thanks!
I like the gray interiors when they appear fresh...but some look worn out like the one at Town motors. The black interiors look like they may hold up appearance better. Either way, they sometimes look more tired in person than in photos,
That makes me wonder too, thanks. Often "liberties" were taken with all kinds of little things...
Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Mooty is selling 2 X 993 C4S cars. Not sure of price but am sure issues would be disclosed and are clean.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:02 PM
4dRennwagen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 993pbug
I might suggest considering this segment of the market as it was the exact spot I focused on during my search at this time last year. I purchased a ‘98 C2S from the 3rd owner that had openly disclosed all known issues and negotiated them into the final price. The price allowed me to do everything the car needed, including several items I elected to do on my own, and I was able to stay within FMV of a sorted car with everything done.

If you don’t mind the time it takes to complete some of the tasks, it provides you the opportunity to get to know the car intimately, helps to choose what to do now or later which permits the planning of any future budgets, and makes the car exactly what you want it to be. The mileage range also provides you the opportunity to enjoy it without worrying as much about depreciation, and if you actually stick to your annual driving range of 1,000 to 1,500 miles (which I doubt you’ll be able to do ), it will still take 13 to 20 years to hit the 100,000 mile mark. Even then, and with the proper maintenance history, a 100k mile 993 will still hold some respectable value.
Thanks, I agree getting to do some of the things so I'll know they're how they're done is a great way to "get to know" the car. Within reason, of course.

1) Good point--I need to ask about that if they know the reason and exactly what was done.

Originally Posted by chsu74
Mooty is selling 2 X 993 C4S cars. Not sure of price but am sure issues would be disclosed and are clean.
Thanks, don't see them in for sale section...will reach out to him.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Calipers are fixable.

Thanks. That does seem like a strange thing to need. I wonder what the story is behind it. But paint metering would tell a lot - easily detect whether there’s any bondo.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

You my friend, are high as a kite. - NO CHANCE you find a WB C4S with this few miles for that price. MAYBE $ 85-90.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 993 C4S cars