Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea from 996 tt guys-How old where You?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 03:23 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
CJ,

Did you play in the Cape Cod Baseball League?

We go to about 20 games every summer.

Doug on Cape Cod
Old 01-24-2003, 03:28 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to wait 16 years (not a driving age issue...read on). It was 1971 when my neighbor bought a new silver 911S Targa. It was love at first sight. I was in elementary school, and would offer to wash his car for him for rides in his car. Needless to say, all of my bookreports as a child after that were on Porsches, Dr. Ferdinand etc...

16 years later, I started my career and bought a used 944 (couldn't afford a 911 at the time). Three Porsches later, I am still as much in love as I was as a wee lad.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:35 PM
SoCal-CJ (993S)
Instructor

DC,
DC (nice stereo setup link)

No, when I was in school(2000) I played in the Alaskan Summer League- similar to Cape Cod. Most of my buddies played CC, I hear it is the place to be...

alaska was great, but it was like walking into 1986, everybody wore black jeans, a mullet, and a rock band t-shirt. As far as the ladies, an Alaska 8 is a California 4.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Can an old geezer join in here? My sister dated a guy with a pretty nice 1969 912. He let me drive it, and I was hooked... except it needed more power (I never could understand 912s). My first Porsche was a 1970 911E that I purchased in 1972. A beautiful car that "morphed" itself into an SCCA and IMSA GTO/GTU RSR with fuel cell, full cage, and on-board fire system. I raced that car successfully for many years. Ah... my misspent youth...
Old 01-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by SoCal-CJ:
<strong>DC,
alaska was great, but it was like walking into 1986, everybody wore black jeans, a mullet, and a rock band t-shirt.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">So that look is out? Damn.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by SoCal-CJ:
<strong> As far as the ladies, an Alaska 8 is a California 4.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">My friend played for Baltimore. While in Hagerstown (AAA), he was quoted in his hometown paper: "In Hagerstown, if you find a woman with a full set of teeth, you marry her." Hagerstown caught wind of it. Anyone with dentures got into the game for free one night after it got around.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:50 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

<strong>Mike

Yes, I play for the Texas Rangers. I am currently in the minor leagues (I finished 2002 in AA), but this year might be my big call up.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">CJ,

If you play for the Rangers and you're a pitcher (I assume from the avatar), I bet you'll be up at the majors really, really soon.

Where I grew up in Texas, Porsches were pretty sparse, so my exposure was in films. I think I first got the bug from seeing dad's 928 in Risky Business. Then I saw that red 944 in Sixteen Candles. From these films the thesis became clear: buy a Porsche and not only will you get a great car, but you will also always get the pretty girl! Anyways, two years ago when I could finally afford a Porsche I looked at 928 GTS' too before scooping up my 993.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:56 PM
4flynlow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I must admit I have dreamed of Porsches ever since my first ride in a 1970 911S.As a teenager my buddy's dad had it and I always admired it and told myself I would own one someday.A few years later I was doing auto detailing while attending high school and had the opportunity of driving a 1975 Turbo. The owner was a good customer of mine and had gone out of town for the weekend.I don't know what he was thinking but,before he left he handed me the keys to his house and the keys to his Turbo and Mercedes SL.Needless to say it was a classic weekend and not even Farris Buehler had a better time than I did. After the weekend and the safe return of the keys I vowed to my self that I would not buy a Porsche until I could have the Turbo.I am pleased to say I accomplished my vow and acquired a 1997 993 TT last year.I am amazed by it's performance and my only disappointment is it took me twenty six years to make it happen.Good things come to those who wait.

Quick Reply: Idea from 996 tt guys-How old where You?